• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Would like some opinions on some games
02-20-2013, 06:33 AM,
Feedback Needed  Would like some opinions on some games
I've been eye balling buying another title and would like some feedback on them if you all could please help me.

First off is Stalingrad 42. I have a 'Gamers' workshop board game of this particular battle and love it. With the board game you can get some quite different end results then what happened in reality. Is this game just a one way ticket to history or is there room for some heroic actions to break the siege with reinforcements that arrive later?

Next is Bulge 44. Have another 'Gamers' board game of it and also love it. My question for this one is one of players available and victory points. It is a older title and IMO probably leaves little room for anything other than a German defeat.
How are the victory conditions look for this title? Do they give the German play any hope of victory?

Thanks ahead of time for any feed back Wink
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2013, 06:58 AM,
RE: Would like some opinions on some games
Bulge is good-esp the alt scenario that involves xtra forces and early release; 9th ss and 10th pz are involved so they help
02-20-2013, 07:19 AM,
I heard once that the Germans once beat the Allies in the Bulge '44 campaign game, but I think it was partially at least due to cheating or just disregarding the fog of war since the key to victory there was capturing the enemy supply depots one by one which helped the nazi cause there. Can't remember though when and where that was, I think I saw that somewhere at the forums here.
02-20-2013, 07:30 AM,
look at the scenarios...the alt game Im talking about has 14 games played with 6 wins to the axis and 6 to the allies and 2 draws

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Till...0&ladder=3
02-20-2013, 09:13 AM,
Thats a cool feature I didn't know the board had! Thanks Raizer for the link Big Grin2
02-20-2013, 02:34 PM,
(02-20-2013, 09:13 AM)CarnageINC Wrote: Thats a cool feature I didn't know the board had! Thanks Raizer for the link Big Grin2

Of those two games I would recommend Bulge. I've played many Bulge scenarios and would like to eventually get back and play some more. Stalingrad, not so much. There's a number of user built variations that are fun too.

Fury
02-21-2013, 06:10 AM,
(02-20-2013, 09:13 AM)CarnageINC Wrote: Thats a cool feature I didn't know the board had! Thanks Raizer for the link Big Grin2

Although statistics can lie, if a scenario has been played 10 times or more and the win loss % is even, you can take that as an indication that the scenario is reasonably balanced.Wink
02-21-2013, 06:32 AM,
Unless the same scenario gets reported ten times by the same guy who has played that twenty times. We do happen here to have such cases, there is a guy who seems to be playing Smolensk '41 "Storming the Land Bridge" all the time and he's never fed up with that so ... draw Your own conclusions, but what has been said before still remains true.
02-21-2013, 09:39 AM,
So far the consensuses is opposite of what I was thinking Mex Big Grin

Anymore thoughts on Stalingrad or is this a one way ticket to getting Bulge?
02-23-2013, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013, 06:33 AM by Liebchen.)
Stalingrad and Bulge are completely different scenarios. About the only thing they have in common is the snow. :)

The Germans in Bulge had a lot of elite units, and the terrain caused lots of traffic jams.

Stalingrad, on the other hand, is much more wide open, with large sweeping maneuvers and lots of kessels. The Germans are not weak, but they have nothing like the Lehr division, etc. And the cold is much colder, so there are many turns where you can't dig in.

I enjoy them both, but have to say that the only way I could see playing a Stalingrad campaign would be as part of a team, because it's truly massive. Bulge, on the other hand, is do-able as a 1-on-1 campaign, IMHO.