• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wargamer Review of RCW
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM,
Wargamer Review of RCW
http://www.wargamer.com/article/3136/pc-...civil-wars

A pretty acerbic review, but well considered.

Tim
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 05:35 PM,
RE: Wargamer Review of RCW
(01-12-2012, 10:09 AM)TJD Wrote: http://www.wargamer.com/article/3136/pc-...civil-wars

Tim

Yeah, sadly for me I couldn't get beyond the interface and graphics, nor could I ever quite figure out what to do; and I've been wargaming for 45 years. I did like the sound of the elephants tho. Jester
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM,
(01-12-2012, 10:09 AM)TJD Wrote: http://www.wargamer.com/article/3136/pc-...civil-wars

Tim

I'm sure they reviewed their product much more favourably. . . you know the one, -the one with the modular marketting angle -and what I mean by favourably- no goofy comments about Crete ( note to those historical purists... out of context.... unless of course all men wearing skirts and carrying swords are the same to some folks ;) ).

On a more serious note, something struck me as odd about that review; some of the writing seemed much more well considered than other parts -even within the same segment. It almost didn't seem as if some paragraphs were written by the same author.

In the interests of transparency- interestingly one that they didn't feel like disclosing at Wargamer.com - is that Wargamer.com is owned by the publisher of a directly competing product.

___

Otoh, for all of you prospective independent game reviewers ( iow bloggers), they haven't set the writing bar all that high. :)

___

I'm going to eventually try my hand at a 2D mod for AW (I want to learn Illustrator CS5 to see what I can do) -but my idea is to leave the 3D alone -it is supposed to look like what the series is based off of (a set of minatures rules), whereby the 2D I wonder if it can be made to look more like a tabletop boardgame map -and maybe counters as well.

Bydand
Send this user an email
01-14-2012, 09:44 AM,
(01-13-2012, 04:21 PM)trauth116 Wrote:

Tim

I'm sure they reviewed their product much more favourably. . . you know the one, -the one with the modular marketting angle -and what I mean by favourably- no goofy comments about Crete ( note to those historical purists... out of context.... unless of course all men wearing skirts and carrying swords are the same to some folks ;) ).

On a more serious note, something struck me as odd about that review; some of the writing seemed much more well considered than other parts -even within the same segment. It almost didn't seem as if some paragraphs were written by the same author.

In the interests of transparency- interestingly one that they didn't feel like disclosing at Wargamer.com - is that Wargamer.com is owned by the publisher of a directly competing product.

___

Otoh, for all of you prospective independent game reviewers ( iow bloggers), they haven't set the writing bar all that high. :)

___

I'm going to eventually try my hand at a 2D mod for AW (I want to learn Illustrator CS5 to see what I can do) -but my idea is to leave the 3D alone -it is supposed to look like what the series is based off of (a set of minatures rules), whereby the 2D I wonder if it can be made to look more like a tabletop boardgame map -and maybe counters as well.

I believe a variation on the 2D graphics would be of interest to the those with the game. If you need any help in clarifying which graphic file does what just drop me a line here. :)