• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bite the Bullet Tournament Medal Poll
01-26-2012, 05:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2012, 10:58 PM by Ashcloud.)
Bite the Bullet Tournament Medal Poll
I would like to know which medal to award contestants in the Bite the Bullet Tournament.

[Image: Bite1.jpg]
http://www.execweb-concepts.co.za/images/war/Bite1.jpg

[Image: Bite2.jpg]
http://www.execweb-concepts.co.za/images/war/Bite2.jpg

[Image: Bite3.jpg]
http://www.execweb-concepts.co.za/images/war/Bite3.jpg
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2012, 07:00 PM,
RE: Bite the Bullet Tournament Medal Poll
This will probably draw the ire of some here, but I would recommend we not use anything with a swastika on it when associating with the club. This symbology carriers way too much baggage to be used in my opinion, and opens the club up to a host of allegations and accusations and is just generally off putting.

On a personal note, I find it offensive, but that is not why I write what I did above. No matter your personal beilefs, you cannot escape the fact that this symbol now represents for most racist hatred, terror, and murder.

In fact, such a display may violate the law in Germany and could technically constitute a crime for our German members.

I would submit that such a question of usage has to be decided by Jim vK.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
01-26-2012, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM by Ashcloud.)
(01-26-2012, 07:00 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: This will probably draw the ire of some here, but I would recommend we not use anything with a swastika on it when associating with the club. This symbology carriers way too much baggage to be used in my opinion, and opens the club up to a host of allegations and accusations and is just generally off putting.

On a personal note, I find it offensive, but that is not why I write what I did above. No matter your personal beilefs, you cannot escape the fact that this symbol now represents for most racist hatred, terror, and murder.

In fact, such a display may violate the law in Germany and could technically constitute a crime for our German members.

I would submit that such a question of usage has to be decided by Jim vK.

LR

Hi Larry,

Never meant to offend (I got the image from the background of the website for the tournament - and did not design it myself - although I would not have thought of it myself, I don't want to be insensitive).

How does everyone else feel? Do I need to redesign?
Send this user an email
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM,
2Cents
I think the Swastika image is fine for the tournament. It is a tournament and not a meeting of the young Hitlers or Stalins?

I am often more offended by the symbol of the Hammer and Sickle and what it represented than I am about the Swastika.

Both are foul. Yet both are part of history whether they offend or not?

Not using a word or image is self censorship that I personally do not care for?
Are we going to go the way of model companies and ask the History Channel to remove or paint over the Swastika and Hammer and Sickle symbols that are part of history?

cheers

HSL
01-26-2012, 11:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2012, 11:06 PM by Huib Versloot.)
I don't mind either. When I build scale models of Luftwaffe planes and the swastika decals are not included, I will buy a sheet separately to get them "as they were"

The red star and the hakenkreuz were symbols of the historic armies involved. I might as well be offended by the US star because they dropped a nuclear bomb and deliberately started firestorms in civilian areas in Germany (not that I am but as a matter of speaking)

The fact brought forward for German law fro German members might be true and needs to be considered.

Huib
01-26-2012, 11:20 PM,
Not sure how to edit the POLL, so just indicate your preference for the third one here.

Or tell me how to edit the POLL.
Send this user an email
01-26-2012, 11:36 PM,
(01-26-2012, 11:20 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: Not sure how to edit the POLL, so just indicate your preference for the third one here.

Maybe it's best to just use the third option or whatever you see fit as tournament director, (no poll) to avoid discussion about the German symbol.

Huib
01-26-2012, 11:49 PM,
(01-26-2012, 11:36 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 11:20 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: Not sure how to edit the POLL, so just indicate your preference for the third one here.

Maybe it's best to just use the third option or whatever you see fit as tournament director, (no poll) to avoid discussion about the German symbol.

Huib

Good idea Huib, Ok - third one it is - poll is cancelled - if I could delete it I would but apparently I can't.
Send this user an email
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM,
Per request, poll deleted.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM,
(01-27-2012, 12:08 AM)Scud Wrote: Per request, poll deleted.

Dave

Thanks Dave, can you delete the entire thread?
Send this user an email