• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CW Europe Modification-Sales Pitch!
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM,
CW Europe Modification-Sales Pitch!
Blitzers,

I downloaded this mod a couple of months back and have been toying around with it in my limited spare time. So far I like a lot what I see.

The terrain is much like Europe with little flair of the previous WF graphics. Everything looks different which to me is refreshing. Buildings, trees, orchards, fields, wet terrain and roads have all changed. Its kind of cool!

As for the unit graphics, and boy there are a lot of different ones, they all look very close to modern combat units I've seen in pictures. I especially like the German Leopard, British Chieftain and Soviet T-80 tanks. Very nice!

The download doesn't come with a lot of scenarios but yet gives you enough to wet your whistle and spur your imagination at design.

I haven't tried a lot of the units yet with their unique movement or combat power but over time I am sure I won't be disappointed.

As for drawbacks there are a couple I should mention but they are not show stoppers.

The F2 key brings up unit info like movement costs and scoring but unfortunately there is no info on the basic unit.

Some of the background sound and movement sound files I didn't care for so I swapped some of these with files from the old Divided Ground rendition to make it more pleasing to my ear.

Some would say one of the biggest drawbacks is the fact that the whole mod is done in German. I don't feel this way. I don't know the wonderful German language, but always had a boyhood ambition of learning it, just never got around to it. But as I toy with this mod I pickup bits here and there. It kind of forces me to educate myself. I'm also using my google translator a lot which is a big help!

If I was to grade this mod off the cuff I'd give it a B+/A-.
I'm having a lot of fun with it and if your looking for a little change of pace dive into it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Its pretty cool!

Thanks for hearing my comments

Ivan the BigCigar5
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 08:30 AM,
RE: CW Europe Modification-Sales Pitch!
I have it as well, plays very well, I helped Stefan with many of the icons, so I'm glad you like them!!

There is a English opening menu for it, I was translating the exe's, but they won't cooperate, I change them to English, and they crash, so I gave up...

Clear some space would like to PBEM this!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM,
Hey Mike,

Sounds great and thanks for the bite at the chumm bag!Shark2

Space cleared. I have this mod loaded on my laptop. Pick scenario and side and forward to jpirman555@gmail,com I'll pick it up there.

Ivan the BigCigar5
01-05-2013, 07:33 AM,
Hey John,

Going out tonight, will get one off to you tomorrow ASAP!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

01-11-2013, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 12:14 AM by Panther.)
(01-03-2013, 11:35 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Blitzers,

I downloaded this mod a couple of months back and have been toying around with it in my limited spare time. So far I like a lot what I see.

The terrain is much like Europe with little flair of the previous WF graphics. Everything looks different which to me is refreshing. Buildings, trees, orchards, fields, wet terrain and roads have all changed. Its kind of cool!

As for the unit graphics, and boy there are a lot of different ones, they all look very close to modern combat units I've seen in pictures. I especially like the German Leopard, British Chieftain and Soviet T-80 tanks. Very nice!

The download doesn't come with a lot of scenarios but yet gives you enough to wet your whistle and spur your imagination at design.

I haven't tried a lot of the units yet with their unique movement or combat power but over time I am sure I won't be disappointed.

As for drawbacks there are a couple I should mention but they are not show stoppers.

The F2 key brings up unit info like movement costs and scoring but unfortunately there is no info on the basic unit.

Some of the background sound and movement sound files I didn't care for so I swapped some of these with files from the old Divided Ground rendition to make it more pleasing to my ear.

Some would say one of the biggest drawbacks is the fact that the whole mod is done in German. I don't feel this way. I don't know the wonderful German language, but always had a boyhood ambition of learning it, just never got around to it. But as I toy with this mod I pickup bits here and there. It kind of forces me to educate myself. I'm also using my google translator a lot which is a big help!

If I was to grade this mod off the cuff I'd give it a B+/A-.
I'm having a lot of fun with it and if your looking for a little change of pace dive into it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Its pretty cool!

Thanks for hearing my comments

Ivan the BigCigar5

Thank you for your detailed feedback. Well, we didn´t made a perfect game ... but we know this one is a good one and it makes fun.

Geraldino and i consider to work on it further, maybe new nations and new scenarios. Mike, would be great if you find time to create more of your fantastic icons.

(01-04-2013, 08:30 AM)Warhorse Wrote: I have it as well, plays very well, I helped Stefan with many of the icons, so I'm glad you like them!!

There is a English opening menu for it, I was translating the exe's, but they won't cooperate, I change them to English, and they crash, so I gave up...

Clear some space would like to PBEM this!!

Indeed, and you made a very good job!

I create and revise: Order of Battles, Table of Equipments, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (in work: DG Lebanon War 1982 - 1985, DG Falklands War and again CWE!)
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM,
Panther,

You did a very good job on this mod, I love it and thank you!Cheers3

If you want to work on some new scenarios I will help!
Thanks!

Ivan the BigCigar5
01-12-2013, 12:13 AM,
(01-11-2013, 10:59 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Panther,

You did a very good job on this mod, I love it and thank you!Cheers3

If you want to work on some new scenarios I will help!
Thanks!

Ivan the BigCigar5

Sounds good, when you have time we could start in the next few days.

R
Stefan

I create and revise: Order of Battles, Table of Equipments, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (in work: DG Lebanon War 1982 - 1985, DG Falklands War and again CWE!)
01-20-2013, 11:22 PM,
Hi Stefan,

Did you have anything in mind for new scenario development or do you want to expand on what is already in the mod?

I'm up for either or maybe you would like to try something totally new.

As a start and if we go in a new direction I have been doing a bit of reseaech on what has been known is the Fulda Gap. It has been stated many times that this route would be used in a Soviet attack on West Germany. So much so that NATO stationed the US 3rd Armored Division there for a good part of the 1970's and 1980's if the Soviets ever came. I do have some data on the US Forces for this period but I don't have a good regional map of the area. My only option at this point would be using Google Earth and constructing maps from scratch a lot of work to say the least. I also don't have a good TO&E for the Soviets. Supposidly the 8th Guards Army was stationed in the area of Fulda in SW East Germany and would most likely be the primary assault unit in the operation.

Another idea I had would be a West German/East German civil war in the 1950's or 1960's primarily centered in central and northern Germany. But in this scenario one would have to include or at least give a thought to the US, Britian and the Soviets because they did have troops stationed there.

At any rate I guess our options are many for development of new scenarios for the Cold War Mod existing or new.

Your thoughts?

Ivan the BigCigar5
01-21-2013, 10:11 PM,
Hi Ivan,

well, good idea with the Fulda Gap. It was one of the most realistic options for a Warshaw Pact main attack.

Today we know another plan was to start a massive attack in the north of west germany (Schleswig-Holstein, Niedersachsen), about the coast and the air with russian, polish and east-german troops. They should build a bridgehead and hold enough NATO forces while the main-attack would come than in the area between Fulda und Würzburg.

You know Tom Clancy´s Red Storm? Another good inspiration for a lot of scenarios. Or in the year 1983 - with Able Archer and the shutdown of the Korean civil plane.

Ivan, i think my soviet TO&E´s are ok, you can use all here.

A german zivil war would be possible, but first i should create on both german nations new units!

Well, a problem is - i haven´t any maps more, so we must create all of them new. I think you´re right with google earth. Wow, we have a timeline from 1945 - 1991 ... so many stuff for actions. We can use two different building styles also!

I have a lot of info´s about this stuff, if you need anything please ask me. Would you like to create a scenario about the FG?

R
Stefan
01-22-2013, 08:44 AM,
Am working on one around Kassel in 1985. Working on the map right now, 156x124!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue