• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Quick Pic of my RV mod
01-13-2012, 12:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012, 01:11 AM by Wodin.)
Quick Pic of my RV mod
[img][Image: 12688045.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I still have about 70 faces to tidy up around the edges. It will be released in a mod package that i think works together. I will be using new counters the same size as the Iron X ones. The package will be a mix of other mods some of which are tweaked or combined, all credits will be given.

After this I shall do AotR and if there is a want for other games I will do them aswell.

I have had to use three images twice, I was at a loss to who the winter units where as they seem to be used buy the SS and I have a feeling other Axis units in the winter, I hope it's only Axis units anyway otherwise I'd have to redo them or just leave the originals, funny enough it was hard to find enough image sin winter clothing, hence using the same two twice. Also I used a Russian soldier image twice once for the Russian units and once for the partisans, I just took his backpack off for the partisan image.

If some aren't exactly correct i.e there is a soldier in a tankers helmet etc then please use your imagination and pretend he is being used as an infantry man as his tank was disabled etc. Or if it appears they insignia are wrong or the uniform not correct for the particular unit then again I apologise. I collected hundreds of images and used the best ones I could.

The cossacks have had some issues during the modding process one lost his hat and another his face and beard and need fixing as you can see, I haven't found enough images to replace them but I shall have another look.

Both info and counter will have these images.

I only posted it so you get an impression on what I'm doing. I hope they are a slight improvement on the originals and if they are then the god knows how many hours I've spent so far have been worth it. I always wanted to do this mod for years now after seeing Bill's and Oz's AotR mod and using it. I found the art gave a personality to each unit in my imagination which I loved, one of my favourites in this mod is the German Home Defence man with the eye patch and metal teeth, looks a proper villain. I thought it would be a straight forward case of getting the images then reducing them for the counter sheet and most of the work would be finding the images. How wrong I was, I've had to go around every face and trim off the excess making sure I don't take to much away nor leave to much behind. After countless hours and still with about 70 faces left I now know all the ones I've finished in intimate detail!

Finally I ask you all not to use this image in game yet. It hasn't been finished for starters and certain things like the counter size needs to be increased and then changes made to the 2dSymbol bmp. Some faces may still change, especially the smaller ones I may make them a touch bigger or find another image to replace them two in particular I'm not 100% happy with a Russian in winter clothing and fur hat and a German further down in fur cap, both see a touch to small and though none are really in scale with each other and some are just as small those two seem to stand out, funny enough both a Dragon action figures! Maybe I'm to fussy, I've already changed about 8 faces so far.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2012, 06:06 AM,
RE: Quick Pic of my RV mod
Looking good! I like the portrait type graphics adds a bit of character to the game.
01-13-2012, 06:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012, 06:16 AM by Wodin.)
(01-13-2012, 06:06 AM)Ivan Wrote: Looking good! I like the portrait type graphics adds a bit of character to the game.

Thanks Ivan. I love them too, as I said an old AotR mod by Bill Brockmann and Oz inspired me (they made one for ES aswell and possibly Korea). I imagine that the face is the leader of the particular squad, adds personality and affiliation rather than just another generic counter. I know some prefer the iron X mod counters similar in style to your typical boardgame but again I find them lacking in character as you say and look to generic. I have used some images that where the obvious inpiration for the original game face. Check the German Home defence and you will recognise them and the Finn with the skull painted on his helmet. There are a few faces that match up to the original game, seems the counter artist browses the Osprey men at Arms titles for inspiration.

AotR aleady has a good 2D vehicle mod but RV is in desperate need of one..I shall make one using images from this website...

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Ve...-Armor.htm
Send this user an email
01-13-2012, 08:35 AM,
Wodin,

Looking awesome! Man you are a fast worker! Do you ever sleep?
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-13-2012, 07:57 PM,
(01-13-2012, 08:35 AM)Richie61 Wrote: Wodin,

Looking awesome! Man you are a fast worker! Do you ever sleep?

Thanks Richie61,

Well I had a break from it yesterday and hope to get the faces finished by Sunday, it's then a case of editing some other mods to finally release it in a package. I'm not sure whether to release it then or hold it until I've done the vehicle mod, which would mean a fairly big delay.

Either way once thats done it's a quick redo of the AotR ones in a similar package and if there is a demand for another SB game to be done I will work on it. I will then be happy with my SB modding and have finally done what I've wanted to do for years now. I shall then go back to Tigers Unleashed and totally redo the map graphics, my last mod was just an enhancement and I'd like to be more ambitious.

After all that it's time I started to learn how to programme and get around to making my dream game.
Send this user an email
01-14-2012, 03:35 AM,
Nice unit pics, Wodin!
01-14-2012, 04:02 AM,
(01-14-2012, 03:35 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Nice unit pics, Wodin!

Thanks mate,

Just tidied another 15 faces! The AotR will be alot quicker as I have many of them here already. Just need to do the Italians, I already have their faces ready.

I will release the mod package for RV without the vehicle mod which will follow on at some point. It should be ready early next week with the AotR package coming in close behind it.
Send this user an email
01-15-2012, 09:42 AM,
All faces now finished. Just a case of getting a package together and doing some tweaks..hopefully it will be online for download next week.
Send this user an email
01-15-2012, 12:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2012, 12:53 PM by Richie61.)
Stop the teasing :funny:

I can wait to get theseBig Grin
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-15-2012, 01:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM by Wodin.)
AAaaarrrggghhh!!

Rescaling the bmp for the counters (2DUnits100) ended up leaving many slightly transparent pixels resulting in lots of pink lines around the faces!!

I've managed to reduce them but not totally, I suppose whats left are hardly noticable and if I had used a black background colour wouldn't be noticed at all.

OK tomorrow I shall try using a black background and then rescale and then reduce transparent textures but the thing is it could all end up a mess due to things like beards and cossacks hats being black thus melting into the background. I will try though, if it doesn't work I shall tidy up as much as possible. I then have to change something on the symbol set so the bars fit nicely along the bigger size counters.

The symbol set will be a mixture of two previous mods so will the map colours and the terrain bmp. All wrapped up in one package which does look good so far.

I can't see it taking any longer than a day or two. I shall then forward it to task Force Echo and I will put it up if I can temp until it gets on the website.

The it's onto the AoTR units which shouldn't take aslong as there all done anyway with the RV mod except the Italians).

Then it will be a vehicle mod for RV as the one Bill and OZ did for AotR (the Hi res 2D vehicle mod) is good enough and I'm touching up the counter version of that mod daVillian and myself made a few years ago.

It is important that you use the counters I'm putting in the package otherwise you will find the faces overlap the original smaller ones.
Send this user an email