• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Contrasts between MW & RV. A point of view issue.
01-28-2012, 05:55 AM,
Contrasts between MW & RV. A point of view issue.
Howdy,

I'm thinking of a new purchase now after recently picking up P&F. I was wondering if anyone would like to pitch in on what title might offer more PBEM options, MW or RV (my gut is telling me RV). I'm equally interested in both titles; but I have a slight inclination towards MW, mostly because it is refreshingly different from the WWII setting, and a lot of my current reading list is centers on the Afghan conflict.

I'm sure a lot of you are playing RV due to its wide scenario dbase, but if any of you have some words and views on MW let me know.
I currently own: Vietnam, P&F, ES & AotR.
ES is unplayable due to a disc corruption that will not complete the install process (any advice here welcome too).

Thanks, Shoop.
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2012, 06:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 06:27 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: Contrasts between MW & RV. A point of view issue.
I own RV however, I don't own MW so I can not help you on comparing the two. As for RV, it can arguably be considered the best game to date, of the whole series.

As for your ES problem, fire off a email to HPS support [email protected]

They have 1st class customer service on John Tiller titles and will help you get squared away.

01-28-2012, 06:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 07:09 AM by Rabbit.)
From a very high level, what I like best about MW is its overall style and feel. It does a wonderful job making you feel like you are battling it out against snipers in the hills of Afghanistan or trying to ferret out some insurgents with RPGs in a city neighborhood in Iraq. It is a very fun title to play.

Meanwhile, I feel RV has the best strategically-designed scenarios in any of the SB titles I've played. I find it to be the most cerebral and chess-like of all the SB titles. It is a great for PBEM play, but it can be very challenging.

For someone who is relatively new to SB and is likely to play a little bit more against the AI, I would suggest MW for its fun aspect and because it is a little more forgiving if you make some minor mistakes. For someone who has been playing SB for a little while and is looking mostly for PBEM games (which seems to be your situation), then I would recommend RV.

But you can't go wrong in picking either one. : )

Hth,
Bill
01-28-2012, 07:04 AM,
Having been involved in the playtesting of both titles, I can say each are really great.

From a PBEM perspective, I think that RV may offer you more opportunities to play. Chad is correct in saying that it is the most popular title on the ladder here.

MW is also a great title. The asymmetric nature of the battle in Iraq and Afghanistan made putting together balanced scenarios a bit more challenging, but Joao did a fantastic job of trying to even out the playing field in terms of balance.

You can't go wrong with either. It all depends on if you'd rather play a modern title versus a WWII one, really.

If you like Afghanistan, SAW is a somewhat under appreciated title.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
01-28-2012, 02:56 PM,
Thanks for the opinions thus far; any one else, please feel free to give your opinions. I will likely make the plunge tomorrow, and I think it will RV, mainly for the overall value factor included with the game. Plus, how can one ever really tire of WWII.
MW & SAW may be down the road. I'm sure I won't regret selecting RV. Thanks. T.Helmet Wink
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM by Richie61.)
(01-28-2012, 02:56 PM)Shoopzee Wrote: Thanks for the opinions thus far; any one else, please feel free to give your opinions. I will likely make the plunge tomorrow, and I think it will RV, mainly for the overall value factor included with the game. Plus, how can one ever really tire of WWII.
MW & SAW may be down the road. I'm sure I won't regret selecting RV. Thanks. T.Helmet Wink

I bought RV and didn't play it for 6 months. One night I started messing around with it and LOVED it! I am an Eastern Front junkie and this game is lots of fun. I have now bought AotR, Vietnam (for mod) and SAW (for mod) and I am looking into Proud & Few and Korea soon.

I came into Squad Battles very late, but at least I made it! You can't go wrong adding this to your collect.

I have stopped the "Red Hoard" yet, but they are feeling it in the morning Big Laugh
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-28-2012, 07:30 PM,
Being honest here, I personally feel the SB series struggles with modern weapons. The drop in effectiveness can cripple what should be heavy hitting weapons..they are good for a few shots and then after that you may aswell be firing a peashooter..it's a problem in all games however I find it more of a problem with modern warfare. Until SB gets proper ammo counts and a RoF option for each weapon this will always be abstracted and in my opinion really does hamper the game.

So I'd say RV, plus you can use one of my mods;)
Send this user an email
01-30-2012, 04:14 AM,
(01-28-2012, 07:30 PM)Wodin Wrote: Being honest here, I personally feel the SB series struggles with modern weapons. The drop in effectiveness can cripple what should be heavy hitting weapons..they are good for a few shots and then after that you may aswell be firing a peashooter..it's a problem in all games however I find it more of a problem with modern warfare. Until SB gets proper ammo counts and a RoF option for each weapon this will always be abstracted and in my opinion really does hamper the game.

So I'd say RV, plus you can use one of my mods;)

What is your Mod? I have only WulfsMod thus far installed from TFE4, just purchased the game.

01-30-2012, 04:30 AM,
(01-30-2012, 04:14 AM)Shoopzee Wrote: What is your Mod? I have only WulfsMod thus far installed from TFE4, just purchased the game.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=60881

01-30-2012, 10:20 AM,
Well, For me owning only a half dozen SB titles...RV is hands down my favorite, mainly due to the fantastic job done with the scenarios...MW is my least favorite...mostly due to the scenarios...and I have to agree with Wodin SB mechanics seem to me to suit WWII best. That said, MW is a decent game and I play and enjoy it...it is just my least favorite.