• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WitE PBEM question
07-15-2013, 03:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2013, 03:05 AM by Freyr Oakenshield.)
c_Question Mark  WitE PBEM question
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying War in the East, but first I wanted to do some research into this game so as not to buy a pig in a poke.

One thing I'm interested in is the PBEM mechanism in this game. I've read on various forums that you need to be connected to a server in order to PBEM - is that so? Could someone exaplain how it works in simple terms. For example, I play TOAW a lot and in TOAW, you simply play your turn, the game automatically saves it at the end, and then you manually send the saved file to you opponent (usually) via email. Of course, you don't have to be connected to a special TOAW server. How is it different from WitE?
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2013, 03:55 AM,
RE: WitE PBEM question
You can play this game using the normal "end your turn, email file to opponent and so on" just like you do most other computer games. However you have the option to get an account on the Slitherine server and use it to exchange files with your opponent rather then by email. Have an account but have never used it to play but a lot of the folks on Matrix site use it. I've done fine just using emailing game files back and forth. Go ahead and buy it, you'll be glad you did it.
07-15-2013, 04:35 AM,
(07-15-2013, 03:55 AM)KG_RangerBooBoo Wrote: You can play this game using the normal "end your turn, email file to opponent and so on" just like you do most other computer games. However you have the option to get an account on the Slitherine server and use it to exchange files with your opponent rather then by email. Have an account but have never used it to play but a lot of the folks on Matrix site use it. I've done fine just using emailing game files back and forth. Go ahead and buy it, you'll be glad you did it.

Does playing through the Slitherine account have any advantages over the ordinary PBEM-ing? Any benefits in terms of features or playability, or whatever?
07-15-2013, 06:24 AM,
(07-15-2013, 04:35 AM)freyr Wrote:
(07-15-2013, 03:55 AM)KG_RangerBooBoo Wrote: You can play this game using the normal "end your turn, email file to opponent and so on" just like you do most other computer games. However you have the option to get an account on the Slitherine server and use it to exchange files with your opponent rather then by email. Have an account but have never used it to play but a lot of the folks on Matrix site use it. I've done fine just using emailing game files back and forth. Go ahead and buy it, you'll be glad you did it.

Does playing through the Slitherine account have any advantages over the ordinary PBEM-ing? Any benefits in terms of features or playability, or whatever?

I think the only advantage would be that you don't have to attach or save files, the server puts them in the right place for you or you can just load them from the server. Not sure since I've never used it but I do believe that is the only advantage to using it. You can also post for opponents on the server also.