• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Christmas present to myself, maybe
12-25-2011, 02:25 AM,
Christmas present to myself, maybe
Hello Squad Battle Folks,

I'm thinking about treating myself to a Christmas present with a purchase of Squad Battles.

But I'm not sure if the modules are stand alone or do I need to purchase the first module for the others to work?

Second question is the game VISTA supported?

Looking for any suggestions and Merry Christmas to all!

Ivan the Big:smoke:
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2011, 02:37 AM,
RE: Christmas present to myself, maybe
Ivan,

You can find HPS Vista Info here: http://www.hpssims.com/vistahelp.htm
12-25-2011, 07:51 AM,
(12-25-2011, 02:25 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Hello Squad Battle Folks,

I'm thinking about treating myself to a Christmas present with a purchase of Squad Battles.

But I'm not sure if the modules are stand alone or do I need to purchase the first module for the others to work?

Second question is the game VISTA supported?

Looking for any suggestions and Merry Christmas to all!

All of the official SB titles are stand alone-pick or chose as you wish. cheerssome of the indie MODS require a specfic game. Africa at War and Arab Israeli MODs.

12-25-2011, 09:39 AM,
Red Victory is by far the most popular title at the moment, so you'll find lots of opponents to play against. Eagle's Strike, Advance of the Reich and the Vietnam and WW2 Pacific titles are favourites too. They are all good, just pick the theatre or war you're interested in. :)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

12-25-2011, 11:52 PM,
KW (The Korean War) shouldn't overlooked. Out-of-the-box you get 70+ scenarios so it'll keep you busy for a while...
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-26-2011, 07:43 AM,
I have Vista and no probs (other that with Vista itself which is a pain in the you know what).

RV would be a good start off. Excellent title with a real mix. Then there are a whole range of superb titles to dip into.
12-26-2011, 10:53 AM,
Thank you all for the kind and informative remarks!

Sounds like it is Vista compatable and each module for the most part is stand alone. I've always been partial to the Eastern Front in WWII but KW holds interest since there is little done on that war.

Now comes the tough part, making the decision on which one I want to get...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

02-12-2012, 12:43 AM,
Although Christmas is past I am also thinking of buying a SB title.

The Spanish Civil War/Korea/Dien Bien Phu/Pacific looks to be the most interesting - but are there still people playing these or should I rather consider Red Victory as it seems to be the most popular?

I am running Windows 7, any issues with running SB under it?

Is the AI any good, in other words will I get a lot of single player games out of whichever game I buy?
02-12-2012, 12:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 12:54 AM by Compass Rose.)
Will this be your 1st SB title?

From your list I would highly recommend Korea, Pacific War, and RV as they are all very good games.

RV is arguably the best well-put together SB game currently available.
PW (Pacific War) will give you a totally new experience in fighting with caves and island warfare.
KW (Korean War) is also a good game that still uses alot of WWII weapons.

I don't play against the AI, so I'll save that part of your question for someone who does.

Whether you pick RV, PW, or KW, you will be picking a good title and will have alot of good PBEM battles ahead of you.
02-12-2012, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 02:12 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
Don't dismiss DBP. It was the same time frame as Korea. Me and my "Ancient" opponant Vendetta, are having just as much or more fun with the Korea, SAW, DBP, VN and ToD titles as we are the ww2 titles. Eventually, I plan on getting Modern War and Falklands titles as well. By that time, there will be more titles out to choose from, so it's plenty enough to drive you crazy if you don't have the money to quickly acquire all the titles you want.