• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on Shelby Foote's Civil War
12-28-2012, 06:45 AM,
Question on Shelby Foote's Civil War
Does anyone own the above mentioned book(s)?

I had a look at amazon and there is a Volumes 1-3 box set available (Ft. Sumter to Perryville, Fredericksburg to Meridian, Red River to Appomattox), a "The Civil War: A Narrative 3 Volumes Signed Edition" as well as a couple of other books by Foote, for instance Ft. Donelson to Memphis, Yorktown to Cedar Mountain and others.

Is there one "ultimate" edition out there? Will each of the two box sets contain all that belongs to this work?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2012, 02:09 PM,
RE: Question on Shelby Foote's Civil War
(12-28-2012, 06:45 AM)Alpha Zwo Wrote: Does anyone own the above mentioned book(s)?

I had a look at amazon and there is a Volumes 1-3 box set available (Ft. Sumter to Perryville, Fredericksburg to Meridian, Red River to Appomattox), a "The Civil War: A Narrative 3 Volumes Signed Edition" as well as a couple of other books by Foote, for instance Ft. Donelson to Memphis, Yorktown to Cedar Mountain and others.

Is there one "ultimate" edition out there? Will each of the two box sets contain all that belongs to this work?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

It's a very good read. jonny Smile
12-28-2012, 06:27 PM,
(12-28-2012, 06:45 AM)Alpha Zwo Wrote: Does anyone own the above mentioned book(s)?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi Tom:

With Foote book, since they have been repackaged so many times, you have to be a little choosy and careful when picking out books.

The first set that you mentioned is the trilogy that he wrote from the late 1950's -1974 or so - the other set of titles, are repackaged material from the trilogy that you listed first. There are also a couple of other books out there that are simply chapters taken out of the trilogy and published as a stand alone title - Stars in their Courses (on Gettysburg) is one example - that is the chapter from the trilogy- published as a stand alone book.

Note, however, Foote did write a novel called 'Shiloh' -this is independent of what he wrote in the trilogy.

Also, Time Life published a set of books which in effect are an illustrated version of the trilogy- but there are a lot more books than 3 -as I suppose in that case it no longer qualifies as "a trilogy" per se ... I guess TL wanted to make a little more money by adding pictures. :) These also should be hard covers.

Bydand
Send this user an email
12-28-2012, 07:17 PM,
The 4 volume set " Battle's and Leader's of the Civil War " was a good read.
Maybe some of the other member's with more interest in the ACW will give their opinion.
12-28-2012, 08:03 PM,
(12-28-2012, 07:17 PM)Lowlander Wrote: The 4 volume set " Battle's and Leader's of the Civil War " was a good read.
Maybe some of the other member's with more interest in the ACW will give their opinion.

Lowlander is right, of course- plus you can get the 4 volume set off of Archive.org for free.

Co. Aytch too for that matter (plus a lot of other material).

Bydand
Send this user an email
12-29-2012, 01:20 AM,
I don't know about anybody else, maybe some one who has read more of the ACW, but the three volume set is the best I have ever read covering the entire war. I got mine in paperback, well worth the money either way.
12-29-2012, 05:03 AM,
Thanks for your replies, Gentlemen, 3 Volumes Signed Edition ordered.