• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kharkov '43 updated
02-21-2011, 04:18 AM,
Thumbs_Up  Kharkov '43 updated
Version 1.01 of Kharkov '43 has been posted at the JTSoftware site.

Good job guys! cheers
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2011, 10:06 AM,
RE: Kharkov '43 updated
A lot of work done on scenarios after feedback from players here at the Blitz and further play testing.

There is also one very large piece of additional content :)

David
02-21-2011, 02:35 PM,
FYI, be sure to read the new Campaign notes that are mentioned in the changes.txt file that opens upon install. It mentioned a new feature there, but not in the changes, re victory determination, sounds excellent.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM,
(02-21-2011, 02:35 PM)Ricky B Wrote: FYI, be sure to read the new Campaign notes that are mentioned in the changes.txt file that opens upon install. It mentioned a new feature there, but not in the changes, re victory determination, sounds excellent.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

I want to make it clear that the 'new' victory determination is really a house rule the design team came up with. We felt that this approach was the only way to get a full campaign that would play with the historical objectives in mind. There are currently not many Panzer Campaigns where the front line swept forward over 400 km and then back again.

As this is not a supported change with Panzer Campaigns we had to use some in game messaging differently such as the Strategy Dialog to explain what players had to do - otherwise it is all manual recording (albeit only three times in the game). This is one of the reasons that this scenario is not officially supported by JTS and should be viewed as a thank you from the design team to all those that are enjoying Kharkov '43.

As far as the actual form of victory determination - we think making the focus on locations over time much closer to the experience of the actual comanders in the field. For example pushing hard to the Dnepr with inadequate forces will be the Soviet players lot, but if he doesn't, he will have as good as lost the game in the first phase. If left to their own devices a Soviet player would never spread his forces out so far.

Only the community's play of the scenario will tell us if we are on the right path.

Enjoy!

David
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM,
Can i continue games started under version 1.0 with version 1.01? Of course if my opponent have the update to. Or i need 2 instalations of the game. One for the games started under 1.0 and the second for games started with 1.01.
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM,
(02-21-2011, 08:28 PM)Arkan Wrote: Can i continue games started under version 1.0 with version 1.01? Of course if my opponent have the update to. Or i need 2 instalations of the game. One for the games started under 1.0 and the second for games started with 1.01.

Hi Arkan,

You can continue games under 1.01 that you started with 1.0. In the main the changes were either to scenarios that won't take effect until you start again or some additional choices (mouse wheel etc) under the settings menu.

The changes in the PDT WILL impact current games and one of them may be enough for you to maintain two installations. We changed a parameter for foot movement which is essentially for dismounted troops. We increased this from the default 4 to 5. This essentially allows B & C morale motorised & mechanised troops move two hexes deployed. This is something that A class troops could already do. The main reason for doing this was the German Panzer Divisions. There was a large gulf in game between what A & B Divisions could physically do and this solved the problem without raising the morale of all the German Panzer's to A morale.

The other PDT change was to increase the German Tank recovery rate to 3% (from 2%) - insignificant in game terms and not worthy of a seperate install.

Hope the above helps.

David
02-22-2011, 01:33 AM,
(02-21-2011, 04:32 PM)Strela Wrote: Thanks Rick,

I want to make it clear that the 'new' victory determination is really a house rule the design team came up with. We felt that this approach was the only way to get a full campaign that would play with the historical objectives in mind. There are currently not many Panzer Campaigns where the front line swept forward over 400 km and then back again.

As this is not a supported change with Panzer Campaigns we had to use some in game messaging differently such as the Strategy Dialog to explain what players had to do - otherwise it is all manual recording (albeit only three times in the game). This is one of the reasons that this scenario is not officially supported by JTS and should be viewed as a thank you from the design team to all those that are enjoying Kharkov '43.

As far as the actual form of victory determination - we think making the focus on locations over time much closer to the experience of the actual comanders in the field. For example pushing hard to the Dnepr with inadequate forces will be the Soviet players lot, but if he doesn't, he will have as good as lost the game in the first phase. If left to their own devices a Soviet player would never spread his forces out so far.

Only the community's play of the scenario will tell us if we are on the right path.

Enjoy!

David

Thanks for clarifying how it works David. Still gives a good twist to the victory conditions.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-22-2011, 04:10 AM,
Great work David,

Lovely lovely work. I'm eager to play the monster campaing under the house rule victory conditions.

Also those playing Operation Star (single or combined) under 1.01 should notice the germans can potentially (due rest) double their tank strength.

Bests
César
02-22-2011, 07:40 AM,
flex victory conditions based on time is a great idea. this makes the game even better. I think this scenario would be ideal for a team game
02-22-2011, 08:00 AM,
If someone organize a team game with this great campaign i'm ready to join one of the teams :-)