• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Winter War" & "Modern War" worth it?
05-15-2012, 11:16 AM,
"Winter War" & "Modern War" worth it?
I am bore & need another SB title.
I am looking at "Winter War" and or "Modern War".
Is there people out there playing it?
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2012, 07:58 PM,
RE: "Winter War" & "Modern War" worth it?
Winter War was a real eye opener for me. I knew nothing about the topic when I initially started playing it. After a few games I was won over. She is a very good title with some ripper scenarios. Would very much recommend the investment.

Modern War isn't really my cup of tea gaming wise so I'll let others comment on that one. In saying that it's still a good title.
05-16-2012, 01:49 AM,
If you don't have DBP, that would be a good one to consider and another opne would be whatever title you need to be able to download AAW if you don't already have that mod. To me, it ranks up there with DBP. Both are very crisp looking and have been mucho fun to play.
05-16-2012, 02:36 AM,
Pretty much any title you pick will be a good one. I do agree with Nik about Winter war. It was the first title I playtested. Knew very little about the conflict, but now consider it to be one of the more interesting aspects of how WWII evolved. Oz put some really nice effort into that game, picking it up off a dusty shelf to complete work that started years earlier by Frank "Echo Four" Harmon. Good stuff.

That said, MW is also a good title. Modern warfare, equipment, great scenarios. It's also a game that has a lot of potential for scenario design, given that we are still there fighting.

OJW is also correct about DBP. It's a great game with some really well done scenarios. At first I worried that it would just be slogging through the mud and trenches, and there is a lot of that, but Mike really was able to make the game 'feel' like you were there. You're struggling to cross terrain all the while getting shot at. Then the intense trench battles start. There are also a lot of other scenarios from the entire French war in Indochina, not just all DBP.

Pick a game that you are interested in. Most players here have all the games, you'll find an opponent for them all.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
05-16-2012, 06:17 AM,
Ed, I'll get You whichever game You fancy if my standard turn rate is not an issue here;I happen to have WW '39/'40 already installed and quite unexplored, intend to play the whole DBP and SAW out and have already done a little to fulfil that that plan and I am going to buy both MW and F'82; have AAW installed and am eager to play it too. Of course I'd still like to carry on with our 2nd Indo engagements. So ... no worries, no doubts.
05-17-2012, 03:56 AM,
IMO Winter War is excellent and right up there close to RV in in scenario quality (no surprise as Ozgur has his work in both titles). A bonus with winter war is that it comes with the electronic book "The White Death" by William Trotter.
I have to say MW is my least favorite title of the SB games I own...that is not to say it is bad...I still play it but the scenarios that I have played have not been quite as interesting.
05-18-2012, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM by Richie61.)
(05-16-2012, 06:17 AM)burroughs Wrote: Ed, I'll get You whichever game You fancy if my standard turn rate is not an issue here;I happen to have WW '39/'40 already installed and quite unexplored, intend to play the whole DBP and SAW out and have already done a little to fulfil that that plan and I am going to buy both MW and F'82; have AAW installed and am eager to play it too. Of course I'd still like to carry on with our 2nd Indo engagements. So ... no worries, no doubts.

Now a WWII SB title for 1939-1940 would be really cool!
I was wondering when you were coming back to finish kicking my butt with all the damn helicopters LOL

"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM by burroughs.)
(05-18-2012, 10:57 AM)Richie61 Wrote: [Now a WWII SB title for 1939-1940 would be really cool!
I was wondering when you were coming back to finish kicking my butt with all the damn helicopters LOL

Aw, yes, it stung and I got the message ;) I also deem that the SB titles with its fast tactical flavour is meant for a fast gameplay, but since I include those scenarios among my many operational ones and I happen to have a vivid memory of what is going on in the field even though I may have watched the replay a couple of days before, I don't have a problem with the turns not being completed instantly and sent back over - but some of my opponents must have disliked that a bit I daresay.

I just wanted to state that there is still general will to fight, but perhaps not the capacity all the time ...

Wait to meet the Blues in Vietnam who went into the field with more firepower than god himself as K. Jorgenson, the author of "Acceptable Loss" claimed, if You think that the coppres have been kicking Your bottom in the boonies.