• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Technical Difficulities
09-06-2011, 11:40 AM,
Technical Difficulities
Gents - today I had to change out graphics card - so I put in a new Nvidia GeForce 8400GS card - up to this point all my east and west front games played with no issues.

The game crashes after I launch the game and after the Matrix displays - I get West Front.exe has stopped working.

I have played around with all the compatibility settings to no avail and still the game crashes.

Any thoughts or ideas out there to help me?
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM,
RE: Technical Difficulities
Hi Steve,

See if there's a newer driver on Nvidia's site. If there is, install it. If not, you could try rolling back to an older driver. A little time consuming, but nothing that can't be undone. Don't assume that the card came with the latest drivers.

You could also try manually putting it in 256 color mode before playing the game, even though you shouldn't have to.

Just West Front or all of them?

I think I have that card at work, but I'll check tomorrow. If it is, though, then I know the game plays using it, which would point right back to it being a driver issue.

Good luck,

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-07-2011, 12:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 12:51 AM by Tiger 88.)
(09-06-2011, 01:04 PM)Scud Wrote: Hi Steve,

See if there's a newer driver on Nvidia's site. If there is, install it. If not, you could try rolling back to an older driver. A little time consuming, but nothing that can't be undone. Don't assume that the card came with the latest drivers.

You could also try manually putting it in 256 color mode before playing the game, even though you shouldn't have to.

Just West Front or all of them?

I think I have that card at work, but I'll check tomorrow. If it is, though, then I know the game plays using it, which would point right back to it being a driver issue.

Good luck,

Dave

One other weird tweak here was that after I installed the graphics card - I noticed that windows was now telling me that I no longer had a sound card installed....so after researching the web for this error - I was told to go into my bios (upon starting up) and making sure that my sound was in fact enabled - it was not - so I enabled sound again, booted the pc up and presto - all my games worked again - go figure!

Scud - thanks for the response on this - much appreciate your helping me out.

So - if this happens to anyone else - keep this one in your tickler file for weird things to look for...

Man - what would we do without windows - lol.....
09-07-2011, 02:57 AM,
Wow, that's a new one! My card at work is an 8500 GT, so any info gleamed wouldn't have helped.

Anyway, glad it worked out.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email