• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Arctic Front: Into Karelia (H2H TESTING IN PROGRESS)
07-17-2013, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM by Crossroads.)
Thumbs_Up  Arctic Front: Into Karelia (H2H TESTING IN PROGRESS)
This scenario draws inspiration from Avalanche Press' Panzer Grenadier board game and its' Arctic Front book:

Spoiler Expand
Although paying tribute by using original Arctic Front scenario names, all scenarios are of new and original design. Maps are painstakingly created anew by using Google Earth with support from historic maps. All battles and units involved in them are researched and recreated, and the consequent OOBs, unit entry positions, victory levels etc are designed anew by us.

[Image: af_teaser_zps1023cdd9.png]

JTCS map art by Grey Wolf (Resinslinger)

This scenario draws inspiration from the Arctic Front scenario of the same name:

Into Karelia
http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=sc...id=AFDx018

The Finnish Aunus Army waited until its flanks had been secured at Repola and the Karelian Isthmus before resuming its advance into East Karelia. The Finns assembled a large artillery park and their lone tank battalion for the operation, designed to roll the Red Army back behind the Svir River.

The VI Army Corps operational plan on 4 September 1941:

Spoiler Expand
[Image: vi_ac_19410904_zps12af1a65.jpg]

The battle for Tuulos:

Spoiler Expand
[Image: tuuloksenjoki_19410904_zpsc11592ec.jpg]
Maps from Raunio et al.: "Sodan taisteluja 2 - Jatkosota"
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2013, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013, 07:22 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: Arctic Front: Into Karelia (IN PROGRESS)
Just received a most beautiful map from Chris. Now there's no excuse for not getting the first version out sooner or later. Month of November targeted for a first version! Helmet Smile

--

I am probably going provide all my scenarios with the Arctic Front prefix, to make the Finnish front scenarios distinguishable in the scenario database. Here's the initial scenario description for this one:

--
ARCTIC FRONT: INTO KARELIA
September 4, 1941

[Image: 61457_r500.jpg]
Tanks crossing a pontoon bridge (5 Sept 1941). © SA-kuva.fi

Complexity: 8 / Turns: 30 / Modified complexity: 8 * 30 = 240 / Size modifier: 6

First side Axis

Visibility [7]
Allied Air 5; Ammo 70; Smoke 12
Axis Air 4; Ammo 70; Smoke 36

AI Allied 40; Axis 80
Major Loss 350; Minor Loss 700; Minor Win 1000; Major Win 1250

4 September, 1941

[Tuulos (Tuloksa), Olonets Karelia, 120 km NE from Leningrad, Russia] [H2H] [HIS] [GD]

Having finally secured their flank, the Finnish Army of Karelia was now looking to renew their push towards River Svir. Spearheading the action was the Finnish 5thDivision, enforced with the sole Tank Battalion the Finns had, together with a formidable artillery park. Facing them were the elements of the Red Army Olonets Operative Group, having used the three week pause in fighting to effectively dug in behind the river Tuulos.

In 0500 hrs of September 4, after a heavy artillery barrage, the Finnish engineers began building pontoon bridges for the forward elements to cross the river under the cover of a thick smoke screen. The 5th Division plan called for the weaker right flank to engage the Red Army defence line, while a strong left flank would push through and cut the road behind them in an encircling action, while also preventing the Red Army reserves from entering the area. Right behind them, the 4th Light Infantry was ready to use any opportunity available to them to break forward towards the town of Olonets.

---

(Scenario picture: 'Tanks crossing a pontoon bridge, 5 Sept 1941'. Source: SA-kuva.fi)
Scenario map is computer art by Christopher Buck

[ALL: N AF: N VV][1.05]

Designer notes: Tuulos was one of the first strong combined arms operations for the Finnish forces during the early days of the Continuation War. Having allowed the Red Army to dig in for a month, they faced an intimidating task of crossing a rather large river, then breaking through to the South. The lone Finnish tank battalion was reserved for this operation, among a strong artillery park and infantry well supported with engineers and combat engineers.

---

5.Division Col I. Karhu

- Battle Group S / JR 23 Lt Col M. von Schrowe
--- I/23 Maj O.Lampinen; II/23 Maj T. Sorri; III/22 Capt P Uusitalo;
--- 6x BT-7 + Tank Coy Snellman; 3./PionP 21; Flamethrower platoon; Combat Engineer Platoon

- Battle Group L / JR 22 Col M. Laurila
--- I/22 Maj L.Oksanen; II/22 Capt L.Lehtonen; III/23 Maj H.Lahtinen; 2./PionP 21
--- TykR S: 2./JärPsto3; I/KTR3; III/KTR3; I/KTR4; RaskPsto1
--- Reserve: Kev.Os 4 Maj G.Hulden + 24.TykK

- Sissi Detachment Laajoki
--- Infiltrated to enemy rear, with orders to cut the road to Olonets.

Aunus Operative Group (Division strength) Lt Gen V.D.Tsvetajev

- 2. and 3./ 3.Marine Bde, Col Roslov;
- 1/452th MotIR; 719th IR (50% strength)

- Reserve (reinforcements):
--- 2. and 3./452 MotIR (50% strength),
--- Detachment of 718th IR;
--- Armored Car Regt
--- Separate Artillery Regt, Mortar Coy
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply