• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tillers Battleground series ACW/Nap
08-23-2011, 05:28 AM,
John Tillers Battleground series ACW/Nap
Hello everyone,

Looking for some opinions on Matrix's John Tiller Battleground Series, both the Napoleon and the American Civil War. They look nice, in some sense nicer than the more current HPS stuff. I am sure they are missing some features of the later HPS stuff...but how are they over all. I am really enticed by the fact that the Nappy title has a naval component. Is PBEM fairly active for these Matrix titles?
Kind Regards,
Harry
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2011, 05:46 AM,
RE: John Tillers Battleground series ACW/Nap
gabeeg,

This link here should help you out in finding your information.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=54954

As for how popular/active the BG series is, you can check here to see what was reported to the Black Powder ladder for the last 90 days.

https://www.theblitz.club/ladders/Black-...ults&lid=7

If I counted correctly, out of 42 games reported in the last 90 days, only one game was a BG game, and it was a Nap game. Out of a total of 10 Nap games reported, 9 were HPS and one was BG.

Hope that helps.
08-23-2011, 09:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM by Al Amos.)
The Nappy does not have a naval component. JT made a sailing ship game, but it is completely stand alone, no interface with his Nap BG games at all.

The games are fun, basic compared to the later HPS stuff. It's an inexpensive way to get your feet wet.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
08-23-2011, 10:12 AM,
Thanks Checkmate,

That was an excellent thread...but I am still indecisive. Still tempted by the "Age of Sail" bonus game (wish JTS or HPS would release an age of sail game) included in the Matrix Nap Battleground. It does sound like there were some not so minor game play tweaks made in the HPS versions...still in its own right the battleground games sound fun. I think I will save it for an impulse buy when I am desperate for a new game.

Al,

Yeah, I re-read the matrix blurb the naval part is included as a "bonus game"...even better for my likes.
Kind Regards,
Harry
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM,
It is a very fun naval game.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
08-23-2011, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM by jonnymacbrown.)
(08-23-2011, 11:39 AM)Al Amos Wrote: It is a very fun naval game.

Yeah, Age of Sail is a BLAST! Big Grin
09-01-2011, 12:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2011, 01:58 AM by Cats.)
Sir,

In my opinion the biggest difference is in the maps. I think the detail is nicer on the Matrix compared to the HPS.

Below is the Matrix pic of the Waterloo area:

.jpg   capture_31082011_103831.jpg (Size: 483.41 KB / Downloads: 57)

Below is the HPS of same:

.jpg   capture_31082011_104046.jpg (Size: 465.61 KB / Downloads: 54)

There are some differences in the engine, if you are used to the HPS it will take a bit of patience for the Matrix. As for the engine, I prefer the HPS.

Hope this helped!
09-03-2011, 03:43 AM,
The Talonsoft/Matrix maps [ilooki] nicer. The Ligny/Quatrebras map was quite inaccurate, however.
09-03-2011, 07:33 AM,
I decided to buy both the Napy and CW titles since Matrix has the $10.00 off deal if you buy both. I am primarily interested in "Age of Sail"...thats how desperate I am for a half decent age of sail PC game (that also runs on Win 7 x64). I am using the games to see if I am actually interested in tactical CW and Nap battles. I love SB and 1776...

Thanks all that replied!
09-03-2011, 11:41 AM,
(09-03-2011, 07:33 AM)gabeeg Wrote: I decided to buy both the Napy and CW titles since Matrix has the $10.00 off deal if you buy both. I am primarily interested in "Age of Sail"...thats how desperate I am for a half decent age of sail PC game (that also runs on Win 7 x64). I am using the games to see if I am actually interested in tactical CW and Nap battles. I love SB and 1776...

Thanks all that replied!

Good Luck with it.

I'm sure there are many of us waiting of John Tiller to release a updated version of Age of Sail which offers PBEM.