• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

OOB needed for 7th Armored Division
12-27-2011, 12:53 PM,
OOB needed for 7th Armored Division
I am looking for the composition of CCA, CCB, & CCR of the 7th Armored Division in December 1944. Any ideas? Here's the battalion breakdown of the division as I have it:
17th, 31st, 40th tank battalions
23rd, 38th, 48th armored infantry battalions
33rd armored engineer battalion
814th, 820th TD battalions
434th, 440th, 489th field artillery battalions
87th cavalry recon squadron
203rd AAA battalion

Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2011, 01:08 PM,
RE: OOB needed for 7th Armored Division
820th TD Bn attached 25 Dec.-30 Dec. 1944. What exactly are you looking for? I have the US Army order of battle, you have that? I can give you more tomorrow, gotta go to bed right now!!

Mike
12-27-2011, 04:44 PM,
I have Order Of Battle US Army World War II by Shelby Stanton. And the US Army Green Book for the Ardennes. But if the 7th Armored was broken into CCA, CCB, and CCR, which battalions/regiments from the division were in each combat command?
12-27-2011, 10:03 PM,
(12-27-2011, 04:44 PM)Armored Inferno Wrote: I have Order Of Battle US Army World War II by Shelby Stanton. And the US Army Green Book for the Ardennes. But if the 7th Armored was broken into CCA, CCB, and CCR, which battalions/regiments from the division were in each combat command?

The combat command was a flexible organization that did not have dedicated battalions. Instead, tank, armored infantry, and armored field artillery battalions, as well as smaller units of tank destroyers, engineers, and mechanized cavalry were assigned as needed in order to accomplish any given mission.

While flexible, this task-force organization lacked the high cohesion characteristic of traditional regiments that always kept the same group of battalions together. The organization of the combat command contrasted with that of the infantry, who employed reinforced infantry regiments with permanently assigned infantry battalions. This type of infantry organization was called a Regimental combat team.

Use of combat commands was first specified in Armored Force Tentative Table of Organization A, for armored divisions, dated December 22, 1941. The initial organization envisioned two combat command headquarters at the disposal of the armored division. The combat command headquarters themselves were small, fielding only five light tanks and 56 men. Revisions to this structure in 1943 resulted in a headquarters of 3 light tanks and 99 men. The 1943 structure also allowed for three combat command headquarters in an armored division.
Within the armored division, the combat commands were named "A", "B", and later, "R" (for Reserve).Thus, historical accounts of U.S. armored divisions of this period refer to "Combat Command B" or "CCB" and so forth. During the latter stages of World War II in Europe, armored divisions tended to fight with CCA and CCB, while moving worn-out battalions into CCR for rest and refit.

I found a doc, which will kind of show you how diverse this could get from battle to battle. To nail it down, as it were, I would recommend searching for a specific battle (Bulge), and even then, for certain special assignment it could get even more diverse! The above was from Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth. I have a lot of US unit histories, unfortunately 7th was not one of them!

Hope you find this helpful!?

Mike

Attached Files
.doc   N-7AD-CCB-AAR.doc (Size: 254 KB / Downloads: 9)
12-27-2011, 11:00 PM,
All the AARs used to be on http://www.7tharmddiv.org Unfortunately I can't find them anymore. Some years ago this was the site where I got the composition of the various Combat Commands of the 7th Armored during their stay in Holland in october 1944.
12-28-2011, 02:20 AM,
Interesting - that document that Mike attached shows the actual composition of CCB. And all of its changes in '44. That might give me at least a decent base for the OOB. I saw the same type of doc on Google for CCA but didn't dig deep enough to find the unit lisings. I'll have to look more closely. Thanks Mike & Huib for you inputs. I'll see what I can find.
12-28-2011, 02:38 AM,
(12-28-2011, 02:20 AM)Armored Inferno Wrote: Interesting - that document that Mike attached shows the actual composition of CCB. And all of its changes in '44. That might give me at least a decent base for the OOB. I saw the same type of doc on Google for CCA but didn't dig deep enough to find the unit lisings. I'll have to look more closely. Thanks Mike & Huib for you inputs. I'll see what I can find.

Perhaps if you dig thoroughly through that site. I also just found an AAR for the 17th Tank Bn. http://www.7tharmddiv.org/17tank.htm. Maybe that way by looking at the invidual units you can piece together the OOB composition.
It's a pity I did not download all AARs in 2005. I only downloaded those from September/october 1944. I still have these by the way if you want them.

Huib
12-28-2011, 02:39 AM,
RE: OOB needed for 7th Armored Division - FOUND THE DOCS
Okay, check this out. You can go to a document repository on the site that Huib mentioned:
http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/

There is a shortcut to hack the URL to get the year/month of AAR that you want too. Check this:
http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/N-7AD-AAR-44-12.doc

The above link will download the AAR doc for Dec 1944. If you wanted October '44, you'd change it to be this:
http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/N-7AD-AAR-44-10.doc

In the december doc above, it actually gives details such as this (sorry, too much work to separate each line of each column!)

CCA CCB DIV. TROOPS
48th Arm'd Inf. Bn. 23rd Arm'd Inf. Bn. 203 AAA Bn.(-)
A/33rd Arm'd Engr. Bn. 31st Tk. Bn. 814 TD BN, (-)
D/87th Cav Rcn.Sq. B/33rd Arm'd Inf. Bn. 33rd Arm'd Engr. Bn. (-)
B/87th Cav.Rcn.Sq. 87th Cav.Rcn.Sq.
D/203rd AAA Bn.
C/814th TD Bn.
1/B/814 TD Bn.
1/Rcn/814 TD Bn.

CCR
38th Arm'd Inf.Bn. DIV. TRAINS
40th Tk "B" 129th Ord. Maint. Bn.(-)
C/33rd Arm'd Engr. Bn. 77th Med.Bn.Arm'd. (-)
Ord. Det. 446 QM Tr. Co. (-)
Med. Det. 3967 QM Tr.Tn. Co. (-)
B/203 AAA Bn.

Division Artillery was under XIII Corps control. It consisted of:
434th Arm'd F.A. Bn.
440th Arm'd F.A. Bn.
489th Arm'd F.A. Bn.
A and C/203 AAA. Bn.
12-28-2011, 03:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011, 03:16 AM by Huib Versloot.)
RE: OOB needed for 7th Armored Division - FOUND THE DOCS
Yes that's it. I couldn't find that specific link to all the documents anymore but that is the one I also used 6 years ago (time flies).
That is about all the detail you need I think, unless corrected by other sources on a specific engagement.

Huib
12-28-2011, 06:26 AM,
Here is CCB AAR by BG Clark.

1800 hours 16 December word was received that the 7th Armored Division would prepare for movement immediately to the VIII Corps, 1st Army, vicinity Bastogne. General Bruce Clarke and Captain Woodruff (S-3) left immediately for VIII Corps Headquarters in Bastogne, Belgium.

For this move Combat Command "B" consisted of the 31st Tank Battalion, 23rd Armored Infantry Battalion and "B" Company, 33rd Armored Engineer Battalion.

From the text you can discern the changing layout during the battle of St Vith.

www.battleofthebulgememories.be/fr/stories/us-army/494-after-action-report-hq-ccb-7th-armored-division.html