• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tutorial showing how to use TOC with CMBN
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012, 05:00 AM by noob.)
Tutorial showing how to use TOC with CMBN
Below is a link to my website containing a step by step guide showing how i use TOC Normandy '44 in conjunction with Combat Mission Battle for Normandy to create H2H CMBN battles in the context of a Campaign.

https://sites.google.com/site/cmx2h2hcampaigns/

p.s. To receive updates of any revisions to the tutorial please subscribe to this thread,
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2012, 11:08 AM,
RE: Tutorial showing how to use TOC with CMBN
Wow...kudos to you...looks like an incredible amount of time & effort...well done!
03-18-2012, 11:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2012, 11:56 AM by noob.)
(03-18-2012, 11:08 AM)larsonney Wrote: Wow...kudos to you...looks like an incredible amount of time & effort...well done!

Thanks for the compliment, i first tried out this idea five years ago with CMAK and Tobruk '41, with two players per side and me as the umpire, but real life intervened, however last year with the advent of CMBN i got my desire back for CM and the time to play it, but i got so frustrated with playing badly designed custom scenarios that i decided to resurrect this idea so i could play, or give other players the chance, to play CM battles in an operational context.

I started running an operation as an umpire using CMBN and Normandy '44 last year, and this tutorial is the result of the experience.
It also taught me that being an umpire with opposing teams was hard work, so i needed to come up with a system that would allow two opposing players the chance to play CM operationally without umpires and data sheets, and then if the CM battles mounted up, they could be sub contracted out to other players in the CM community to be played as standard h2h PBEM / Real time games, with the briefings written by the respective CO's.

The thing i like about the sub contracting idea is that, as in real life, the Commanders are the only ones really concerned with the big operational picture, the sub ordinates just follow the orders, which means participants do not get overwhelmed with having to learn rules and read maps, they just have to make sure they carry out what the CM briefings attached to the CM battles tell them to do.

Obviously a good commander will listen to his subordinates if they have suggestions, however the main job of moving strategically will be the sole responsibility of the commander.

I am currently starting a PzC / CM operation with a CM friend of mine, and i have a few players interested in playing any surplus CM battles, so if you are interested i will get in touch when the time comes.
03-21-2012, 02:21 PM,
Yes, please do!

Jon
03-22-2012, 05:31 AM,
Very, very cool sir! I may actually want to try this.
03-22-2012, 09:00 AM,
(03-22-2012, 05:31 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: Very, very cool sir! I may actually want to try this.

Thanks for the positive response, i have just added a section on vehicle recovery at the bottom of the tutorial page.

03-25-2012, 12:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM by noob.)
I have modified the morale section of the tutorial.

03-26-2012, 04:58 AM,
I have added some new information to the section entitled "PzC Offensive Fire and Assault phase".
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM,
I have changed the rules for Artillery.
04-01-2012, 01:53 AM,
I have changed the image and some text showing how to edit the campaign units to display the CM settings for experience and fitness.