• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Steam and Iron : The Great War at Sea
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM,
c_Question Mark  Steam and Iron : The Great War at Sea
Does anyone own Steam and Iron : The Great War at Sea?

[Image: 0d2b6bddd6799.jpg]

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo....grwar.html

If so, what do you think of it?

Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2012, 12:19 AM,
RE: Steam and Iron : The Great War at Sea
http://www.wargamer.com/article/3177/pc-...war-at-sea

Above link is a review of the game. The reviewer makes the game sound impressive. I like the idea that there is a lot of detail to a ship. Other games simplified the ships too much.

Given I can get some funds for this it is now on my list of games to try out. Thanks for letting us know about this game.
07-23-2012, 12:58 AM,
Thanks for the review link!

There is a demo available for Steam and Iron : The Great War at Sea that you may want to try before buying it.

I've only tried playing the demo twice. I still haven't figured out if I like it or not.

09-26-2012, 02:15 PM,
I have the game an I love the detailed damage system. I also like the time control for the game. I even fought a small engagment in realtime. It made for an interesting evening.
11-06-2012, 08:09 PM,
I posted a small review for this in Klank's thread. Keep in mind I am mostly a land-based wargamer :)
03-01-2013, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013, 08:28 PM by hadriyagee.)
I am really grateful to recieve information from experienced people and i hope that this post will help others as well !
03-06-2013, 01:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013, 01:18 PM by Stejones82.)
Can one play by email?
03-09-2013, 05:40 AM,
Stejones82,

No you can't :( I love the game, but I am still wishing for a turn based naval war game that supports PBEM...
04-04-2013, 06:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013, 06:38 AM by Kool Kat.)
(07-23-2012, 12:58 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Thanks for the review link!

There is a demo available for Steam and Iron : The Great War at Sea that you may want to try before buying it.

I've only tried playing the demo twice. I still haven't figured out if I like it or not.

Gents: Smoke7

I am trying to decide if I want to get my feet "wet" (pun intended! Wink ) in naval combat. I downloaded the Steam and Iron demo... and have played through some of the small ship-to-ship encounters.

Pros: I like the ship line drawings and detailed damage indicators. I like how the ship batteries swing and track their targets. I like the various turn speed options and find myself playing more in the "real time" mode. I also find this naval time period to be interesting.

Cons: The "game view" of the ships are ok, but would like more of a 3D effect. No PBeM option. Even in "captain" mode, you have limited control of the gun batteries? You can issue "hold fire" orders for both batteries and torpedoes and lay smoke, but gun batteries open fire as each battery comes into range and correct facing (can see) enemy vessels with no "control" or input from the captain? Idea2

So... for me, I'm still trying to decide if my Pros out weight my Cons with Steam and Iron? Also, if my bank account will support this "potential" purchase too! Wink

P.S. Also, has anyone purchased the Steam and Iron expansion pack? What does the expansion pack bring to this game? Unique ships? Game features? Other stuff?
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-04-2013, 06:47 AM,
I never did end up getting this game. It didn't impress me enough.

I'm just going to save my money and wait and wait and wait for the perfect PBEM Naval only Combat game to be released.

Waiting

Hopefully one will be released in my lifetime!