• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Arctic Front: Across River Vuoksi (2 x 2 Team Game)
01-15-2012, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013, 05:08 AM by Crossroads.)
a_Arrow  Arctic Front: Across River Vuoksi (2 x 2 Team Game)
EDIT 10 November 2012: Now available in the Blitz Scenario Database: https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Camp...5&ladder=2

Also included in the East Front: Forgotten Battles v1.3 download archive.

--

[Image: veneylitys.jpg]
Picture: Finns crossing a river at Karelian Isthmus. Whereabouts unknown.

Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2012, 05:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 04:38 AM by Crossroads.)
** Across River Vuoksi LWM
[Image: Pak40.jpg]
Picture: A PaK40 being manhauled into a new firing position at Vuosalmi.

[Image: jtcsscenarioplan.jpg]
Karelian Isthmus
**Across River Vuoksi is marked as (5)
** Bitter Kuuterselkä is marked as (1)
**Fury at Viborg Bay 3x3 team game fronts marked with (2) (3) and (4)

**Across River Vuoksi LWM 1.2

Complexity: 9
Turns: 18
Modified complexity: 9 * 18 = 162
Size modifier: 4

First side Allied

Visibility 7

Allied Air 6; Ammo 80; Smoke 35
Axis Air 10; Ammo 80; Smoke 10
AI Allied 85; Axis 35

Major Loss 600; Minor Loss 900; Minor Win 1200; Major Win 1500

---

[Karelian Isthmus, 80 km North from Leningrad, Finland.] [H2H] [HIS] [GD] [ALL : N VV : AF OPT]

Marshal Govoror, Commander of Red Army's Leningrad Front, was running out of time and patience. Despite some early success, his Vyborg Offensive in Karelian Isthmus is now in danger of grounding to a halt. After just four days into offensive, on June 14 1944, his 21st Army had decisively broken through the main Finnish defensive line at Kuuterselkä (See: ** Bitter Kuuterselka LWM 1.x). They advanced rapidly and took the major city of Vyborg by June 20. The offensive was proceeding exactly as planned.

However, the Finns were now fast recovering from the initial shock, and the hard battles during the next two weeks had denied him the ability to continue towards Southern Finland. Instead, by beginning of July, the 21st Army was forced to deploy into defensive positions due to heavy losses. Simultaneously, the 59th Army was denied their ambitious landing into Finnish mainland over Vyborg Bay, forcing them to discontinue their advance as well.

As his last gambit, he ordered the available 23rd Army to break the Finnish defense around the towns of Äyräpää and Vuosalmi, an area that both sides knew intimately from their fierce battles there during the Winter War of 1939-40. To be able to do that, they would need to negotiate the obstacle that was the grand river of Vuoksi.

On July 4, the 98th Army Corps were ordered to first secure the vital high ground south of the river, and then to force an initial bridgehead over the river Vuoksi. The 115th Army Corps would then join in and swing West towards the Finnish Gulf, creating a huge pocket from the remaining Finnish forces in the area.

Elements of the Finnish 2nd Division knew the situation well. Given the commanding view which the southern heights provided, a retreat to the relative safety of the northern shore was absolutely out of the question. Vuosalmi needs to hold on long enough for the reinforcements to arrive! Participating in the battle were also the Stukas and FW-190s of the German Detachment Kuhlmey, and elements of the understrength 303rd Sturmgeschutz Bde.

(Players note: The four heavy bridges in this scenario represent first Finnish then Soviet pontoon bridges built in the area. Access to these pontoons can be blocked by using a successful Damage Wall or Bridge command on the medium bridges located at the southern end of each pontoon bridge. Access can be restored to the pontoons from these same hexes through successful Build Lt Hexside Bridge or Lay Vehicle Bridge commands)

[Requires players to install Lapland War Mod version 1.2 or newer]
[Can be played as 2x2 team game]

About the battle map: Extra effort put into the map again. I have access to fully digitalised 1:20 000 and 1:100 000 maps from 1938 of the area. Used those together with Google Earth to have a very authentic end result. Had lots of fun with mapping again Helmet Smile

Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-15-2012, 05:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 07:47 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: New Scenario: ** Across River Vuoksi LWM
Steel helmets used by the Finnish army are well presented in the following pictures. Most of "German" helmets were Austria/Hungarian M16 helmets surplus of WWI and bought in 1920s, while Hungarian made M38 helmets received as aid during Winter War, and actual M35 helmets bought from Germany in 1944 were common as well.

