• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SqB on a MAC
05-05-2013, 03:57 AM,
b_Exclamation Mark  SqB on a MAC
Greetings all,

W I T H O U T a lengthy debate pro or con, can you please tell me:

is it fairly easy to run SqB FWW on a MAC machine?

Thanks, Steve
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 04:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013, 04:01 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: SqB on a MAC
I don't own a Mac however, judging on what is displayed for the system requirements, I would be fairly certain that FWW can not run on a Mac.

System Requirements
Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB

http://johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattl...ldWar.html
05-05-2013, 04:05 AM,
I would like to get my son into the SqB series and he has an interest in WWI. Just found out he is a mac guy, though. Hence the question. Maybe some folks have work-arounds?
05-05-2013, 04:22 AM,
I wish you the best of luck with getting your son introduced to the SB series. Thumb Up2
05-05-2013, 10:22 AM,
You can, but it's going to cost money.
Bottom of page.
http://www.hpssims.com/

http://www.parallels.com/
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
05-05-2013, 02:15 PM,
Before spending a bunch of money, I would suggest you contact JTS support to see if they know if FWW can run without any problems on a Mac.

[email protected]

Please let us know what they tell you. Smile
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM by Wolfgang.)
Actually, if I didn't war game I'd probably use macs myself for home computing.

I don't think any of the JTS/HPS games will run natively on a Mac (the game executable file is a windows .exe type and the graphics are windows bitmaps) but there are 2-3 possible workarounds to running it on a mac:

1. Dual boot the mac - the new ones have intel chips and so can run windows. I believe the Windows installer will detect the existing operating system and offer options to install it onto another drive. When you boot up you should have an option to select OSX or Windows. I used to dual boot Linux and windows years ago.

2. Run a Windows Virtual Machine on the Mac. This requires the VMware (which your son may already have) and probably a licensed copy of windows. With this method they can stay within OS X and just run windows in a window when they want to play the game. (If they have a spare unused PC with windows on it, then the SN for their copy of it can often be found on the case and is valid for reinstall.)

3. I've never tried this one but found the solution online. It looks promising:
"Running Windows apps directly in Mac OS X -- without Windows. CrossOver from CodeWeavers runs Windows applications directly in Mac OS X, without using Windows. Because you don't need to own a copy of Windows, CrossOver is the least expensive way to run Windows programs on a Mac. The trade off is that it doesn't run every Windows application."

Here's an informative link on all three methods:
http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

Hope that helps!
Send this user an email
05-07-2013, 12:16 AM,
I've personally had many versions of Squad Battles (and Panzer Campaigns) running on my iMac under Crossover. It isn't flawless, but they do work. The best option however is to dual boot--simply create a Bootcamp partition, and install the games on that. Otherwise you have to live with glitches like not being able to see where the arty is falling.
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM by grofaz.)
I play in may MAC using Parallels desktop but running it under a separate boot partition is perfectly fine as well like Ironwolf mentioned. The HPS titles are "light" on video memory and resources, so they play nicely with a virtual machine. I personally have Windows 7 running on the VR but you can make an XP one. I have not tried it under Win 8.
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
05-11-2013, 05:16 AM,
Thanks all, for the help. I'll ty to keep you posted and ask additional help as needed.