• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fire density penalty
07-18-2013, 10:41 PM,
c_Question Mark  Fire density penalty
Please help me understand this mo' better:

As I understand the rules, if you have more than 10 men in one hex, a fire density penalty comes into effect that will benefit incoming fire (produce more casualties or increase the likelihood of more casualties).

And this penalty applies to total number of men and is not affected by the number of unit counters. For example a stack of five 2-man bazooka teams does NOT trigger the fire density penalty, but just one 12-man rifle squad DOES merit the penalty.

Am I even close to correct?
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 10:58 PM,
RE: Fire density penalty
It's not a penalty so much as a modifier. More than ten men (the number of counters is not important) modifies the lethality by ten percent per man. Less than ten men decreases the lethality by ten percent per man. So the lethality in an attack against a hex with two men is reduced to twenty percent of the total and an attack against a hex with twenty men is increased by two hundred percent. The negative modifier does not apply to sniper flagged weapons.

If you use the Alternate Fire Density rule, then the negative modifier is not reduced below fifty percent. With this rule, fire against a hex with between one and five men is fifty percent of the lethality.

Many players like to keep their leaders alone in a hex as they are pretty much immune to fire attacks. With the Alternate rule in place, this is a risky proposition and it is a better idea to stack the leader with another unit. I personally like this rule and would like to see it used more.
07-18-2013, 11:48 PM,
I don't use it 99.99% of the time. I think FWW wants it and maybe a few
non HPS scenarios in other SB titles.

Now this being said. Which setting is closer to real world?

Steve.
Stop turning my hobby war game into a "math class". Jester

Big Grin
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
07-19-2013, 12:39 AM,
(07-18-2013, 11:48 PM)Richie61 Wrote: Stop turning my hobby war game into a "math class". Jester

Big Grin

What's wrong with having a little old math class? LOL
[Image: fc452dd474lecture.gif]

That's a big asset to playing these type of games, we don't have to do the math, the game does it for us. Smile

Good questions Steve, and thanks for the answers Jeff.
07-19-2013, 02:01 AM,
I remember the days when Chad played Squad Battles Cheer, but he has been SO BUSY following
the Cubs he forgot about me.... Bag Hide
07-19-2013, 09:08 AM,
Chad is down with the OOTP...and so is me! (...wait...that didn't work...). Baseball season is half over Ed...he'll be back to play with us :)
07-19-2013, 11:31 AM,
(07-19-2013, 09:08 AM)gabeeg Wrote: Chad is down with the OOTP...and so is me! (...wait...that didn't work...). Baseball season is half over Ed...he'll be back to play with us :)

Chad has to be on cloud nine this year. Cubs aren't in last place (4th out of 5 teams) and only 15 games out of first place Jester
07-20-2013, 08:17 AM,
(07-19-2013, 11:31 AM)Richie61 Wrote:
(07-19-2013, 09:08 AM)gabeeg Wrote: Chad is down with the OOTP...and so is me! (...wait...that didn't work...). Baseball season is half over Ed...he'll be back to play with us :)

Chad has to be on cloud nine this year. Cubs aren't in last place (4th out of 5 teams) and only 15 games out of first place Jester

If we could only play the White Sox and the Pirates for the rest of the year, we'd hands down make it to the playoffs! Big Grin
07-21-2013, 08:10 AM,
OOTP is as addicting as Squad Battles. I made the mistake of trying the iPad version and ended up getting OOTP 13. It's got so much stuff that I'd have to leave my family in order to truly utilize it all.

The reason I quit that game at 6.5 was I found it started to creep into my work time. I just couldn't stop analyzing rosters, drafts, minor league players, etc. I had to stop before I ended up the best homeless OOTP GM in the world...

As for the math. If you have a strong grasp on the math, from a tactical sense, it gives you a bit of an advantage. Combat being what it is, it isn't magic, but it can help you make tough calls if you think that the math isn't in your favor. Realistically, assessing the situation in a combat sense most of the time works out the same as in the math sense, which means that Tiller designed his program well....
07-21-2013, 08:54 AM,
Okay - I'll bite - - - - - what is OOTP ?