• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tech Support - All posts here, please
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM by Crossroads.)
c_Question Mark  Tech Support - All posts here, please
Please use this thread for any questions, comments or problems you have with this mod! Salute6

Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2012, 10:51 PM by junk2drive.)
RE: Tech Support - Questions and Answers - All posts here, please
Here is a picture tutorial for JSGME with another game but the principals are the same for JTCS.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1773663

Note that you have to run the installer inside the folder of EF, WF, RS not in the main game folder.
05-31-2012, 11:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2012, 11:01 PM by Crossroads.)
Thanks, that will save me a lot of work, I will refer to this guide instead!

As for the folder structure, the main reason for NOT putting a separate JSGME into each sub folder is just that, it becomes a bit of an work to manage all three games within JTCS. Because one would need to navigate to each sub folder to locate the particular JSGME relevant to it...

Instead, my plan is indeed to just have one JSGME at the JTCS root. The mods would need to packaged a bit differently though, that is all there is to it?

E.g.:

\MODS\EF-LWM1.1a\East Front\*content*
\MODS\EF-Panzerblitz UI Mod\East Front\*content*
\MODS\WF-Panzer Leader UI Mod\West Front\*content*

See what I did there? A bit more work for mod packaging, but ease of use for end user with just one JSGME.

Or did I miss something? What do you think?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-31-2012, 11:33 PM,
Yes, you either install in each folder and create desktop shortcuts to each one or, as you suggest, create a completely modded folder for each mod with the installer in the main folder.

Your way works for total conversion mods like LW but not so good for simple mods such as my USMC mod for RS.

I also like Mike's way with Korean War of having a separate folder.
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2012, 12:08 AM by Crossroads.)
Good points there. I also like Mike's packaging re KW and K'talan. It also makes sense to package them completely separately, because essentially they are completely new games.

LWM is essentially an OOB update, and it should be 100% backward compatible. Therefore the more I think the less of an risk I see it being added onto EF itself, as with help of JSGME it can be 100% removed if so be.

So the remaining question is how to package it. I think I will try to keep things simple and just propose one JSGME in the root. Those familiar with JSGME, and perhaps already having a separate JSGME in each sub game, can always add LWM into EF MODS folder, with removing the extra folder from the file structure I've packaged it into.

Visit us at CSLegion.com
06-01-2012, 12:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2012, 12:14 AM by junk2drive.)
IF I was a fan of EF and LW I would have folders for both with a desktop shortcut to LW. (If that is possible? Mike did it but may have changed the exe.) That way my save games and new scenarios would be kept separate. I don't have to worry with un/installing a mod to play a PBEM turn.
06-01-2012, 01:09 AM,
Yep. I'll talk to Mike about how to do this.

I wish there'd be a fool proof way to just create a local copy of the EF folder (this is the part that seems NOT to be fool proof), and then to just add my mod on top of it.

Mike's downloads are at and around 200 MBs, I would really like to keep mine at 17MBs for a quick download...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
06-01-2012, 04:19 PM,
Hmmm... I am seeing EF is now not happy about a team PBEM file, even when the LWM1.1 (with its separate exe made by Mike) has been enabled then disabled...

This packaging thing might take some time to be figured out...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM,
Hey Petri,

Not sure what the issue is, but am still running Win XP Pro. I think it must be a problem with the Win7 file structure, or how it handles the whole thing?! In it's eyes the exe has changed. so it has a fit, even though you disabled it? I'm not entirely sold on Win7 yet, really sucks MS can't quit messing around with windows versions to where they don't work with older files and such.

I would consider just making your mod a whole game, especially since you have the other countrys in it now. Remove all stock scenario's and irrelevant files from it, should cut the size down. I'm sorry I don't have win7, my wife does, but understandably won't let me try any tests on it!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
06-01-2012, 08:48 PM,
Cheers Mike, I will consider that. Let us see if I could get a few (Win XP based?) playtesters in with just the mod files themselves, so we could quickly roll some patches if needed.

On the other hand, should I package this as a complete install, it will be easier to provide patches to it.

The thing is I don't trust my install folder anymore. If I would provide you with the latest mod core, do you think you would have time at some point of time when ever that might be to put it together as an independent game folder?

Visit us at CSLegion.com