• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tourney Idea
02-21-2013, 03:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 08:02 AM by oldrocky.)
Tourney Idea
Now that the OP-B tournament is coming to a close I propose a tournament based on the hypothesis that the 20th July assassination attempt on Hitler was successful and the competent and able German General Staff were allowed to conduct operations for the remainder of the war unhindered by the unrealistic and amateurish dictates from the Fuhrer.

The tournament battles will involve the 116 Panzer Division delaying against the reinforced US 2nd Armored Division.This Tourney will consider that instead of conducting the ill fated Mortain counter attack which precipitated the Falaise Pocket debacle and the destruction of the Wehrmacht 7th Army we shall suppose that the prudent German Commander instead opted to withdraw from Normandy after being threatened on the left flank by the successful Allied COBRA.operation.

Historically the 116 Panzer Div had only just reached the Normandy AO at the end of July after being in reserve near Calaise. It's force structure is established using records obtained during research. The 2nd AD (Heavy) is considered to be at full strength and will be reinforced by an Infantry Regimental Combat Team and several ground attack air squadrons.

The Tourney will be TEAM PLAY. You do not have to achieve an individual win against your opponent to achieve victory in each round. You may lose your individual game but still be awarded a V if your team wins the round.

Each team will be Commanded by a Commanding General (CG). The CG will issue orders to his subordinate commanders depending on the overall operational conditions of each 20 turn game segment. There will be 4 to 6 ( depending on number of players ) interconnecting maps that will represent the total battle area. At the end of each 20 turn game segment units may transfer from one map to another. Only the CG will have the overall picture of the total battle conditions therefore his orders may not be agreeable or understood by his subordinates. Imagine that a map 3 player is in full pursuit of his routed enemy but is ordered to halt his advance and transfer units from his command to an adjacent map at the end of a 20 turn game segment. He may be unaware that a teammate on the flank is in desperate need of reinforcements or the CG may see an opportunity for an attack into the enemy flank from an adjacent map.

I will not play but rather shall I be the Game Master. I will conduct the initial deployment as per instructions from the CGs as to where he wants his forces deployed and under which of his commanders. After each 20 turn game segment I will edit the individual battle maps and enter units that have been ordered to transfer from one map to another. All other units will remain exactly where they were when the 20 turn game segment ended and the new game shall continue from where it left off from the previous game.

There will be more rules of play which I shall submit if there is enough interest shown for this game concept. Would you fellows be interested in this type of tourney?
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 08:51 AM,
RE: Tourney Idea
If I had SPWW2 I might join. Good luck.
02-21-2013, 09:07 AM,
That's an interesting concept Rocky, but also a massive amount of work for you.
I would be up for having a go if it gets off the ground.
Good luck!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
02-21-2013, 09:19 AM,
(02-21-2013, 09:07 AM)Walrus Wrote: That's an interesting concept Rocky, but also a massive amount of work for you.
I would be up for having a go if it gets off the ground.
Good luck!

The concept would require that the games be played with BASIC security so to be able to view individual battle progress. It would be easiest if the game files were sent after each turn to the game master so he could edit the games accurately as the battles progress.

02-21-2013, 11:10 AM,
I would be interested to learn more if you get this going. I have no preference to side and would not want to be Overall commander. Mainly I want to learn more about tourment games and this maybe a good start.
02-21-2013, 11:48 PM,
Looks more like a campaign than tourney, interesting.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
02-22-2013, 05:01 AM,
(02-21-2013, 11:48 PM)Vesku Wrote: Looks more like a campaign than tourney, interesting.

The concept will require that the commanders consider ammo/supply, force causalities, etc. After several rounds of play there will be units in need of resupply. Unlike the standard 20/30 turn game the COs/CGs will not wish to incur unacceptable losses for taking an objective because the same units must be used in the next battle without being reconstituted. Instead of battles representing an hour or two of actual time, as it is represented in standard Blitz play, this campaign/tourney will represent an entire day of combat/maneuver. Commanders will be required to conserve their forces for future engagements, as it should be, and this will require an entirely different approach and maneuver scheme for the engagements.

02-24-2013, 12:35 PM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Tourney Idea
Like the concept and would give it a go,but are there enough willing and eager participents anymore for this project?
You might do a poll first before putting too much effort in it.
02-24-2013, 12:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM by oldrocky.)
(02-24-2013, 12:35 PM)Gila Wrote: Like the concept and would give it a go,but are there enough willing and eager participents anymore for this project?
You might do a poll first before putting too much effort in it.

Optimally I would like 5 players per side. Do you think that many dedicated players remain? When looking at OP-B tourney I would think Yes.
02-25-2013, 07:56 AM,
Sounds like a gread idea...........I would participate if there is room for me.

Jad