• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question: Compatibility
03-09-2011, 03:08 AM,
Question: Compatibility
Is the Matrix Battleground games compatible with the NiR Project modules? I'm tired of having to use my old 32bit laptop to play, but I don't want to buy the new versions if all my NiR games won't work. :conf:
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2011, 06:36 AM,
RE: Question: Compatibility
The only difference between the Matrix and the Talonsoft versions is that the former have had the start exe file modified so it can be installed with Vista and Win7. Also modified so when electronically downloaded you can't save to a cd and reinstall!!
Nirproject modified graphics, oob pdt, maps etc. Nothing in the way of engine changes. So as far as I can imagine, the nirproject add-ons should be compatible. You may just have to manually install the various files into the various folders.
There were a lot of flaws with the games and they are rarely played at all now.
03-23-2011, 05:06 AM,
Thanks.
03-28-2011, 05:35 AM,
Hi Scott.

The NIR modules for Campaign Ulm and Invasion of Prussia are really good.
I´ve installed them to my Matrix BG folder.
Many of the other project files suffer from bugs.

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
06-13-2011, 07:21 AM,
Ok, I bought the Matrix versions and installed them. I followed the instructions provided by the Napoleonic War Club:

1.Find the battle in which you are interested in the table. For these
instructions below, we'll use The Battle of Marengo as an example.
2.Since the "Game" says NIR in the table, then copy your entire NIR directory (or "Napoleon in Russia" if using the latest Matrix Games installation) to a new directory, and rename it Series1C.
3.Download the main file ma_main.zip. Unzip in the Series1C (main) directory, rewriting over all existing files.
4.Delete all sub-directories (i.e., BD, CK, FF, ...) in the directory named Series1C.
5.Create the sub-directory named as indicated under the column "Install" for the Marengo battle, which in this case is "BD".
6.Download the sub-directory file ma.zip. Unzip in the Series1C/BD directory.
7.Go up to the Series1C (main) directory and find the file name BG_START.EXE and right click the mouse on it. Select the menu "Send to desktop (create shortcut)". Rename the desktop shortcut from "BG_START.EXE" to Marengo by right clicking and selecting Rename from the menu.
8.Place the NIR CD (or BGW CD if called for by the table for that battle) and double click the new desktop icon for this battle. Voila! The new "add-on" game will start. (Always amazes me, and all these battles for FREE!)
9.If another directory is desired and available in the series, which in the 'Series1C' case there is, repeat this process. In this case, create another sub-directory "CK" within Series1C main directory. Then download the mb.zip file and unzip it in that Series1C\CK sub-directory. Now both Marengo and Montebello have been installed.
10.Repeat this for all the other series, each in their own main directories named "Series1A", "Series1B", "Series1C", and so on. For a view of all installed icons on a desktop, click here. Don't forget to use BGW instead of NIR as the source copy directory for the Peninsula Wars and any others that the table calls for.

And I get this error:
"There is an error with your serial number as entered. Please contact [email protected] for assistance."

???:hissy: Anyone know how to fix this?
06-13-2011, 10:58 AM,
I would have installed exactly as Matrix directed, no offence to the club.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
06-19-2011, 12:05 AM,
(06-13-2011, 10:58 AM)Al Amos Wrote: I would have installed exactly as Matrix directed, no offence to the club.

I installed the actual game disks from Matrix as directed. What I'm trying to do now is install the NiR project games so they work with the new Matrix NiR engine. If Matrix has given directions on how to do that, I haven't seen them. They allow the NiR Project discussions on their forum, so I don't think they're opposed to the games.
06-19-2011, 10:54 PM,
The only thing modified by Matrix is the start exe so it can work with Vista etc. So your Nirproject games should work as the files replace existing oob,pdt, maps and icons and whatever. I never had a problem installing them when using my Talonsoft version.

My guess is that Matrix have made it impossible to install the game more than once. I used a digital download which works fine, transferred to a cd and that will not install.