• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vehicle Crews
05-16-2013, 10:43 AM,
Vehicle Crews
Just an observation. How come every time the vehicle is knocked out the crew dies.

I think there should be a percentage of chance the crew survives either disrupted or pinned maybe armed with pistols.

Having to worry about saving the crew or loosing the vp by having them eliminated would add to the game...

All IMHO....
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM,
RE: Vehicle Crews
(05-16-2013, 10:43 AM)Paulinski Wrote: Just an observation. How come every time the vehicle is knocked out the crew dies.

I think there should be a percentage of chance the crew survives either disrupted or pinned maybe armed with pistols.

Having to worry about saving the crew or loosing the vp by having them eliminated would add to the game...

All IMHO....

I think it would just unnecessarily complicate the game. It is not ASL and I'm not sure all the extra programming would be worth the effort. You would also probably have to include crew bailouts. ASL gives you a tremendous amount of control and detail that you don't need in SB. JMHOHelmet Wink
05-17-2013, 11:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
I agree with Phil.

Also remember that when a person is a SB casualty, it doesn't strictly represent the person being killed. It represents them being removed from active combat either as a KIA, wounded, captured or otherwise.

Under normal circumstances, if your tank's taken out, those guys don't typically pick up a rifle and join the nearest platoon in the attack. I think the game abstracts this well enough, and at this point in the game's life-cycle, don't expect a ton of heavy coding to be considered.
05-18-2013, 02:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013, 02:45 AM by Richie61.)
Every book I have read about German tank crews bailing out is that they hit the ground and
run to cover and then make it back to the lines.

[Image: 1386_rn.jpg]

Every see this video: Panther tank hit by shells from a Pershing?

Interesting video. Not WWII, but aT-72 brewing up.

Watch 26:38 as a T-72 goes boom!
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
05-18-2013, 04:42 AM,
Wow. I'm shocked that one guy got out of that tank and ran for cover.

Bunched up on a street like that, they are lucky they didn't lose more
05-18-2013, 05:50 AM,
(05-18-2013, 04:42 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Wow. I'm shocked that one guy got out of that tank and ran for cover.

Bunched up on a street like that, they are lucky they didn't lose more

Alan,

I think the guy on the ground was the rebel bomber. If you watch the
video really close you can see movement at the rear of the T-72 just
before it go BANG!

This video shows anther one blowing the turret off Popcorn 2

Minute 7:21

How's about as a Syrian T-72 tank crew as the tank next to you goes boom and the parts rain down on you.

Note how the T-72 turret is laying next to the blown up tank. Typical Soviet design flaw Big Laugh

05-18-2013, 05:12 PM,
I have to say if they were to go to trouble of making any changes to game design regarding AFVs I would prefer some sort of random chance of an immobilised tank crew being able repair their vehicle and getting back into the fight [/u]
244 games with legend that is Richie61
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM,
(05-18-2013, 05:12 PM)Laza Wrote: I have to say if they were to go to trouble of making any changes to game design regarding AFVs I would prefer some sort of random chance of an immobilised tank crew being able repair their vehicle and getting back into the fight [/u]

Think about the time frame of SB, though. 5 minutes a turn. A 12 turn scenario represents an hour. If a tank threw a tread, it would probably take longer than that to repair it, and if you're in the middle of the kill zone, you sure as hell aren't going to stand around trying to fix your tank while people are shooting at you.

For better or worse, SB is designed as an infantry centric platform
05-19-2013, 08:29 AM,
(05-18-2013, 11:05 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(05-18-2013, 05:12 PM)Laza Wrote: I have to say if they were to go to trouble of making any changes to game design regarding AFVs I would prefer some sort of random chance of an immobilised tank crew being able repair their vehicle and getting back into the fight [/u]

Think about the time frame of SB, though. 5 minutes a turn. A 12 turn scenario represents an hour. If a tank threw a tread, it would probably take longer than that to repair it, and if you're in the middle of the kill zone, you sure as hell aren't going to stand around trying to fix your tank while people are shooting at you.

For better or worse, SB is designed as an infantry centric platform

Laza & myself just finished up the 80 turn "Tanks Galour" AotR battle
and it looked like a parking lot with all the broke down tanks Big Laugh
05-19-2013, 08:38 AM,
Tanks but no Tanks! Rolling Eyes