• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

My Second Newbie Thread
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM,
My Second Newbie Thread
Hi all. New player, here. I started a thread last May, geared at getting into PBEM, but let myself get distracted by Squad Battles and then other games. Now I have a few more questions.

I read somewhere recently that JT has come up with a simple, elegant solution to the AT problem. (I think I read that) Does anyone know what the solution is, and what titles it's been incorporated in to so far? Even in Smolensk '41, AT guns on both sides are useless. They can't be deployed next to the enemy, or retreated from the enemy without tremendous losses. It seems to me that, as long as the hex they're entering or leaving has some friendly infantry to cover them, then they shouldn't be so hard hit.

Next question: How do most players clear defended minefields? Do you send the small Engineer companies forward by themselves, to get shot up? Or do you send in some regular infantry first to cover them, taking some mine hits in the process?

Also, I read in the rules that after engineers are working on mine clearing it should be safe for other units to enter the hex as long as the engineers are still there. It seems that, even a turn after the engineers go in, my other troops still take losses.

I've focused my learning the game by playing the h2h version of the Dniepr river crossing Mogilev scenario, since that's what I'm aiming to play PBEM first. It's the only h2h approved scenario in Smolensk '41, the only PzC game I own so far. My only experience with mine fields stems from the ones west of Mogilev.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2011, 09:00 AM,
RE: My Second Newbie Thread
(02-02-2011, 08:09 AM)Ubercat Wrote: I read somewhere recently that JT has come up with a simple, elegant solution to the AT problem. (I think I read that) Does anyone know what the solution is,

From the changes.txt file

- Change so that towed AT gun unit which changes to Travel Mode without expending any movement points prior to that change will not trigger enemy Opportunity Fire.

Quote:... and what titles it's been incorporated in to so far?

The newly updated games have it - check the changes.txt file which is in yur game folder or onteh HPS website

Quote:Next question: How do most players clear defended minefields? Do you send the small Engineer companies forward by themselves, to get shot up? Or do you send in some regular infantry first to cover them, taking some mine hits in the process?

Pass

Quote:Also, I read in the rules that after engineers are working on mine clearing it should be safe for other units to enter the hex as long as the engineers are still there. It seems that, even a turn after the engineers go in, my other troops still take losses.

The unit entering the MINE hex while the Eng is clearing the hex must be in T mode - that is consider the hex being worked on as containing LANES though the minefield - but to use Lanes the unit must be in T mode.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-02-2011, 03:15 PM,
Hey Ubercat,

I too am new to PzC, and, so far, I only own Smolensk '41 and Moscow '41. Like you, I too have noticed from the scenario stats that there appears to be a lack of h2h scenarios for the first title, which is a shame.

When I decided to try PzC, I was hoping to battle my way through the Eastern Front year by year while reading books about the campaigns. I'm not sure I will continue my chronological tour as I enjoy the PzC series too much and can't wait to get the other campaigns, but I still lament the lack of h2h scenarios in Smolensk '41. Accordingly, with the help of a mentor, I've decided to try and modify some of the stock Smolensk '41 scenarios to get them h2h approved.

Since "Drive Over the Dnepr" has already been modded for h2h play, I think fans of the battle would appreciate it if "Storming the Land Bridge" and "A Decision to be Made" were balanced as well. These scenarios would then serve as excellent introductions to the full campaign, which already has high marks and appears balanced from the games reported. Would you, or any other players, be interested in playing either scenario mirrored and giving me your impressions so I can tweak the scenario and hopefully, eventually get it h2h approved?

Best regards,
Jim~Guderian
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM,
Glen is right on the mines point but do not put a unit in T mode next to enemy units unless they are disrupted out of supply etc and even then be careful enemy air love units in T mode and whilst the AI may not notice a human will.

If you want to try a game let me know as I can fit in a small game now. I am happy to explain what I do and why if that would help you get into the games

Mike
02-03-2011, 02:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2011, 02:58 AM by Ubercat.)
Thanks for your feedback Glen.

Guderian, I appreciate your effort and would love to help, but as an inexperienced player myself, I'm not sure I'd be a good playtester. I might think that something needs tweaking when it's just my own ignorance.

Mike, thanks for the offer. A learning (bootcamp?) game would be great. Would you want to take the Germans in the H2H approved S41 Mogilev scenario? I could watch how you force a crossing, and use your Panzers after you achieve a breakthrough.

I played that first as Soviets against the AI and The German only put a handful of units against the river for me to shell until time ran out. I don't think I even saw any tanks! Playing the Germans next, I mistakenly split my effort into two spots. I penetrated the city and captured both bridges, as well as building some bridges north of the city. I had no problem crossing in either area, but I couldn't bring enough force to bear in either area to avoid being swarmed.
I remember reading something last year on the site which describes the bootcamp system of the ladders for new members. Now I can't find it.

Also, I'll PM you my Email, Mike, in case your answer is yes.
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM,
I read up on the Ladder system, and want to sign up for bootcamp. There's supposed to be a join link at the top of the page, but darned if I can find it in the Ladder section, or on any Blitz page I've checked. Can anyone point it out? Thanks.
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM,
(02-03-2011, 12:25 PM)Ubercat Wrote: I read up on the Ladder system, and want to sign up for bootcamp. There's supposed to be a join link at the top of the page, but darned if I can find it in the Ladder section, or on any Blitz page I've checked. Can anyone point it out? Thanks.

Select Control Panel towards the top of the page. Next select Blitz, which is located in the very last dark blue box. Next, select General Options. The different ladders that you can join are listed at the top. Make sure to hold down the CTRL key if you want to join more than one ladder. If you don't hold down the key, you will only be able to high light one ladder. Below that area, you can do the same type of thing for selecting which games you own. If you do this, other members will know, and it will make it easier for you to get game offers.
02-03-2011, 01:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2011, 01:27 PM by Guderian.)
I'll tell you if you help me with my h2h project. :P

Seriously though, you probably can't join because you're already a member. You probably just need to edit your profile and add PzC to your games that you own.

Edit - Doh, too late.
02-04-2011, 01:19 AM,
Thanks! I found it and signed up for PzC and SB ladders. I also have AotR, but I'm focusing on S41 for now.
02-04-2011, 01:25 AM,
(02-04-2011, 01:19 AM)Ubercat Wrote: Thanks! I found it and signed up for PzC and SB ladders. I also have AotR, but I'm focusing on S41 for now.

I'm sure you'll enjoy AOTR also!