• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Favorite armored vehicle
07-17-2012, 05:28 AM,
Favorite armored vehicle
If you had the opportunity to serve in any army, at any time period during WWII, what armored vehicle would it have been. This could include Armored Cars, Bren Carriers, as well as tanks & Tank Destroyers. For me I would have been chosen to be a member of a JagdPanther crew.
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2012, 06:59 AM,
RE: Favorite armored vehicle
(07-17-2012, 05:28 AM)Oberst Wrote: If you had the opportunity to serve in any army, at any time period during WWII, what armored vehicle would it have been. This could include Armored Cars, Bren Carriers, as well as tanks & Tank Destroyers. For me I would have been chosen to be a member of a JagdPanther crew.

In a Tiger with Michel Wittman ;)
07-17-2012, 03:47 PM,
I would go for a Panther tank....

07-17-2012, 05:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012, 05:26 PM by Crossroads.)
(07-17-2012, 06:59 AM)Juan Manuel Wrote: In a Tiger with Michel Wittman ;)

That did not end well though, did it Helmet Smile

Hmmm... I'd like to serve in Oddball's Sherman. He seemed to have an aura that'd see the crew make it through the war without wondering too much in to harm's way? Salute

[Image: 600px-KHBrowningM3-3.jpg]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
07-18-2012, 03:31 AM,
The U.S. Army M-18 Hellcat: the one tank destroyer that was well-designed for its role, vs. an ad hoc modification, and that could be used in accordance with TD doctine... and one of the few American or British AFVs that earned the unalloyed respect of its opponents.

I could never "choose to serve in" a German vehicle, as their WW2 armed forces served a regime that was the exemplar of evil and depravity in the 20th century; not to belittle the USSR's strong second-best claim to that title. Lest we forget, in our gamers' enthusiasm.

March3
07-18-2012, 05:56 AM,
Hellcats vs Hunting Panthers would make for an interesting scenario.
07-18-2012, 07:36 AM,
I'd pick any with wings and the nickname "Mustang". Armor's just too dang slow. :)

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
07-18-2012, 08:56 AM,
Gotta be the Tiger I for me.....

At every german armor sighting by the allies - they claimed to have come across the Tiger - so for an armor fighting vehicle to get that much talk and fear from it's shear presence (as we know what kind of damage the Tiger could really do) was a legend in it's time both real time & in the minds of the allies....

07-18-2012, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM by Big Ivan.)
[attachment=3600]
Gotta be the US M36 Jackson or "Slugger"

Good speed and a hell of a main gun 90mm to deal with Tigers and Panthers!

But important safety message, its best if one gets the first shot!

Ivan the BigCigar5
07-18-2012, 11:21 AM,
(07-18-2012, 05:56 AM)Oberst Wrote: Hellcats vs Hunting Panthers would make for an interesting scenario.

Yes it would! Speed and 360 traverse (rate of fire in CS terms) vs. main armament lethality. It would be an extreme test of the U.S. tactics that emphasized numbers and maneuver to gain the flanks and rear of German armor. Our scenario, to be tethered to reality, might need to consider the crew quality and training issues that plagued late-war German armor, and that strangely Soap Box don't seem well-represented in most CS scenario designs.

An interesting mismatch! The Jagdpanther was a response to the stiff competition in the gun/armor race on the Eastern Front. In the West, facing thin skinned Allied tanks and the thinner-skinned TDs, it would be hard to justify diverting Panther production to field Jagdpanthers Even the 75L48 was more than adequate
against all but the late-war Pershings and M4 assault tanks; the Panther's 75L70 even more so.