• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is It Just Me?
06-03-2013, 12:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
Thumbs_Down  Is It Just Me?
I understand how hard it was in any war to execute a close assault of enemy units. I understand how much harder it can become if they are entrenched, well lead, armed, etc. Even if the attacking side has a large advantage in troops. One determined man with a rifle in a building can cause numerically disproportionate casualties.

However, I find it very unrealistic that two (weakened) 1/2 platoons of 16 men(C morale) and 18 men(B morale) with a level A leader in the same hex suffer 4 casualties and are pinned twice when trying to overrun ONE enemy soldier in clear terrain. That just ain't gonna happen in real life, and is very frustrating in this game (FWW atm).

Just sayin'.
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 01:32 AM,
RE: Is It Just Me?
(06-03-2013, 12:12 AM)Riley D. Smith Wrote: I understand how hard it was in any war to execute a close assault of enemy units. I understand how much harder it can become if they are entrenched, well lead, armed, etc. Even if the attacking side has a large advantage in troops. One determined man with a rifle in a building can cause numerically disproportionate casualties.

However, I find it very unrealistic that two (weakened) 1/2 platoons of 16 men(C morale) and 18 men(B morale) with a level A leader in the same hex suffer 4 casualties and are pinned twice when trying to overrun ONE enemy soldier in clear terrain. That just ain't gonna happen in real life, and is very frustrating in this game (FWW atm).

Just sayin'.

Can you say 'Alvin York'? Jester
06-03-2013, 02:12 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Is It Just Me?
Point taken good sir. And to think he did what he did, earned the medal of honor, and then was able to have his photo taken (alive) on the spot/area where the amazing feat occurred.

However, this would probably not be the norm. And in SB...it is.Helmet Wink
06-03-2013, 05:20 AM,
I think it has something to do with how you hold your mouse. I know I can do it sometimes but I have trouble replicating it. Could be something to do with too much coffee and a wobbly hand.

Sherlock
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM,
"Can you say 'Alvin York'? " Jester

York was in command of 7 men.
jonny Whip
06-04-2013, 01:53 AM,
Didn't he end up with 7 men, started with something like 13?
06-04-2013, 03:39 AM,
(06-03-2013, 05:20 AM)Nikb Wrote: I think it has something to do with how you hold your mouse. I know I can do it sometimes but I have trouble replicating it. Could be something to do with too much coffee and a wobbly hand.

Sherlock

You are sir, as usual, correct. Training documented and will put to good use. RV game turn in-bound btw.

Good hunting!Helmet Rolleyes
06-05-2013, 02:21 AM,
(06-03-2013, 12:12 AM)Riley D. Smith Wrote: I understand how hard it was in any war to execute a close assault of enemy units. I understand how much harder it can become if they are entrenched, well lead, armed, etc. Even if the attacking side has a large advantage in troops. One determined man with a rifle in a building can cause numerically disproportionate casualties.

Just sayin'.

I don't disagree. What was the status of your platoons? Were they disrupted? What was their effectiveness?

C morale troops on the assault are a real wild card, for sure. More often than not they aren't going to be successful. I usually don't even bother with D morale troops on an assault. The B platoon should have had a better shot, especially with the A leader, assuming he was their platoon leader, which does matter, if I remember correctly.
06-05-2013, 09:41 AM,
Oh yeah, that morale thingy. Sheesh - One of these days, I am going to get good at this game!

But in the mean time - - -- - - - - - C A N N O N F O D D E R

Just a gimmee for the vets here! Big Grin

ROTFLMAO
06-07-2013, 09:44 PM,
(06-05-2013, 02:21 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:

Just sayin'.

I don't disagree. What was the status of your platoons? Were they disrupted? What was their effectiveness?

C morale troops on the assault are a real wild card, for sure. More often than not they aren't going to be successful. I usually don't even bother with D morale troops on an assault. The B platoon should have had a better shot, especially with the A leader, assuming he was their platoon leader, which does matter, if I remember correctly.

The A leader was the platoon leader of both. I will say that they were assaulting uphill which I of course knows matters. But again, just the disparity in numbers took me a little aback...35 attackers vs 1 defender in a clear terrain hex. Crazy