• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New player
01-01-2013, 04:00 AM,
New player
Ok, I've decided to try a squad battles game, coming over from years of fun with the campaign series
There are some very interesting titles to try. But I will want to get stuck in to some pbem games.
So here's my question. What should I get?
Love the idea of small scale fighting in Stalingrad, and fancy trying Vietnam or Spanish cw.
Suggestions please. Thanks
Alex
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2013, 04:36 AM,
RE: New player
Welcome to the world of SB! Smile

The general rule of thumb for deciding your 1st John Tiller HPS or JPS game is to select a title that you have an interest in.

As for the very popular titles that alot of the guys are playing, those would be:

Red Victory (RV)
Eagles Strike (ES)

RV is arguably the best RV SB title to ever be released.

We actually just had the 1st ever SB game dealing with WWI released about a month ago. It is called First World War (FWW).

http://johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattl...ldWar.html

Out of the titles you mentioned Spanish Civil War (SCW) is my least favorite due to the heavy use of small caliber weapons, and very few tanks. From my POV, this title does not get played much, according to the SB Ladder results. Also, as far as I know, there are no 3rd party scenario or art mods for this title.

On the other hand, there are a ton of 3rd party scenarios for both RV and ES and there are some super good looking 3rd party art mods for RV.

Whichever title you decide to select as your 1st SB game, you will find that these type of games are a blast to play via PBEM!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Good Luck!Smile
01-01-2013, 03:25 PM,
Evening Alex:

I'd recommend anything Ozgur had a hand in. He's the best SB scenario designer out there. His titles include Red Victory, Winter War and Soviet-Afghan War. He has also done a considerable number of scenarios for Eagle Strike, which improves that game considerably. While I have only played a couple of scenarios from World War I, so far they have been quite good. I was a bit surprised on how different the early war and end of the war scenarios can be. You really get to see the birth of the infantry squad as a tactical unit.

Regardless of what title you pick, there are plenty of people here who will be more than willing to take you on. This Board is also really good about answering questions, so if you have any, sing out.

Jeff
01-02-2013, 12:07 AM,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll get an order sorted and will be looking for opponents once I get started.
01-02-2013, 07:42 AM,
Just one more heads up, to report any SqB games you will need to add that ladder to your profile using the Control Panel button top right of the page. Wink
01-02-2013, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM by Stejones82.)
(01-01-2013, 04:00 AM)alexhs Wrote: Ok, I've decided to try a squad battles game, coming over from years of fun with the campaign series
There are some very interesting titles to try. But I will want to get stuck in to some pbem games.
So here's my question. What should I get?
Love the idea of small scale fighting in Stalingrad, and fancy trying Vietnam or Spanish cw.
Suggestions please. Thanks
Alex

Greetings Alex -

I am new to the SqB series with Vietnam and Eagles Strike in hand fo a fwe weeks now. So here is my perspective.

I find I am playing eagles strike easily 75% over 25% Vietnam. I understand that Vietnam was the first title released in the series, and this, IMHO, shows in the clunkiness of the scenarios especially. They seem rather cookie-cutter. Now this is no slight to the scenario designers - it may be that the era and the forces represented lend the scenarios to that. I have yet to try any non-stock scenarios, and have it on good authority (Jeff) that these are somewhat more interesting.

Eagles Strike, so far, has proven to be very diverse and interesting. I played one PBEM game wherein I lamented that the scenario designers had created a situation for the German (me, that time) that was virtually unwinnable. Much to my surprise, by the end of the 12 turns, I had coaxed a German Minor victory! The point is that I learned to trust the scenario designers for ES in a way that I am not sure I would for Vietnam.

So my advice - for what it's worth - get ES, and any other title which interests you. I have my eye on Advance of the Reich which Santa somehow neglected in my Christmas stocking.
- - - -

In addition, while you are waiting for the game to arrive, I suggest you read through as much of this forum as you can stomach. Lots and lots of great info here.

Also, one thing which helped me was playing a few solitaire games with the "Hot Seat" option, wherein you as the human player play BOTH sides of the engagement. This helped me come to grips with spotting, opportunity fire, the length and breadth of the map, the long-range of the weapons, etc. 2cents2
- - - -

In addition, while you are waiting for the game to arrive, I suggest you read through as much of this forum as you can stomach. Lots and lots of great info here.

Also, one thing which helped me was playing a few solitaire games with the "Hot Seat" option, wherein you as the human player play BOTH sides of the engagement. This helped me come to grips with spotting, opportunity fire, the length and breadth of the map, the long-range of the weapons, etc. 2cents2
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM,
Welcome!
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
02-09-2013, 12:57 PM,
Welcome mate as others have said get what your interesting in.

Red Victory is one of my favourites, Oz has done a fantastic job. Also Pacwar is also a good investment as you get the superb free Africa at war mod as well as some really good pacific war scenarios
244 games with legend that is Richie61
02-09-2013, 06:53 PM,
(02-09-2013, 12:57 PM)Laza Wrote: Welcome mate as others have said get what your interesting in.

Red Victory is one of my favourites, Oz has done a fantastic job. Also Pacwar is also a good investment as you get the superb free Africa at war mod as well as some really good pacific war scenarios

Wot he said!

RV and ES would be my choices to start with. RV is just a straight up superb title (Oz is a master designer) and ES is enhanced by the wide range of add on scenarios and mods.

I would also agree with Compass Rose. Good comments to take on board.

If you have any interest in WWI then it is definitely worth a punt.

I also like Korea and Winter War. Korea is one of my favourite titles as well. Both sides are evenly matched and I've had some very good games. Winter War is a game that has really won me over. Didn't know much about the Finnish campaign when I first played it but Oz has really put a good selection of scenarios together.

Good to have you on board. Hope you enjoy the game.
02-09-2013, 11:05 PM,
Ditto to all. It really matters what your interests are. Just be sure to get into PBEM as it really gives you the best learning experience with any of the titles.