• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Red Victory has Arrived & Installed!
04-10-2012, 05:03 AM,
Red Victory has Arrived & Installed!
Gents: Smoke7

I am happy to report that my copy of SB Red Victory has arrived today... and successfully installed on my gaming PC! Big Grin

Now.... I plan to work my way through the 000.scn (Tank Calvary at Slutsk) to understand the controls and basic movement / combat.

Than... (gasp)... I'll reach out to Oz for his "help!" :whis:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 05:20 AM,
RE: Red Victory has Arrived & Installed!
Good News!
04-10-2012, 05:38 AM,
Cool beans!

I am fairly new at SB and you will pick up the commands rather quick!

I hope to see you on the cyber battlefield soon Tank7
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM,
SQB=good times! Enjoy RV, now get the rest of the series!
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM by Kool Kat.)
Gents: Smoke7

Oz -----------> :pm:

So far... have found the SB controls to be rather intuitive and easy to learn.

I think one of the biggest "changes" for me will be the "smaller" scale of SB versus Campaign Series (CS). I found in my practice games against HAL that units fired and engaged at "longer" ranges than what is found in a typical CS encounter! Yikes2

But... than again... it is all relative? Idea2

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM,
A hex in CS is 250 meters while in SB it is only 40. The maximum range of most bolt action rifles in SB is ten hexes or 400 meters, less than two hexes in CS. The default maximum visibility in SB is 2000 meters, which is less than the majority of CS scenarios. So I think what you are seeing is relative, based on the scale of the game, rather than a difference in tactics used by the AI.

The SB AI does a pretty good job on the defense, less so on the attack.

Jeff

04-10-2012, 11:05 PM,
Turn sent. Thumbs Up
04-10-2012, 11:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012, 02:29 AM by Kool Kat.)
(04-10-2012, 11:05 PM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: Turn sent. Thumbs Up

Turn received! Hide4

Oz and I are off and running in my first SB battle! MG

Hope to be out of boot camp soon! :)
Send this user an email
04-12-2012, 12:07 AM,
(04-10-2012, 11:01 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: A hex in CS is 250 meters while in SB it is only 40. The maximum range of most bolt action rifles in SB is ten hexes or 400 meters, less than two hexes in CS. The default maximum visibility in SB is 2000 meters, which is less than the majority of CS scenarios.

I think it may take some time for me to get adjusted to the SB scale.

In my current battle with Oz... I'm charging too far forward... without using suppressing fire... because I mistakenly believe my units are out of range of enemy fire! Crazy

Learning lots of "basic" stuff... like leaders who are calling in artillery barrages... need to have LOS to target hexes... or your rounds are going to scatter all over the battlefield! In CS... any combat unit that has LOS to a target hex can act as a spotter for artillery. Need to start "unlearning" CS to more effectively play SB! ;)

It also seems to me that in SB more "random" combat events can plague your units... like your advancing T34/85 tank suddenly becomes immobilized by a hit to the treads or runs over a mine. Also your infantry squads can quickly become pinned, demoralized, and killed by enemy fire! Yikes2

Really not crazy about the "3D" graphics... but "2D" works just fine... even though sometimes I confuse leaders with squads! Crazy

But all and all... it is an interesting game system that is starting to "grow" on me.

I hope I can continue to learn and pick up more tips with each playing. :)

Send this user an email
04-12-2012, 12:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2012, 12:42 AM by Ozgur Budak.)
Quote:Really not crazy about the "3D" graphics... but "2D" works just fine... even though sometimes I confuse leaders with squads!

Leader units have a star icon. Also dont forget to check "leader on top" option in the settings menu. That will put leaders on top of your unit stacks.
And for God sake, dont run towards set up machine guns :)