• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Problems updating RV under Windows 8
05-07-2013, 06:00 AM,
Problems updating RV under Windows 8
HPSsims doesn't seem to know the answer to this, although we haven't given up.

I can install the game and play it, but I can't undate the game to the latest patch as it won't overwrite rv.exe file (despite my deleting the original .exe file).

I do run the patch (open) as administrator.

Ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013, 06:48 AM,
RE: Problems updating RV under Windows 8
I will try this tonight on my system - I just picked up a windows 8 desktop and still need to setup my JTS/HPS games there.

I don't know if you've tried this but one other option: open the game update (usually it's a zip file despite it's ".exe" extension) and then manually drag everything into your game directory and see if that works (may require an independent Zip program).

I would also try just moving the entire game directory to another location on the hard drive and then try the update (I keep move mine to the root of the D: drive). Doing this won't break the game.

Seems as though you should get a warning message too: the system should throw up a warning about overwriting a file (unless the updater is programmed to avoid that).
Send this user an email
05-07-2013, 06:51 AM,
(05-07-2013, 06:48 AM)Ironwulf Wrote: I will try this tonight on my system - I just picked up a windows 8 desktop and still need to setup my JTS/HPS games there.

I don't know if you've tried this but one other option: open the game update (usually it's a zip file despite it's ".exe" extension) and then manually drag everything into your game directory and see if that works (may require an independent Zip program).

I would also try just moving the entire game directory to another location on the hard drive and then try the update (I keep move mine to the root of the D: drive). Doing this won't break the game.

Seems as though you should get a warning message too: the system should throw up a warning about overwriting a file (unless the updater is programmed to avoid that).

The main problem is I can't even unzip the update with RV already loaded on my computer.

I'm sure the next suggestion from HPSsims is "Unzip the update prior to installing the game."

There is something wrong here if that is the advice I will get.

Thank you for the thought though. It's very frustrating.
05-07-2013, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 07:08 AM by Wolfgang.)
One other thing: try installing it on another computer and then move it over to your windows 8 box.

(05-07-2013, 06:51 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 06:48 AM)Ironwulf Wrote:

The main problem is I can't even unzip the update with RV already loaded on my computer.

I'm sure the next suggestion from HPSsims is "Unzip the update prior to installing the game."

Hmm, it could be that windows 8 doesn't natively support zip files anymore as far as opening them up and looking inside... At least not without a zip program like WinZip. I can't test this on my win8 system as I already have a full version of winzip installed.

By the way are you attempting the update from the Desktop or the Windows 8 metro UI start menu?

I will try this tonight and see what happens for me.
Send this user an email
05-07-2013, 07:14 AM,
(05-07-2013, 07:01 AM)Ironwulf Wrote: One other thing: try installing it on another computer and then move it over to your windows 8 box.

(05-07-2013, 06:51 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 06:48 AM)Ironwulf Wrote:

Hmm, it could be that windows 8 doesn't natively support zip files anymore as far as opening them up and looking inside... At least not without a zip program like WinZip. I can't test this on my win8 system as I already have a full version of winzip installed.

By the way are you attempting the update from the Desktop or the Windows 8 metro UI start menu?

I will try this tonight and see what happens for me.

I first install the game, than download the update zip file to the RV folder, than "Extract". No joy.

Then, I reinstalled the game and tried to unzip the update on the desktop so I could just move the extracted files to the RV folder. It didn't like that, despite the original .exe file being in the trash file.

Go figure.
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM by Wolfgang.)
My RV install is based off of a CD. I ran the 1.01 update and it went without error. Version 1.01 has a "Date modified" of: 4/6/2012 8:34 in the properties for rv.exe.

I noted the zip process had a check mark for overwriting files without asking, which I had enabled.

I did this all on the Desktop too btw.

When I tried to do the same thing using just the windows 8 Ui it got funky almost from the get go. IE would consistently fail on the first DL attempt. Then once it's downloaded, the Windows 8 UI doesn't recognize the zip extension - despite my having the pro version installed and it working fine in desktop mode. It asked me if I wanted to search for a program. It's pretty ridiculous considering that I have it already installed. You'd think it would at least ping as a last step the Desktop registry. I guess I could have selected "Search" and picked it out but - it was just easier to drop to the Desktop.

So obviously, Windows 8 Touch UI and the Windows 8 Desktop UI do not share the same registry entries - they overlap but are partially blind to each other too. I had been wondering about that...

I'm guessing you're probably trying this from the Touch UI then? I'd definitely drop to the Desktop and just do the whole thing from there. That *should* work... (plus invoking operations on a zip file may require the system to drop to desktop anyhow which may be contributing to the issue)

I'd also try the winzip utility - there's a free demo version here:
http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downwz.htm
Send this user an email
05-08-2013, 08:56 AM,
(05-07-2013, 07:53 PM)Ironwulf Wrote: My RV install is based off of a CD. I ran the 1.01 update and it went without error. Version 1.01 has a "Date modified" of: 4/6/2012 8:34 in the properties for rv.exe.

I noted the zip process had a check mark for overwriting files without asking, which I had enabled.

I did this all on the Desktop too btw.

When I tried to do the same thing using just the windows 8 Ui it got funky almost from the get go. IE would consistently fail on the first DL attempt. Then once it's downloaded, the Windows 8 UI doesn't recognize the zip extension - despite my having the pro version installed and it working fine in desktop mode. It asked me if I wanted to search for a program. It's pretty ridiculous considering that I have it already installed. You'd think it would at least ping as a last step the Desktop registry. I guess I could have selected "Search" and picked it out but - it was just easier to drop to the Desktop.

So obviously, Windows 8 Touch UI and the Windows 8 Desktop UI do not share the same registry entries - they overlap but are partially blind to each other too. I had been wondering about that...

I'm guessing you're probably trying this from the Touch UI then? I'd definitely drop to the Desktop and just do the whole thing from there. That *should* work... (plus invoking operations on a zip file may require the system to drop to desktop anyhow which may be contributing to the issue)

I'd also try the winzip utility - there's a free demo version here:
http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downwz.htm

I sent an email to the guy who runs winzip asking for the ability to download winzip again on the new computer so we'll see.

Clarification:

UI-user interface (correct?)

IE-????

I'm attempting this on a Dell Inspiron touch screen, but using the mouse to do all this (if it matters).
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM,
(05-08-2013, 08:56 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote: Clarification:

IE-????
I am no tech head but many people use IE for Internet Explorer.
05-08-2013, 09:19 AM,
(05-08-2013, 09:15 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(05-08-2013, 08:56 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote: Clarification:

IE-????
I am no tech head but many people use IE for Internet Explorer.

Yeah, that is what I thought he meant, but so few us IE any more and why use it in an attempted update?
05-10-2013, 05:29 PM,
Whope sorry - by UI I mean User Interface.

I tried to update a squad battles game using 2 different Windows 8 methods:
1. Exclusively via the "Metro" touchscreen UI.
2. Exlusively via the traditional Desktop.

What I found was that when trying to execute the update via the Metro touch UI that it was wonky and basically failed (I call it a touch UI but I use a mouse too as I have no touch screen).

When I tried it using just the normal desktop that we all know and love it worked fine.

If you are in the Metro UI there is a little box there that says "Desktop". Clicking on that that will drop you to the familiar windows desktop (minus the start button though).
Send this user an email