The fourth helmet model seen in pictures is the at the time very modern Czheckoslovakian M34 helmet, bought during and after Winter War. Pictures inside the Spoiler:

Spoiler Expand
[Image: VuosalmiFaust.jpg]
A soldier with Panzerfaust at Vuosalmi, in what looks like a staged photosession.
[Image: vuosalmi_jalkav_ke_.jpg]
Soldiers observing something or other, Vuosalmi. Czheck M34 helmets.
[Image: Vuosalmi_44.jpg]
A sniper in action at Vuosalmi
[Image: Finns_Panzerschreck_BattleOfVuosalmi_Kar...ly1944.jpg]
A typical three-man Panzerschreck crew in action at Vuosalmi: Schreck operator, loader/observer, and the close support soldier with a Suomi M/31 SMG
Visit us at CSLegion.com
06-09-2012, 04:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012, 04:08 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: New Scenario: ** Across River Vuoksi LWM 1.1
[CONTENT NOW OBSOLETE & REMOVED]

Pic of the day:
[Image: b4-1]
Estonian volunteers of IR 200 (Estonian Volunteers Rgt) at Vuosalmi, posing with a destroyed T-35/85
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-11-2012, 06:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM by Crossroads.)
As we are nearing the completion of Round 1 of our tournament, I would like to ask for your feedback Salute

** Across the River Vuoksi LWM 1.2

Scenario
Objective: Balanced and fun recreation for JTCS for battle of Vuosalmi July 4. - 15. 1944, representing the first phase of the battle (as of pic 1 below, and forward), with scenario ending just before Red Army switched the 98th AC for the 115th AC and before the Finnish counter attack against the bridgehead the 115th created (pic 2 below).

[Image: Vuosal9.jpg]
4.-5. July 1944

[Image: Vuosal11.jpg]
9. July 1944

Map
Objective: historical, accurate map.

Contemporary maps from late 1930's are actually available digitally here: http://www.karjalankartat.fi/ Just switch to English and type Vuosalmi into search box, and double-click the "Vuosalmi, Äyräpää" result. Three different map sets available. Nice!

- I prefer to have a delta of 10 meters to have maps a varied terrain, but the steep heights in southern shores sort of forced the 20 meter delta. It turned out quite OK though?

- Pontoon bridges with rivers at end added for a chance for both sides to have means to cross rivers. Are there too many of them, would three be enough? I sort of like the fact there are four of them, as things become much more hard to predict for gaming purposes. Three bridges would make the life of Axis a bit easier I assume
- Shallow water hexes added for beaching and also for crossing some straights. Would you like to see more of them? Where?
- Your comments?

OOB
Objective: Historical oobs, with some elements of Finnish Armoured Division arriving a bit too early for balancing reasons.

- Some transports still have too many units, e.g. most Wagons, some trucks.
- Soviet T-34/85s left out and replaced with T-34/43s, in order to give Axis assault guns some freedom to operate. The southern shore heights have such a commanding view...
- What would you like to have changed?

Objectives
Objective: Large enough objectives to encourage direct action and to make them important despite of largeish scenario size. Placed on what I considered important locations, and also accurate to reflect the actual battle results as far as Red Army managed to extend their bridgehead at the time

- I am considering moving the Vuosalmi 500VP location on hex Northeast, to hide its LOS from southern shores. Would make it a tad easier for Axis player to defend it.
- Comments?

Length
Objective: Short enough to force Allied player to come out in force, long enough for Axis player to be punished hard for any reckless actions. Given the difference in size of the respective forcepools, it is important to get this spot on.

- In my test games it was only 16 turns, but that was perhaps a bit too short. 18 turns feels like an eternity from Axis point of view, though Helmet Smile
- Your comments?

Balance

- What would you like to see changed?

Fun

- What was fun? What was not?

Scenario description

- Did it set the scene properly? Did it give both sides enough information for orientation towards stragety etc?

H2H Score

On scale of 0-10, how would you rate the scenario, using H2H criteria:

- Balance
- Enjoyment
- Briefings

A scenario is scored in three categories, Balance, Enjoyment and Briefings. The score a scenario achieves is an average of these three scores using this formula

(balance*1.6)+(enjoyment*1.2)+(briefings*0.2)/3

From the above formula the 'Balance' score is by far the most important and you should take into account your own performance when making your judgement of this.

'Enjoyment' is self explanatory and 'Briefings' is the least important score. If the Briefing was full and informative you should always score it highly (8 or greater).

Other comments

- Feel free to add any observations for the good, bad and outright ugly of this scenario!

