• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wrecks on a bridge
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM,
Wrecks on a bridge
I am playing 0.64 Mniszek in the Ostfront tourney.

I am the Russians, and one of my tanks became a steaming wreck at the entrance to the bridge hex on the Russian entry side. Now, when I try to move another tank onto the bridge in that hex it says "bridge movement not possible".

Does a wreck on a bridge block bridge movement? If so, is there any way to remove the wreck? Otherwise my tanks are stuck across the river, almost useless in this scenario.

Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2011, 11:51 PM,
RE: Wrecks on a bridge
(12-08-2011, 11:27 AM)FroBodine Wrote: I am playing 0.64 Mniszek in the Ostfront tourney.

I am the Russians, and one of my tanks became a steaming wreck at the entrance to the bridge hex on the Russian entry side. Now, when I try to move another tank onto the bridge in that hex it says "bridge movement not possible".

Does a wreck on a bridge block bridge movement? If so, is there any way to remove the wreck? Otherwise my tanks are stuck across the river, almost useless in this scenario.

I am afraid thats the case. A T-34 wreck can block the bridge for other tanks in real life too. Your infantry should move alone and tanks should provide supporting fire across the river.

12-09-2011, 10:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 12:08 AM by Laza.)
(12-08-2011, 11:51 PM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: I am afraid thats the case. A T-34 wreck can block the bridge for other tanks in real life too. Your infantry should move alone and tanks should provide supporting fire across the river.

Hi Oz

My Russian tourney game also came to abrupt halt after having a tank wrecked on bridge. When I tried it also stopping standing infantry from crossing the bridge as well
244 games with legend that is Richie61
12-10-2011, 12:01 AM,
(12-09-2011, 10:24 PM)Laza Wrote:
(12-08-2011, 11:51 PM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: I am afraid thats the case. A T-34 wreck can block the bridge for other tanks in real life too. Your infantry should move alone and tanks should provide supporting fire across the river.

Hi Oz

My Russian tourney game also came to abrupt half after having a tank wrecked on bridge. When I tried it also stopping standing infantry from crossing the bridge as well

Laz, as far as I know it is a movement points issue rather than unit's disposition. A tank wreck on a bridge will cost movement points for the infantry too. I'll check the scenario at home.

A general advice is not ending your turn with a tank on the bridge hex in order to avoid an enemy ambush that will block the bridge and ruin your plans.

12-10-2011, 12:36 AM,
I'm not all that thrilled with an active discussion on an on-going tourney game, but since a few folks have commented on being frustrated by the tank issue, I'll let it go, for now.

When I chose this scenario, I picked a few winter scenarios and then compared them to the current database here at the Blitz. I had not played or tested this scenario in the past, so if this is a bit of a ball-buster you can blame me a bit. In checking the play-testing report for this scenario, it was not, unfortunately tested in a PBEM game. The tester was able to win against the AI and felt it would be an even more fun scenario as a PBEM.

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Squa...&ladder=10

As you can see, the Russians have been successful twice in this game, albeit one being Ozgur who could probably beat the Indians in a Battle of the Little Bighorn scenario....

That said, you have to think carefully about what you're doing in order to win this one as the Russians. You lose a tank on a bridge in real life, chances are you've blocked the bridge for a while, unless you've got a dedicated engineer team to move it. In the time-frames for SB, that's not all that realistic.

As for the infantry, it makes some sense that you can't get past a burning tank on a bridge by 'crawling' near it. Chances are, you need to get up and run past it. I don't think this is an unrealistic representation of what you'd have to do in real life.

It would be no fun if I didn't give a tourney a challenging scenario! It will separate the men from the boys.

;)
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-10-2011, 06:05 AM,
I think my tactics are best. Get them knocked out before the bridge!

Just one of those things. I think the russkies get later reinforcements to the south so not all is lost.
12-10-2011, 10:41 AM,
Whoops, told a fib. Just opened up the file and I managed to get three accross. They were clobbered pretty quickly so I think I repressed that memory.
12-11-2011, 09:40 PM,
I thought I'd share an EMAIL that I received about this post. It's too funny not to...

Quote:I would like to request that you pair me in the next round with one of the guys that tried to move a T-34 across the bridge before suppressing/killing the 75mm AT's..armor..Panzershreck teams and Panzerfaust teams with prime overwatch LOS
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-12-2011, 03:56 AM,
(12-11-2011, 09:40 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I thought I'd share an EMAIL that I received about this post. It's too funny not to...

Quote:I would like to request that you pair me in the next round with one of the guys that tried to move a T-34 across the bridge before suppressing/killing the 75mm AT's..armor..Panzershreck teams and Panzerfaust teams with prime overwatch LOS

Hmm this is the one of those scenarios where you have to make a decision if you use your prior knowlege of the other mirror game. Also depends on which game was played first.

I try to play these as if I didn't know the position of the other force and only fire if fired upon or they are viewed. Hard to do sometimes. I think this is similar to the conversation that was posted about using arty along roads / entry points.
12-12-2011, 08:06 AM,
(12-12-2011, 03:56 AM)Nikb Wrote: Hmm this is the one of those scenarios where you have to make a decision if you use your prior knowlege of the other mirror game. Also depends on which game was played first.

I try to play these as if I didn't know the position of the other force and only fire if fired upon or they are viewed. Hard to do sometimes. I think this is similar to the conversation that was posted about using arty along roads / entry points.

Exactly Nik age old chasm between those who like to play blind and those who study every blade of grass on the map

Not sure what so funny about it though
244 games with legend that is Richie61