• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Screwy fire results in Waterloo
03-31-2013, 12:43 AM,
Screwy fire results in Waterloo
Playing the Battle of Waterloo variant 3 (Prussian arrival unknown) and am playing with the optional rule for fire.

The results of fire are screwy. Skirmisher units with 150 men are getting "no effect" on battalions in column in the open at one hex. The majority are missing. Infantry battalions in line at one hex are inflicting 2-6 casualties.

I've used the fire optional rule to balance results in all the other games I own without problem. This seriously impinges on the British ability to hold the line since their defensive fire is hugely ineffective.

Is this something to do with the latest update, or just with this scenario?
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2013, 12:05 AM,
RE: Screwy fire results in Waterloo
I'm with Havoc in this one and getting the same results. Even arty is sitting around 1-3 casualties. I know it is not the title as I have had a couple other Waterloo battles and they were bloody.
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM,
Havoc,

if you're referring to the first phases of the battle (with lightmud weather conditions and for all the scenarios using the PDT file Waterloo_single_new) there is a substantial bug I discovered some weeks ago impacting infantry fire (it adds strenght to the units instead to deduct).

This should not impact too much the overall game results due to the very limited number of infantry fire exchanges in the first turns of the scenario but clearly should be fixed (and I personally assume will be, HPS is already warned about it) ASAP.

cheers

Enzo
04-07-2013, 02:26 AM,
There is a bug in the Waterloo pdt...often infantry will get a - fire modifyer and thus hit nothing. I recommend using the 1.03 pdt until it's fixed, that's what I'm doing with my opponents.
04-09-2013, 02:20 AM,
(04-07-2013, 02:26 AM)agmoss99 Wrote: There is a bug in the Waterloo pdt...often infantry will get a - fire modifyer and thus hit nothing. I recommend using the 1.03 pdt until it's fixed, that's what I'm doing with my opponents.

Trying to find the 103 patch online, but it seems that only the 104 is available. Cry
06-15-2013, 12:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM by OC Ogon.)
(04-09-2013, 02:20 AM)Havoc Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 02:26 AM)agmoss99 Wrote: There is a bug in the Waterloo pdt...often infantry will get a - fire modifier and thus hit nothing. I recommend using the 1.03 pdt until it's fixed, that's what I'm doing with my opponents.

Trying to find the 103 patch online, but it seems that only the 104 is available. Cry

I have also found out that out of all HPS Napoleonic campaigns I have Waterloo has the weakest artillery effectiveness. I thought that it was not a bug though but just a modifier added to represent the conditions of the battlefield. One of the reasons that contributed to the result of the battle was soaked ground. Round shots did not do their regular grazing, and explosive shells got buried in the mud before explosion. The tactics of the Grand Battery did not work for Napoleon because of that (and the battle was delayed for many hours, with the Emperor waiting for the ground to dry up a bit, which sealed his fate).
06-15-2013, 11:40 PM,
This is true of course. And with 15 minute turns you can advance on them and destroy them fairly quickly, so they are not much of a threat on the allied side.

The thread was about a particular bug in the latest patch which gives a negative modifyer for infantry in some scenarios so that you can't score any hits....historical Waterloo and the variants are the ones affected I think. As far as I am aware it hasn't beem fixed so the only way to play is to use the 1.03 pdt file.
06-17-2013, 06:40 AM,
Have you contacted Rich Hamilton about this? Something he should know about I am thinking.
06-17-2013, 06:49 AM,
Hi Bill

Yes, about 3 months ago and he said he was looking into it.
06-18-2013, 03:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013, 03:36 AM by Xaver.)
Do you are looking for the 1.03 patch??? i upload it, here is the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lx5dsmisptddc9z

PD: the (3) i think is because i have problems to upload the file...