Ta! Salute
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-23-2012, 05:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM by Ashcloud.)
Feedback for ** Across the River Vuoksi LWM 1.2:

Map:
I thought the map was very good, multiple choices for advance and defense. I enjoyed the rush for the bridges and felt there were just the right amount of crossing options available from both points of view.

OOB:
I felt the OOB was perfect and would not change a thing.

Objectives:
All well placed and reachable, I like the idea of moving the Vuosalmi 500VP hex out of LOS from the opposing shore.

Length:
Would not change it.

Balance:
I felt that it was very balanced - got my behind handed to me on a plate in both games from either side.

Fun:
I enjoyed it very much.

Description:
Perfect

H2H:
- Balance 10
- Enjoyment 10
- Briefings 10

Comments:
A very well designed scenario that perfectly represents the objectives it aspired to achieve. I highly recommend the mod and this scenario - great fun.
Send this user an email
08-23-2012, 10:09 PM,
Feedback for ** Across the River Vuoksi LWM 1.2:
Map
The map Overall I thought was great, well designed and believable.

Pontoon bridges I would stick with 4 it gives more options for both sides.

Shallow water hexes I don't think you should add any more there are plenty as it I would even suggest cutting out a couple as at the moment the amphibious forces have too much choice.

OOB
Good mix of units for both sides having the axis reinforcement come in earlier than history is a good move they can if lucky now arrive in the nick of time.

Having some spare capacity in trucks and wagons is no big deal it's not as if they will leave wrecks.

Not sure if there are too many amphibious options or as many Russian bridging engineers are called for.

Objectives
Well thought out and placed, I liked the over looking of the vuosalmi hex and being able to rain down death from above I vote for keeping the elevations and VH’s were they are.

Length
I think length is right for both sides, no need to change any further.

Balance
Not much needs changing both sides have a chance depending on opponents moves and flow of the game. A good plan and catching your opponent off guard will win; its also essential to know how bridging, engineers and amphibious units work in the game to not be caught out.

Fun
A lot of fun thanks…looking forwards to the next one.

Scenario description
Excellent set the battle well into historical perspective and left both sides in no doubt what was expected.

H2H Score

8 - Balance
9 - Enjoyment
9 - Briefings

You could easily get this one through H2H testing.

Comments
Nice profession mod, that adds a great deal to the stock game, the scn was well designed and executed a pleasure to play. Thumbs Up
08-26-2012, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 07:52 AM by Death~Dealer.)
Map:
Excellent map- the way the bridges were set up to be blown was a great idea. I also thought the island areas on the NW and SE part of the map created an interesting option for the Soviet player to consider to cross the river. Additionally, the wooded hills on the south side of the river create enough cover for the Finns to move around and operate without becoming annihilated immediately by the Red Tide. Map needs no changes.

Objectives:
No change needed here either. The game is set up where the Soviet player has to cross the river and secure at least a town to have a chance at winning...and that's the way it ought to be. If the Soviet player could secure a victory without crossing the river, then surely the theme of the scenario would be worthless- but that is not the case here.

Length:
No change needed. However, if you wanted to add more turns to the game (to allow the Finnish player time to adjust the defense line/dig improved positions in selected locations), then the Soviets would have to arrive on the board slightly delayed. But this too is not needed.

Objective:
The Soviets preferred to get across rivers, form a defensive bridgehead and then consolidate/muster strong forces for the next push. The plan in this battle represents that by design- Soviets cannot win unless they take enough real estate (VLs) on the far side of the river.

Balance:
Well balanced! This was very fun and challenging.

Scenario description:
Very good background information and storyline about the battle situation. Would have liked to see a mention of the pontoon bridges and maybe a short comment about 'blowing them' and what they represent on the map. Just something short enough to alert the players to the way the scenario is designed and that access to these bridges could be 'cut off' (took me a few turns to realize that these large bridges could be disabled by blowing the small vehicular bridges at the southern end).

H2H Score:
Balance 10
Enjoyment 10
Briefings 8

Outstanding design Petri!

11-11-2012, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM by Crossroads.)
OK, I will chip in my ratings as well, in order to upload the scenario to database with four testers with their opinions out.

Once Huib and Rick (Wolfman) are done I will ask for theirs as well.

H2H Score:

Balance 8 Seems to be fairly balanced, with Two Axis Major wins, one Allied Minor win, and one Allied Major win.
Enjoyment 9 Sure enjoyed it! I was quite happy how the historical battle played out with EF
Briefings 8 Hopefully there's now enough information available to have the players able to figure this one out.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-22-2014, 07:48 PM,
RE: Arctic Front: Across River Vuoksi (2 x 2 Team Game)
bump...