• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Questions about AotR and RV
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM,
Questions about AotR and RV
Hello All:

Thinking of getting back into Squad Battles. I tried AotR some years ago.

1. At that time I thought some of the AotR scenarios were quite unbalanced and IIRC someone on the forum indicated this also. How are the Red Victory scenarios balance-wise?

2. I hate the look of the counters in the games. I just cannot understand the low quality when computers are so powerful today. Any good mods for the counters and terrain that I could try in AotR to see if I like them? (not interested in sound mods).

I would prefer counter mods that have symbols of men something like in ASL counters but does not have to be a direct ASL mod.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM,
RE: Questions about AotR and RV
Greetings to you Gerry!

I am fairly new to the SqB system, but am loving it! I have had AOTR for about six weeks, and into my sixth PBEM game. I am not an expert, but will give an opinion to your questions:

1. From what I have seen RV is a well-balanced game with excellent scenarios.

2. I am not a "mod" guy, but doubtless several will also chip in to say that there are some good mods out there.

I would be most happy to ease you back into the fray with a game or two.

Steve
05-22-2013, 01:15 AM,
Ozgur did the scenarios for RV and he is the best SB scenario designer I have seen. The quality of the scenarios is much, much better than AOTR. I am not a mod guy either, but there are many here who are. You might take a look over at Task Force Echo Four and see what they have there for download. TF E4 is probably the best source for that kind of thing, at least that I am aware of. There are also a considerable number of scenarios available there, some of which are quite good.

Jeff
05-22-2013, 01:15 AM,
Thanks Steve. And thanks for the offer. If I get back into it, I will get in touch.

With 48 views I was hoping someone would have a nice recommendation for a counter mod and a terrain mod. Anyone?

Gerry
05-22-2013, 07:38 PM,
RV is one of the best titles for balance. Oz is a superb designer and this shows through in this title.

Must admit I quite like the 2d look. Its what I mostly play in. Which is the opposite of most of my other Tiller/HPS games where I prefer to play 3d.
05-22-2013, 09:06 PM,
I echo the comments about the quality and quantity of RV scenarios.

I also agree that stock scenarios on AOTR were very raw and unbalanced for the most part.

However if you do head over to TFE4 to check out some mods, there is also some excellent custom AOTR scns to be downloaded (except for the Tank galore scn with all those bloody KVs but I digress:) )

Cant help you with mods though I like the simple 2d counters
244 games with legend that is Richie61
05-22-2013, 10:01 PM,
....beating a dead horse here (but I like beating dead things...they don't hit back)...RV is the most balanced of the SB games I have played. The great thing about the some of the scenarios is I have been surprised a couple of times thinking at the start of a scenario it was unbalanced only to see it come togther as play developed. Not sure there is a scenario that cannot be won by either side with decent play in RV. Really excellent scenario writing.
05-22-2013, 11:40 PM,
(05-22-2013, 10:01 PM)gabeeg Wrote: ....beating a dead horse here (but I like beating dead things...they don't hit back)

Here you go! Wink

Horse5
05-23-2013, 12:15 AM,
Thanks for all the answers.

Gerry
05-23-2013, 01:18 AM,
(05-22-2013, 01:15 AM)GerryM Wrote: Thanks Steve. And thanks for the offer. If I get back into it, I will get in touch.

With 48 views I was hoping someone would have a nice recommendation for a counter mod and a terrain mod. Anyone?

Gerry

TFE4 has a fair collection of scenarios and counter/terrain mods for most games. I'd take a look over there and mix-and-match to your preferences.