• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

This is why I hate WW2 documentaries
07-13-2013, 04:33 AM,
My 2 Cents  This is why I hate WW2 documentaries
If you go to this website:

http://www.comandosupremo.com/shop/itali...s-p-3.html

there is a film "Italian Airforce" and supposedly shows Italian bombers being attacked by UK spitfires. But if you know your aircraft and history, you will quickly recognize the Cliffs of Dover, the nose gunner/bomber of an HE111 and the tail fins of an ME110. The only part that is Italian is the beginning bombers at the start of the clip, and the burning bomber at the end.

Why is that we enthusiast can see these things, but people paid to to make such documentaries get it all wrong?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2013, 01:46 AM,
RE: This is why I hate WW2 documentaries
I'd say that kind of mistakes were also made in WW2 propaganda. I don't think someone who wasn't involved in the military was able to identify the vehicles, only the roundels or symbols.

And what about translated documentaries? They usually have loads of mistakes and badly translated words (especially Discovery Channel ones). Now imagine watching a documentary with wrong footage, bias and wrong translations. Heh!
07-14-2013, 06:45 AM,
(07-13-2013, 04:33 AM)Weasel Wrote: If you go to this website:

http://www.comandosupremo.com/shop/itali...s-p-3.html

there is a film "Italian Airforce" and supposedly shows Italian bombers being attacked by UK spitfires. But if you know your aircraft and history, you will quickly recognize the Cliffs of Dover, the nose gunner/bomber of an HE111 and the tail fins of an ME110. The only part that is Italian is the beginning bombers at the start of the clip, and the burning bomber at the end.

Why is that we enthusiast can see these things, but people paid to to make such documentaries get it all wrong?
As I recall there was an Italian Air Force unit that did fight in the Battle of Britain. jonny Whistle
07-15-2013, 10:59 PM,
I believe they used Italian aircraft, not 111s or 110s.
07-17-2013, 02:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013, 02:37 AM by Weasel.)
(07-14-2013, 01:46 AM)BBrus Wrote: I'd say that kind of mistakes were also made in WW2 propaganda. I don't think someone who wasn't involved in the military was able to identify the vehicles, only the roundels or symbols.

And what about translated documentaries? They usually have loads of mistakes and badly translated words (especially Discovery Channel ones). Now imagine watching a documentary with wrong footage, bias and wrong translations. Heh!

They all suck so badly, I have given up watching them. I use to watch TANK OVER HAUL but then they compared the Elephant to the M109 and kept raving on how much better the M109 was over the elephant. Well they look similar so they must be the same....DUH. And these guys get paid $$$$.

Even movies the translation get messed up, my favourite is Das Boot and I normally watch it in German for the full experience but some of the subtitles don't even make sense. I can't remember exactly right now, but I know one part is when they are going into Gibraltar and the subtitles makes you go HUH?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
07-20-2013, 02:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013, 02:57 AM by BBrus.)
Comparing an Elephant to a M109? Hah! Hillarious.

Mistakes in the subtitles almost deserve a thread of their own. The subtitles found in original DVDs are usually written by professional translators, but that doesn't guarantee they are going to be right (History Channel documentaries are also supposed to be translated by trained translators, yet I spot mistakes quite frequently).

That reminds me of a complaint I sent to a website where you could watch movies, series and documentaries. I said that even though I appreciated the effort to create the subtitles just by listening to the dialogues (the DVD subtitles are made from the script in the original language), there were just too many mistakes and I asked if they could fix them or pay more attention to what the characters said. The answer was quite rude and basically stated that I couldn't complaint since it was done by volunteers. Volunteering to do something definitely doesn't mean it's acceptable to do things wrong!

Some producers get it right, luckily. For example, Battlestar: Gallactica. The Vipers (fighters of the ship's CAG) in the TV series use an actual brevity code in their comms! I couldn't believe my ears. :)
07-26-2013, 02:59 AM,
BSG - use to watch it all the time, have you seen the movie BSG - Blood and Chrome? Very good.
07-27-2013, 01:20 AM,
Yes, I liked it a lot. ☺ Hopefully it'll have enough success to make Sci-Fi Channel consider another BSG series. Perhaps one about the first cylon war? It'd be awesome!
09-06-2013, 04:55 AM,
I stay away from all Docs now..usually I've already read about what they are talking about and read in more detail.

I stick to my books.
Send this user an email
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM,
(07-27-2013, 01:20 AM)BBrus Wrote: Yes, I liked it a lot. ☺ Hopefully it'll have enough success to make Sci-Fi Channel consider another BSG series. Perhaps one about the first cylon war? It'd be awesome!

I like the original Cylons, although there is something to be said about a smoking hot blonde robot! And from Vancouver too, good Canadian girl.