• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mega Storm
10-29-2012, 02:32 AM,
b_Exclamation Mark  Mega Storm
Within the next several days, the Eastern and North-Eastern United States is going to be hit by what weather forecasters are saying could be the storm of the century; “The Perfect Storm“.

If you have any ongoing PBEM games against opponents who live in this affected area of the United States, please be extra patient for the next few weeks. With the expected major power outages, you will have great difficulty being able to contact your opponents.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Blitz Staff
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2012, 03:34 AM,
RE: Mega Storm
This is a photo of the local fishing pier here in Virginia Beach, VA

[Image: imgp1616.jpg]

Sandy is still 310 NM to the southeast moving northeast and we are already experiencing rain and street flooding with steady winds at 32 mph and gusts over 45 mph.
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
10-29-2012, 04:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 04:24 AM by Richie61.)
Bill (Rabbit) and I are up there! I am inland, but only 50 miles as the crow
flies from the coast! I have been prepping since Friday. I am worried about
the winds since my neighbors refuse to trim the dead trees on their side.
With luck, they hit my truck and flatten it Jester <==== This isn't a joke Wink

Mike is real close to it right now!

Keep safe guys!

"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 08:55 AM by Rabbit.)
They predict it will hit the New Jersey area the hardest. I am fortunate in that I live due north of Boston, so we will probably get some good gusts, but be spared the brunt of it.

People along the coast in the NJ, NY, CT, RI area are going to be facing a huge storm surge. Not to mention, the trees still have most of their leaves, so there are going to be a lot of downed power lines. New Englanders tend to shrug off these storm warnings, but hopefully people in the direct path will actually take heed (particularly people in the NJ/NY area).

By the way Mike, that's a great shot. Though I'm surprised there aren't a few knuckleheads trying to surf those monster waves.

Stay safe guys.

Best,
Bill
As a humorous aside - for Halloween, people jokingly attach fake witches to trees in their front yards to make it look like a witch flew into their tree by accident. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those witches actually flying around tomorrow. : )
10-29-2012, 09:57 AM,
Bill, you shouldn't be surprised, check these photos out:

[Image: 97794-86275.jpg]

This is a surfer at Chix Beach in Virginia Beach

[Image: 97828-6c28a.jpg]

Here's a paddle boarder at Rudee Inlet in Virginia Beach

Last year during Hurricane Irene, a local couple planned to sail their sailboat up the Chesapeake Bay toward Annapolis and relative safety. Well, they decided to take a little nap before they made the trip to Annapolis and over slept. Realizing their mistake, they immediately set sail for Annapolis right as Irene was approaching the Norfolk area. The wind and waves eventually overcame their sailboat and pushed them in toward shore near Ocean View in Norfolk where their boat broached up on the beach. Here's a photo of the Norfolk Fire and Rescue Department effecting their rescue during the height of the storm:

[Image: doc4e58bd598951d971992515.jpg]

Here's a few more random shots from around the area:

[Image: 97810-fa462.jpg]

The Virginia Beach Oceanfront

[Image: 97803-3ed01.jpg]

Sandbridge Beach in Virginia Beach

[Image: 97811-e0ab4.jpg]

The Ocean View Fishing Pier in Norfolk

[Image: 97827-063f2.jpg]

Another shot of the Ocean View Fishing Pier

Batten down the hatches Ed and Bill! Wishing both of you all the best for you and your families! Stay safe!
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
10-29-2012, 10:08 AM,
Stay safe in foxholes guys
244 games with legend that is Richie61
10-29-2012, 11:06 AM,
Lost power last year for six days following Irene. Sandy looks worse but I think you will find we are past peak in much of New England. With the exception of a few oaks most of my leaves are down. Tested new 8500w
generator and preped for Sandy yesterday. Live in CT about 8 miles from Long Island Sound. Live on a hill about a mile from the Thames River and wonder if the storm surge will get that far up.
10-29-2012, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM by Richie61.)
I lived in Narragansett RI during hurricane Bob in 1991 if I remember right and
we got flattened! I was kind of cool standing outdoors when the eye passed
over us, but I when back into hiding after that! The colors and smell in the "eye" was AWESOME!

We lost power after hurricane Irene last year for 5 days, so I except to be
in the black playing board games with the kids again Big Laugh

Keep safe!
(10-29-2012, 11:06 AM)fastphil Wrote: Lost power last year for six days following Irene. Sandy looks worse but I think you will find we are past peak in much of New England. With the exception of a few oaks most of my leaves are down. Tested new 8500w
generator and preped for Sandy yesterday. Live in CT about 8 miles from Long Island Sound. Live on a hill about a mile from the Thames River and wonder if the storm surge will get that far up.

I didn't know there was another fellow New Englander on the site!
Wick! as we said in Maine! Big Grin

I prepped for everything, but I didn't have the extra cash for a generator :(

10-29-2012, 11:45 AM,
It's blowing steady at 37 mph and gusting to 48 mph. The rain is getting heavier and is coming down sideways in sheets. And this storm is still 300 NM to the southeast! She won't be abeam of us until noon tomorrow when she starts the swing to the northwest.

It's not so much about the wind speed at the center, but more about the steady pounding for three days on end and the storm surge and coastal flooding that will come.

Good Luck to everyone in the path!
10-29-2012, 01:10 PM,
(10-29-2012, 11:45 AM)Der Landser Wrote: It's blowing steady at 37 mph and gusting to 48 mph. The rain is getting heavier and is coming down sideways in sheets. And this storm is still 300 NM to the southeast! She won't be abeam of us until noon tomorrow when she starts the swing to the northwest.

It's not so much about the wind speed at the center, but more about the steady pounding for three days on end and the storm surge and coastal flooding that will come.

Good Luck to everyone in the path!

Keep safe Mike & family!