• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but could use some help in Vietnam
06-26-2013, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM by heyhellowhatsnew.)
Help  Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but could use some help in Vietnam
Hi,

I have begun to play Squad Battles: Vietnam recently. It's my first Squad Battles game. I am terrible at it. I've played the tutorial multiple times and I always end up in a decisive loss.

I have read the manuals back and forth billions of times. Finally I decided to search for a forum that could help me out since HPS doesn't have a forum.

Would someone be willing to take a look at my recent replay to tell me what the hell i'm doing wrong?

It's a great game, but I get so angry at myself for being so terrible. Whip

Attached Files
.zip   Why do I suck.zip (Size: 38.31 KB / Downloads: 12)
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2013, 02:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013, 02:26 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
RE: Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but could use some help in Vietnam
First off, welcome to the Blitz SB forum. I think you'll find a great deal of help here.

Vietnam's tutorial scenario is actually quite difficult, and probably the cause for a lot of folks to put the game on the shelf for a while. I know when I started playing, I actually got so frustrated that I put the game away for nearly a year before trying again.

I think you might find it useful to play somone through Play By EMAIL and have them go through the game with you turn by turn so they can point out things that you may be overlooking. I'm fairly certain that someone will make that offer to you after reading this. Take them up on it because it's a really useful way to parse through the intricacies of the game engine.

I'll try to take a look tonight at your replay, although I'm quite sure that someone may reply before then. Ask questions, read through the forum, especially some of the older posts talking about tips, tricks and strategy. Also take a look at Task Force Echo 4 (link in my signature) for a variety of SB related stuff, including something called Grunt School, something every newbie should read multiple times. Here is the link to the tactics section:

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/supply-section...-archives/
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-27-2013, 04:41 AM,
Oh thank you I will! Also, if you would like, we can play a scenario (pick an easier one with not so many people maybe?) so you can school me perhaps... Would you like to be my Senpai? ;)

Thanks so much. I am reading your link now! You rock! I look forward to your critiques!
06-27-2013, 05:43 AM,
Hey there Hello

I would be more than happy to walk you through the tutorial scenario and give you some pointers. I would recommend that we stick with the tutorial scenario since you have played it before. If you are interested, start a PBEM game and send it to:

jefferyconner at suddenlink dot net

If you don't know how to do this, send me an email and I can walk you through that too. You can leave fog-of-war off if you think that would be helpful.

Jeff Conner
06-27-2013, 07:01 AM,
Hello Hello!

Jeff is a great instructor and gave me much needed and very sound advice on tips, techniques, and tactics. My dance card is getting pretty full, but I could probably, perhaps, maybe fit in one more. If you are interested in another email game, respond here.

I, too, found the introductory scenario hard. As the US, you must move fast, but smart. Jeff may suggest a "mirror" game - that means the same two players play two separate games of the same scenario but as different sides. For example, starting two scenarios of the indroductory scenario with you as US in one and VC in the other.

Another method that helped me a lot was to play some solitaire games with the "Hotseat" option. That way, you play both sides of the same scenario and can see how the Line-of-Sight works, when units become visible, etc. It really helped me since all my experience was in playing games with very limited range of fire.

I am still not very adept as the attacker in Squad Battles, but have become fairly competent at defense, which is definitely the easier role in Squad Battles.

Enjoy, and again, respond here if you would like another game!

Steve
06-27-2013, 11:58 AM,
Steve, your check is in the mail.

Jeff

PS - The older tutorials are not real good about giving information on the decision making involved in the game, only on how to get started. Some of the more recent ones are a bit better in this regard. If anyone is interested, I can email the tutorial from Falklands that I worked on and maybe Alan might want to post it or Ed's on TF Echo 4, although we should probably ask Rich first.
06-28-2013, 12:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 12:46 AM by heyhellowhatsnew.)
Jeff I will email you for a game. I would love to get the Falklands tutorial you worked on, or any other tutorial map really!

Thanks so much!

Edit: I sent it. I hope I did it correctly.
06-28-2013, 03:47 AM,
(06-27-2013, 11:58 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Steve, your check is in the mail.

Jeff

PS - The older tutorials are not real good about giving information on the decision making involved in the game, only on how to get started. Some of the more recent ones are a bit better in this regard. If anyone is interested, I can email the tutorial from Falklands that I worked on and maybe Alan might want to post it or Ed's on TF Echo 4, although we should probably ask Rich first.

Would be happy to. Fire me a copy and I'll send something to Rich about posting it...
06-28-2013, 03:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 03:51 AM by heyhellowhatsnew.)
I'm downloading the docs from the links from Task Force Echo 4, but a lot of them are timing out :(

PS: This is such a great and helpful community, thank you everyone so much again!
06-28-2013, 05:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 05:51 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
(06-28-2013, 03:50 AM)heyhellowhatsnew Wrote: I'm downloading the docs from the links from Task Force Echo 4, but a lot of them are timing out :(

PS: This is such a great and helpful community, thank you everyone so much again!

Because those are still on the site's original FTP client, you need to wait a minute or two in-between downloading the documents.