• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help Installing Mods
08-13-2012, 12:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2012, 12:43 AM by Der Landser.)
Help Installing Mods
I'd like to install the Long War Mod for SAW, but I have a few questions regarding how to install the mod.

I've read other threads that recommend installing mods into a separate folder for that mod. I assume the reason is to keep the original game folder stock and intact and to provide a separate folder for the mod in the event the mod modifies files that are common to both the original game and the mod.

I've also read that the new folder for the mod can either be created by installing a second instance of the original game under a different folder name or by simply copying the original game folder and renaming it.

So, bearing in mind that I don't have an issue with creating a second installation from scratch, is it advisable to install the mod to the original game folder or is it best to install the mod to a separate folder? What method should I use to create the new folder for the mod which will result in a trouble and bug free installation? Should I copy the original game folder and rename it or perform a second installation?
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2012, 12:40 AM,
RE: Help Installing Mods
Check out this thread about JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=60807

I've been using JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler for over six months and it works really well.

If you are interested in the program, I'll have to send it to you since the web page that hosted the program has been down for several months.
08-13-2012, 12:45 AM,
Thanks for the info and the link Compass Rose. I'd like to take you up on your offer for the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler.
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
08-13-2012, 01:17 AM,
Email sent! Mail
08-13-2012, 01:51 AM,
Thank you very much Sir! Cheers6
08-13-2012, 02:15 AM,
Personally, I think the quickest way to do this:

1. Make a copy if your SAW folder.
2. Install LW, which will overnight your SAW folder.
3. Rename your copy of SAW to the original name.

No third party needed. Unless you have space issues, this is pretty straight forward.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-13-2012, 04:43 AM,
Thanks TheBigRedOne. The Long War mod is packaged as an executable that JSGME doesn't recognize, so I'll have to go a different route. I'll try your idea.
08-16-2012, 12:47 AM,
Thats what I had to do as well. It's pretty much what I do with any of em now. Thanks for your advise on that Alan.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.