• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
01-10-2012, 07:40 AM,
Off Topic  The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
Gents: :smoke2:

I recently re-read "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer...

... and wrote a review of this memorable WW2 account of the German foot soldier on the Eastern Front HERE.

A “must read” for all persons interested in World War II biographical novels.

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 07:51 AM,
RE: The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
I agree, i am aware that there is some doubt if the author actually witnessed the events as described in the book, but despite that it is a hell of a read, i could not put it down. :)
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM,
Thanks I will look out for it, on a side note I recently saw this film that had passed me by before and found it very compelling and powerful.

well worth watching. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/ "come and see"
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM,
Gents: Smoke7

Wikipedia references a film adaption of the book is under development:

"A movie adaptation of The Forgotten Soldier, written by Michael Frost Beckner and Joel Kassay is currently in development. Paul Verhoeven was previously attached to direct the film."
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-11-2012, 01:48 AM,
I have that book on the shelf for years already, but haven't read it yet, mainly because I read that some of it was made up and never happened. Perhaps I should read it anyway?

I can also highly recommend a book called "In deadly combat" by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann. It's about a German soldier in a PaK unit on the Eastern front. Interesting how much they could do with the "door knocker" and with the later heavier guns.

Huib
01-11-2012, 04:14 AM,
Yes, that book has generally been totally discredited.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
01-11-2012, 04:34 AM,
I am pretty sure I have read Forgotten Soldier some years and years ago. Fiction or fact, who knows, but a damn fine book for sure. If he was not there he certainly got his stories from landsers who were.

A recommended read for sure.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-11-2012, 04:43 AM,
(01-11-2012, 04:14 AM)Larry Reese Wrote: Yes, that book has generally been totally discredited.

LR

Others have different views and opinions? Idea2

Hans Wegener, a non commissioned officer (39th Infantry Division), who fought in Russia from 1941 to 1943, stated the following:

"I read Sajer's book in the early '70s...[it] depicted deeds and events ...corresponding even with the minute tactical and great strategic events of the period described in the book. The language is of overpowering simplicity yet extremely smooth and impressive. The train of thought and reflections correspond to those of a young soldier who is tossed into the maelstrom of the hard suffering and hopeless retreat battles of the Eastern Front. I can verify that the Landsers thought this way, acted this way, and suffered and died in the pitiless retreat actions on the gigantic expanses of Russia which in itself gave you a feeling of loneliness and loss if faced ... as an individual human being. Even small inconsistencies cannot change my belief because the overall impact of the manuscript, the inherent balance and truthfulness are for me the determining criteria [as to its authenticity]. I am quite sure that Guy Sajer did not tell a fictitious story. I look at this book as a tremendous monument for the great and singular achievements of the German soldier during a hopeless situation."

I wrote my review of "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer not to get into a spitting contest on the authenticity of this narrative... but to share some of my emotions and thoughts on Sajer's powerful, and gripping narrative of combat on the Eastern Front in World War 2.... as experienced by the common German foot soldier.

Fact or fiction? It does nothing to diminish the words that evoke powerful and lasting images for the reader - especially this one!

I encourage all to read it for themselves... and make up your own minds on this narrative written by Guy Sajer.

Send this user an email
01-11-2012, 07:30 AM,
It is an excellent read and that was all that mattered to me. :)
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM,
LOL, I'm not telling you not to read it, or enjoy it. I'm saying I have a problem with people lying about things they never did or experienced. If you want to publish fiction, label it as such.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.