• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A few map mods
02-19-2012, 12:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 05:39 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Write a Note  A few map mods
Someone just asked me about a river mod that I made a few years ago, so I thought that I ought to upload it.  While I was at it, I uploaded a couple of other ones that I've made.  

The river mod was made in order to accentuate the distinction between the rivers and the streams, especially in winter weather.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to make a link to the download folder, but it's here on the Blitz, under my profile's "My Files" link.  

I also made a rail mod that was intended to make the rail lines easier to distinguish in the jump map.  It didn't quite meet that goal, but I liked the way that it looked, so I kept it.

Here's a snapshot of both of these mods:
[Image: 7765a7c40fSample%20of%20River%20&%20Rail%20Mods.jpg]

The other mod that I made was a slight refinement of the old version of the IP/Trench/Bunker/PB markers from Jison's excellent Map Mod.  My intent was to better distinguish the soft IP/Trenches from the hard Bunker/PBs.  (He had used green and blue dots, which at times were difficult to tell apart.)  I realize that he's since gone back to the "counter" version of these map markers, but I liked his earlier idea. Here's a peek at that one:
[Image: c0046c2e40Sample%20of%20Bunker%20Mod.jpg]

Attached Files
.zip   River, Rail, Canal Mod.zip (Size: 35.6 KB / Downloads: 89)
.zip   Jison + Bunker Mod.zip (Size: 13.12 KB / Downloads: 40)
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM,
RE: A few map mods
An interesting approach to the river and stream problem.

A lot of people, myself included, grappled with the river/stream problem by making the rivers a darker shade and the streams a lighter shade of blue. Not very original, but it probably works.

In real life ™ rivers and streams aren't blue, but we're dealing with cartographic symbols so everyone expects them to be. Imagine the howls if they were green or orange.

Here's what my version looks like from two different games:

[Image: rnsn.jpg]

If you want to take a closer look it can be found here:

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-s...ps-titles/

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
02-20-2012, 04:14 AM,
Actually it was me who was asking Liebchen for this mod. I had seen it but could not find it. Liebchen very kindly and fast delivered it to me. Again thanks higly appreciated!
I like to use mods in my PZC. Mostly graphic units mod's and of course Volcanoman's and Map mod.
But I do not like how the rivers are outlined in Map mod. Liebchen's river mod solve the problem for me :-)
As I mostly play only full campaigns rivers are of utmost importance they can make or break a game. With this I always know where they are!
02-20-2012, 05:38 AM,
(02-20-2012, 04:14 AM)Bushido Wrote: Actually it was me who was asking Liebchen for this mod. I had seen it but could not find it. Liebchen very kindly and fast delivered it to me. Again thanks higly appreciated!
I like to use mods in my PZC. Mostly graphic units mod's and of course Volcanoman's and Map mod.
But I do not like how the rivers are outlined in Map mod. Liebchen's river mod solve the problem for me :-)
As I mostly play only full campaigns rivers are of utmost importance they can make or break a game. With this I always know where they are!

Well, as I'm sure you guys can understand, it is impossible to make a mod which pleases everyone in every little detail, and if it ever would come to a point when all I could hear was praise and satisfaction - well, the only thing that would tell me is that not even gentlemen hesitate to lie sometimes. ;)

Liebchen has proven to be something of a problem solver in the past too if I remember correctly, and I think it is great when people find their own solutions when things in the mod, for one reason or another, doesnt fit their personal taste. You need to find your own 'comfort zone' as Lowlander said sometime ago. :)

Jison
Send this user an email
02-20-2012, 08:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012, 04:45 AM by gabeeg.)
Liebchen, Thanks for sharing! I will definately use your river mod and rail mod. Both are improvements for my tastes and middle aged eyes.

...Though, I for the hexsides 50 and 100 I used Jisons files and copied and pasted in your couple of rows of river images at the top (leaving the rest stock Map Mod...best of both worlds :)
02-20-2012, 08:46 AM,
Thanks for creating and sharing them Liebchen! :respect2:

I'll be using it too! My eyes aren't the greatest anymore, either. Search