• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dropbox Drops Public Sharing Folders For New Accounts
06-16-2012, 12:26 PM,
Dropbox Drops Public Sharing Folders For New Accounts
Dropbox is discontinuing public sharing folders for new Dropbox accounts effective July 31st."In April, we launched the ability to share any file or folder in your Dropbox with a simple link," the Dropbox team wrote in an announcement. "This new sharing mechanism is a more generalized, scalable way to support many of the same use cases as the Public folder."
Basically, new users will still be able to share files with friends, but they'll need to generate and share a link to the specific file first, which Dropbox users can do already. If you're already a Dropbox user, fear not: your Public folder is staying safe, sound and open to all -- at least for now
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2012, 02:23 AM,
RE: Dropbox Drops Public Sharing Folders For New Accounts
Thanks for this info. I recommend DB to a lot of people for lots of things. I always wondered how their business model was going to work in the long run. I guess the commercial accounts keeps them going.
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM,
RE: Dropbox Drops Public Sharing Folders For New Accounts
Actually, they were forced into this position. An Asian company like DB was sued because some moron mistakenly placed very important files in a public folder that caused damages. Scanned the article because it was not that important to me but that is the way I read (scanned) it.