• Downloads

Pacific PzC Candidates?
05-28-2011, 06:31 AM,
Pacific PzC Candidates?
Manchuria 39/45
Phillipines
Malaysia
Olympic / Coronet

anything else possible at the game scale?

any chance of seeing something in this theater?
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2011, 07:51 AM,
RE: Pacific PzC Candidates?
(05-28-2011, 06:31 AM)bwv Wrote: Manchuria 39/45
Phillipines
Malaysia
Olympic / Coronet

anything else possible at the game scale?

any chance of seeing something in this theater?

Always a chance I suppose. For any title you need to look at

- the Map size: given 1km per hex will the map be big enough to support a title - example - Iwo Jima would only be a handful of hexes
- the period covered in the main campaign: Is there a good campaign period of a manageable length of time. Example - Guadalcanal went from Aug 42 to March or April 43 (I think) and that is in general too long a time period.
- Does ground change hands: That is if you have a game with the right size map but the main fightiong is in a few hexes which don't change hands fast enough, than it won't make an interesting game.
- Finally is there enough battles which went for days - not hours to support this level of game - again using Guadacanal as the example - more men were killed by disease than combat and that won't work for a PzC (even if Avalon did a great boardgame on this title back in the 60's - which I happen to still own BTW :) )

Outside of that - anything is possible.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-28-2011, 08:04 AM,
yes, the battles I listed are the only ones that I think would meet that criteria
05-28-2011, 01:19 PM,
(05-28-2011, 08:04 AM)bwv Wrote: yes, the battles I listed are the only ones that I think would meet that criteria

Ya - I guess - I would have to look closer at these to comment in detail so I kept example from places you didn't mention.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-28-2011, 05:53 PM,
Of those titles my favourite would be Coronet/Olympic for sure!

Perhaps another title would be the fictional invasion of Australia by Japan? Obviusly it would not need to feature all Australia, just the north-eastern part.

05-29-2011, 04:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2011, 04:05 AM by Compass Rose.)
Coronet/Olympic would be very interesting, just like Sealion!

Did the Japanese ever put together a plan for invading the US after the attack on Pearl Harbor? If not, I wonder if that would make a good hypothetical title.
05-29-2011, 04:29 AM,
(05-29-2011, 04:04 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Coronet/Olympic would be very interesting, just like Sealion!

Did the Japanese ever put together a plan for invading the US after the attack on Pearl Harbor? If not, I wonder if that would make a good hypothetical title.

Maybe the hypothetical amphibious assault on Pearl Harbor or other Hawaian islands would also be an interesting title.
05-29-2011, 07:26 AM,
Hawaiian islands...West coast of US?...

Now we are getting VERY hypothetical Big Grin
05-29-2011, 07:53 AM,
Burma 41-45. Japanese invasion, Imphal, Kohima and a multitude of smaller battles on the Irrawaddy and in eastern Burma as part of the campaign for Mandalay in 44/45. Tanks, air landing ops, Chindits, Commonwealth, Americans, Japanese and Chinese.
05-29-2011, 09:11 AM,
(05-29-2011, 07:53 AM)AIREDALE Wrote: Burma 41-45. Japanese invasion, Imphal, Kohima and a multitude of smaller battles on the Irrawaddy and in eastern Burma as part of the campaign for Mandalay in 44/45. Tanks, air landing ops, Chindits, Commonwealth, Americans, Japanese and Chinese.

I like that idea cheers
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman