• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Troubled ferrying infantry ...
01-22-2012, 07:03 AM,
Troubled ferrying infantry ...
Gentelmen!

Have a look at the attached .jpeg file and be kind enough so as to advise me why my rifle subunits seem to be unable to get to the other bank; I have already had a few of them crossing in a few different locations and there was no problem with that. I thought that maybe a battalion sized element is too large to be transported that way, in boats as a whole since I cannot detach companies , but I have had dismounted motorized rifle coys crossing successfully and now I have a couple more of them in a few other locations, exactly where their sister subunits have crossed previously and them too can't be ferried.What am I missing again from the picture?

Please advise.

Well, I hope that my opponent is not going to collect some easy intel here, coming across that thread by chance ...

Attached Files
.jpg   Korsun \'44 - Kanev.JPG (Size: 340.12 KB / Downloads: 36)
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2012, 07:07 AM,
RE: Troubled ferrying infantry ...
An engineer conducting Bridging Operations cannot Ferry as well

:p
Send this user an email
01-22-2012, 07:28 AM,
(01-22-2012, 07:07 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: An engineer conducting Bridging Operations cannot Ferry as well

:p

What do You mean? That they are still busy organizing the crossing and that's not ready yet to be used? I would say I had a few such installations, two or three I guess, from the onset of the operation and I had one unit crossing there on the first turn, then there was no interference nor some other commands for that particular engineer subunit from my GHQ, then another unit was ready to cross, of a similar size and organization - I would say that the accompanying circumstances, so to speak, were exactly the same as previously - but still they could not cross at all in there ...
01-22-2012, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 07:51 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
I mean what I say: An engineer unit cannot build a bridge at the same time it is ferrying units using its boats. Stop trying to build a bridge, and you will be able to ferry again.
Send this user an email
01-22-2012, 08:10 AM,

Take the unit out of bridge ops, ferry your units over and then put the engineer unit back to bridge ops, the downside is that you are restarting the pontoon building exercise each time you do this (assuming you are trying to cross the full hex river), if possible i like to have two engineer units in a crossing hex, one to build the bridge and one to ferry troops.

It should be noted that the rules for ferrying and bridge building across a hexside river and a full hex river have important differences. ;)
01-22-2012, 11:22 AM,
(01-22-2012, 08:10 AM)Foul. Wrote: Take the unit out of bridge ops, ferry your units over and then put the engineer unit back to bridge ops, the downside is that you are restarting the pontoon building exercise each time you do this (assuming you are trying to cross the full hex river), if possible i like to have two engineer units in a crossing hex, one to build the bridge and one to ferry troops.

It should be noted that the rules for ferrying and bridge building across a hexside river and a full hex river have important differences. ;)

So the longer a Bridge E unit is involved in bridging, the better chance of success? What % per turn, any idea? jonnyCrazy
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM,
For a full hex river, assuming that is the crossing in question, the engineer must first spend a specific amount of time, set in the pdt. Let's say 10 turns, I think it might be that for Korsun. Then after the 10 turns, a check is made each turn based on the normal percentage odds, again set in the PDT, as with bridging a hexside river. Quality and size adjust this percentage chance, I believe. All in the manual for full details, jonny.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-22-2012, 08:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
Yes, so in the case of a hexside river taking the engineer units out of bridge ops may not cause any delay in building a bridge (based on a % chance), however in the case of a full hex river pontoon bridge if your unit has been building it for 8 moves and you removed the bridge ops (to ferry units) the pontoon building count goes back to 0. :rolleyes2:

So it is OK to ferry units on the first move, but as soon as you start building the pontoon bridge you need to use another engineer unit to do the ferrying, of course it is always possible you don't have two units and in that case you will have to make a choice. ;)
01-23-2012, 03:02 AM,
Gentelmen, thank You for the prompt and exaustive support and all the assistance You provided.

I think I can understand perfectly now how that thing works; I wrongly came to the conclusion that boats work in exactly the same way as a pontoon bridge for instance - that it requires to set up a crossing network which counts as a bridging operation - which is not as it seems.

So I am assuming that if I happen to have a few units which status is an engineering unit, but only acting as a mine clearing one, yet they have boats, it means they still can ferry other units in their boats, but they do not have the equipment and ability to set up a bridge,right?

Is is also correct to assume that in order to have them employing their boats as a means transport for other units crossing, I am to place them on the bank in a deployed mode?
01-23-2012, 03:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2012, 03:51 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
(01-23-2012, 03:02 AM)burroughs Wrote: So I am assuming that if I happen to have a few units which status is an engineering unit, but only acting as a mine clearing one, yet they have boats, it means they still can ferry other units in their boats, but they do not have the equipment and ability to set up a bridge,right?

An engineer unit w. boats might still be able to build a bridge provided it is capable of doing so (it will say so when you rightclick on the units information box). But it cannot do this at the same time it is ferrying infantry using the boats.

Quote:Is is also correct to assume that in order to have them employing their boats as a means transport for other units crossing, I am to place them on the bank in a deployed mode?

Basically yes. The engineer really only has to be in the same place during the ferrying and not do anything else (I think it can Dig In though). It doesn´t have to do anything. The unit being ferried is the only one active.
Send this user an email