• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

H2H database
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM by Pointman.)
H2H database
Hello,was wondering if the scenarios after they have been approved and entered into the H2H database, could be updated at a later time if need be?

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2011, 08:20 PM,
RE: H2H database
(01-24-2011, 11:27 AM)Pointman Wrote: Hello,was wondering if the scenarios after they have been approved and entered into the H2H database, could be updated at a later time if need be?

Thanks.

H2H approval is based on the scenario that was tested.
If they are altered in anyway after receiving H2H approval they will no longer be a H2H approved scenario and the title should be changed to reflect that.

The purpose of H2H testing is to provide the members with scenarios that have been tested to be balanced for PBEM. Why would it need to be updated? :chin:

I can only see fixing map errors as the only issue that would need updating that would not affect the balance of a scenario. Changes to the OOB or unit positions and reinforcement schedules would serious change the scenario.

If anyone sees it differently, let me know?

cheers

HSL
01-26-2011, 12:41 AM,
(01-24-2011, 11:27 AM)Pointman Wrote: Hello,was wondering if the scenarios after they have been approved and entered into the H2H database, could be updated at a later time if need be?

Thanks.

Yes they can. I specifically asked for that one or two years ago. H2H will link through to the normal database where the scenarios are physically stored .
HSL has a point that it is unlikely that tested scns should be updated, but it can happen that minor adjustments are needed for good reasons. It is unlikely that a designer will decide to do a major overhaul with an approved scnenario I think. An example is a scn where I changed a work-around for bridge engineers for real bridge engineers when they became available.
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM,
I thought that there might be an exception or two.It seems with the shortage of H2H testers, the scenarios don"t get as much attention as need be until their release into the general population.Although you can get real close to a balanced scenario, it is hard to determine that fine line because of the different testers playing level and style.

Thanks for the input.:)
01-26-2011, 08:04 PM,
Bruce,

You have a point man (pun intended). ;)
It is the H2H process that was supposed to weed out problems within a scenario. Mostly to ensure balance and fun during play.

As both Huib and I said, there may be "issues" with an approved scenario that would cause a designer to amend it after it is "approved for H2H" play. But, they should not be done when they change the scenario from it's intended design?

Things like altering the map, the OOB, the set up, the reinforcements, or victory conditions should have a designer ask to remove the H2H label take the scenario back to H2H testing. :smoke:

A designer could always ask to return their scenario to H2H testing. Hopefully with minor changes that could help it move quickly to "re"-approval?
It's not a bad thing to ask for an approved scenario to be removed from the H2H "approved status" if the designer deems it so?

My concern is that the scenario passed through testing and was found to be fun and balanced in it's current form. If the testers felt that way and did not find the designers "flaw" during testing, the designer may be tinkering without feedback. Why fix what is not broken and take the risk of unbalancing the scenario? :chin:

Thanks for your comments. If you want to send me an e-mail or further discuss it here, I'd like to find out the specifics and see what the intentions are for making any changes.

cheers

HSL
01-26-2011, 11:53 PM,
Actually, I was just curious.I didn't see any reading material on the subject
(or missed it)so I thought I would ask.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your input.
:)
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM,
Ed & Huib,

Your both right !

If its a minor revision then I have no problem with it keeping the H2H tag, but if it undegoes a MAJOR revision then it needs to be reapproved.

(For example I am a qualified First Aider who keeps upto date with developments BUT every 3 years I have to requalify as a First Aider by going on a training course).
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West