• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Cavalry units
06-25-2013, 12:44 PM,
c_Question Mark  Cavalry units
Just finished the Cavalry at Sivchecka scenario in AotR with Ed. As the German player, I "destroyed" a fair number of horsie "vehicles" but received no VPs for doing so.

Are horse casualties counted as "men" losses?

I am not entirely sure I like the way cavalry is represented as vehicles. I suppose they do not get used much in the system.

Steve
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2013, 03:36 PM,
RE: Cavalry units
Victory points for vehicles are determined by their crew size and armor. Since horses normally have a crew size of zero (although there is nothing that prevents the designer, or you, from giving them a crew, which I also think would let them move by themselves), they are not worth any points (zero times one is zero). There are a few scenarios with cavalry, but not a large number. Given the number of cavalry units that the Russians had, there should probably be more.

My biggest gripe about cavalry is that they are awfully brittle in close assault. Charges against disrupted infantry were pretty effective once the cavalry actually got close. It was the getting close part, against modern firepower, that was problematic. I have only tried a few cavalry close assaults, but they have a tendency to end up with a dead horse unit and a considerable number of casualties to the riders as a result. I found it was much better to get close on horseback, dismount and then close assault on foot.
Quote this message in a reply