• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Group movement
03-07-2011, 01:21 AM,
Group movement
I seem to remember a post some time ago that mentioned you could give a whole group or even division (based on organization I think) a movement order? To be used for moving units in the rear to the action in a timely manner?
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2011, 02:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2011, 02:27 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: Group movement
A/I Orders are used by the Artificial Intelligence feature of the game to move units when a side is under the control of the computer. In addition, the human player can use A/I Orders to assist them in the movement of organizations across the map.

To issue an A/I Order for an organization, select any unit in the organization and then right click on the destination hex while holding down the Alt key. This will issue an A/I Order for the organization, highlight the organization, and display the A/I Order on the screen. A/I Orders are normally issued at the Divisional level at a minimum, but may be issued at the Brigade level for example, if there is no Division containing the Brigade. A/I Orders may also be issued for Corps organizations or higher by selecting the HQ of the Corps for example when issuing the order. When an A/I Order is issued at the Corps level or higher, then individual orders for the sub-organizations under the higher organization are issued automatically.

The current A/I Orders for the current side can be viewed and individual orders deleted by using the A/I Order Dialog.
There's also divisional movement, where you click in a hex containing a division's units, and alt-rightclick to where you want that unit to go. It'll go as far as it can go that turn, and all units in that division adjacent to it and chained up in sequential adjacent hexes will follow along.

It works best if you "daisy chain" your units in a continuous line and remember not to have a slower unit in the middle as once it reaches its MP limit it will stop but the units in front will continue, so you need to get organised at the beginning for this to work well. ;)
03-07-2011, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2011, 02:40 AM by larsonney.)
Thank you for that response! I believe you are talking about scenario design?

I thought there was a way inside of a game being played that you could move units by division in the rear areas...to avoid having to move each unit individually?

Sorry for the confusion...
Nevermind...I missed the second part of your response...which was what I was looking for...thanks!!Big Grin
03-07-2011, 03:42 AM,
No problem, actually the first way can be used for scenario design AND for normal play, but i believe Divisional movement is favoured by most people. ;)
03-07-2011, 04:13 AM,
Oops...I missed the human player part on your original reply...that's what I get for skimming your post after reading A/I :rolleyes:

Sorry for my confusion & thanks for helping me out!!:bow:

Jon
03-07-2011, 08:11 AM,
No problem. happy to help.....
03-09-2011, 03:50 AM,
(03-07-2011, 03:42 AM)Foul. Wrote: ... but i believe Divisional movement is favoured by most people. ;)

Right and a word to the wise - something that has just come up in testing, when using group movement at night, in new titles where NIGHT DISRUPTION is in effect - best to move in smaller steps least to ensure the unit\column follows the road, even in places where it may twist and turn. If the lowest movement path takes teh column OFFthe road, then Night disruption is possible.

Bottom line - Night disruption was added to the game to discourage players from trying to do too muich movement at night. Doing any movement at night is best done carefully to avoid any night dusruption effects.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-09-2011, 04:41 AM,
There are some wonderful accounts of units trying to move at night in the relatively featureless landscape of the North African desert, and ending up miles away from where they were supposed to be because they wandered off in the wrong direction.

I wonder if it would make any sense to add varying possibilities of random scatter movement when not traveling on roads at night.

Getting disorganized because it is dark is not the same as ending up in the wrong place because it is dark.

This kind of thing would probably work out better in a WEGO environment, but a little involuntary movement would at least be something.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
03-09-2011, 05:21 AM,
Well, to some extent, disruption does represent the unit getting scattered. It must be rationalized (at this level) that the unit is not always literally in the exact hex the counter is in, so disruption does play into the fact that half the unit might be here and half over there.
Send this user an email
03-09-2011, 06:43 AM,
(03-09-2011, 04:41 AM)Philippe Wrote: ... but a little involuntary movement would at least be something.

I've previously asked John for features like this - where players lose control. He is resistant to the idea because:

a) they are apparently not popular with gamers who like to know "a unit can move from X to Y and still retain Z MPs so they can deploy, ir take a shot ect.

b) unvoluntary things - or issues which people can't understand are often thought of as BUGs and reported to us or on public forums as problems.

Glenn
Send this user an email