• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Which Naval Campaign would you recommend?
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM by Wolfgang.)
Which Naval Campaign would you recommend?
I'm a first timer here and wanted to try one of the titles in the series. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

~Actually, just picked up Midway.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2013, 01:44 AM,
RE: Which Naval Campaign would you recommend?
If it were me I would go with WitP-AE (War in the Pacific-Admirals Edition.) It is primarily a naval and air action strategy game but has land warfare as well. Logistics is important etc...just a very deep game.

The link below are to ongoing games and AARs written by the player. Very in-depth stuff and actually teaches on how to play the game...I use them myself to learn besides manual. A lot of fun to read as well. Good introduction to the game.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=712

Hope this helps.
02-22-2013, 05:29 AM,
If you are talking HPS Naval Campaigns, I really like Midway as it is the newest and contains an air component. Though if you are looking for big iron slugging it out the pre-wwII games sound enjoyable....though if that is your interest then NWS's Steam and Iron is excellent.
02-22-2013, 12:09 PM,
Thanks for the feedback all.
Good to see you're still around too Gabeeg :)

Well I went with Midway - I had been eyeballing it for a year or so... that, Guadalcanal and War in the pacific.

I've always been a touch fascinated by naval war. In modern day terms, I think it's the cat and mouse game they sometimes play combined with the usage of all the sensory technologies/methods they have. Plus, just not being as familiar with this dimension of warfare lends it a certain 'mystery' factor.

Thanks again for the helpful advice :)

Send this user an email
02-22-2013, 06:07 PM,
Enjoy it! ...I just wish someone would come out with a PBEM capable naval warfare game (other than the uber epic WitPAE)
02-24-2013, 09:33 AM,
(02-22-2013, 06:07 PM)gabeeg Wrote: Enjoy it! ...I just wish someone would come out with a PBEM capable naval warfare game (other than the uber epic WitPAE)

+1 That would be grand indeed.
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM,
Hey there Wulf,

I have Guadalcanal, and if ever you get that title, I would love to try some games via the internet.

Guadalcanal is perfect for that environment, but I can't find anyone willing to try. The scenarios are small in terms of ships commanded; short to short-ish for length. And best of all - just wicked good fun!

I like playing the AI when I have a half-hour to kill, but it is sooooooo easy. I would love to try my hand against a human player.

So if you (or anyone else out there) can arrange for a 2-1/2 hour block for online gaming (I know, I know, it sounds so 15year-old dweeby kiddish, but I think we oldsters could have a great time with it!) let me know. Half hour tops to establish network connection, then two hours of gaming with destroyers cutting holes in the sea, dodging torpedo shots, blasting with guns - - - man, this ol' greyhound sailor is getting excited just thinking about it!

Steve
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM by Liebchen.)
(03-27-2013, 09:48 PM)Stejones82 Wrote: I would love to try my hand against a human player.

I have Guadalcanal and could be enticed to play online. I played the AI several times one weekend and then put it aside...
03-30-2013, 01:54 AM,
(03-28-2013, 07:26 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 09:48 PM)Stejones82 Wrote: I would love to try my hand against a human player.

I have Guadalcanal and could be enticed to play online. I played the AI several times one weekend and then put it aside...

I'd love to set some time aside for this game. I'd particularly like to try the team mode someday. If I ever do pickup Guadalcanal I'll certainly give online play a go.
Send this user an email
04-01-2013, 02:23 AM,
(02-22-2013, 06:07 PM)gabeeg Wrote: Enjoy it! ...I just wish someone would come out with a PBEM capable naval warfare game (other than the uber epic WitPAE)

there is a VASSAL module for "second world war at sea"

also, i m still looking for players to play HPS Naval Campaigns Midway with me !

Cheer