• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

EA '42 Gazala map question
04-19-2011, 06:04 AM,
EA '42 Gazala map question
Why are the Sidra and Rigel Ridges actually depressions on the Gazala map?
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2011, 08:06 AM,
RE: EA '42 Gazala map question
(04-19-2011, 06:04 AM)FM WarB Wrote: Why are the Sidra and Rigel Ridges actually depressions on the Gazala map?

At the risk of sounding silly - because they were actually depressions.

I honestly can't recall these two but there is a well know action at Alamein at another well known RIDGE which was a depression. Funny how they named them - but that is the way it was I guess.
Send this user an email
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM,
Glenn,

I am sure you have more sources on the battle than I do. Perhaps I was misled by the accounts I read that say "on" the ridge, not in it.

From Carver, Tobruk p. 197, describing the attack of the the 46 and 7 RTRs from the north on Sidra Ridge, "The five mile forward slope north of the ridge ..."

Perhaps Carver was wrong.

Warren
04-19-2011, 12:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
(04-19-2011, 11:38 AM)FM WarB Wrote: Glenn,

I am sure you have more sources on the battle than I do. Perhaps I was misled by the accounts I read that say "on" the ridge, not in it.

From Carver, Tobruk p. 197, describing the attack of the the 46 and 7 RTRs from the north on Sidra Ridge, "The five mile forward slope north of the ridge ..."

Perhaps Carver was wrong.

Warren

I just dug out a source map - not the one used - but a good source map all the same. Sidra ridge is a bit of high ground but it is the escaprment just south of where the label is located.

So the map is correct - the label is just badly placed.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM,
Where is the bit of high ground? The depression and embankment that is the "Sidra Ridge" now favor forces to the north.
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM by Volcano Man.)
Well, a large depression has a ridge around it. This is where Google Earth comes in handy.

I loaded up Google Earth myself, turned the elevation exaggeration on 3 (the highest), and went to Tobruq, Lybia. Go south to Adam, (in the game it is el Adem). Those "ridges" are the escarpments formed by the south side of the depressions. I would send a KMZ file showing the location but it is pretty easy to find and see the escarpment and depression.

AFAICT, it is as Glenn said: if anything the map labels could be moved south a few hexes to run along the escarpment hexes, but it does seem to be a depression with the "ridge" being the high ground/escarpment on the south side of it.
Send this user an email
04-19-2011, 11:18 PM,
As elevation provides no combat modifier, the positioning of the embankment gives the advantage to the forces north of it. Slows movement, though.
04-20-2011, 07:07 AM,
(04-19-2011, 11:18 PM)FM WarB Wrote: As elevation provides no combat modifier,

No necessarily so
There is a PDT value for this and in Kharkov 43 and the Mius River PzC Demo, this is -10%.

Glenn
Send this user an email