• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Firing into an Hex
12-24-2010, 10:29 PM,
Firing into an Hex
As I understand the manual when you fire into an hex all units in the hex stand an equal chance of taking casualties and you cannot select a target.
What then happens when you are firing with an AT round and there are both infantry and armoured vehicles in the hex.
Obviously I am not wishing to fire at the infantry with an AT round, does anyone know if the computer understands this and selects only the armoured targets.

Cheerscheers
Gordon
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM,
RE: Firing into an Hex
Nobody got an answer then:(

CheerscheersGordon
12-29-2010, 01:17 AM,
Hi Gordon,

Sorry it has taken longer than usual to get an answer. Often you'll get a response within a couple of hours. But I think everyone's been busy with the holidays (and the new SB release!). I have provided some extra detail below, but the simple answer to your question is yes, the computer selects only the armoured targets.

The following is a relevant excerpt from the Users Manual:

Target Restrictions
Based on their characteristics, certain weapon loads have restrictions as to the types of targets they are effective against.

• Ground Only – these loads have no affect against flying Helicopters. These represent loads such as those fired by tanks or artillery that have basically no chance of hitting a flying target.

• Vehicle Only – these loads only affect Vehicle targets and Infantry targets in Bunkers and Pillboxes. Also Infantry targets in Caves owned by the same side as the target are affected. These loads represent armor piercing loads that have no explosive ability of their own and thus have no effect against infantry targets in the open. This restriction includes the Ground Only restriction.

While you are allowed to fire against any target using these loads, they will not have any effect on restricted targets. The loads with these limitations are flagged as such in the Weapon Data Dialog available from the Help Menu.

My understanding is that AT rounds will not affect infantry unless the infantry units are in a bunker, pill box, or cave. And if someone happened to leave their tank parked in the bunker and were standing next to it, both they and their tank would be affected by AT rounds.

I might make two additional notes:

1.) Infantry units in the same hex as a vehicle (but not riding the vehicle) actually gain a small degree of protection from being in the hex with the vehicle. (Just take care if your vehicle is lightly armored that you aren't attracting fire to that hex by stacking units together, thereby making an attractive target.)

2.) Infantry can be affected by AT rounds if they are riding the vehicle, not so much by the AT round itself, but the effect it has on the vehicle (see the following excerpt from the Users Manual).

Certain limitations and effects occur when a vehicle has external riders:
• A vehicle with external riders cannot fire nor can the passengers fire.
• A vehicle with external riders cannot attack in assault.
• When a vehicle with external riders is fired upon, the riders are automatically unloaded, become Disrupted, and may take losses.
• When a vehicle with external riders is assaulted, the riders are eliminated.

Best regards,
Rabbit
12-29-2010, 06:44 AM,
Rabbit hit the nail on the head, and highlighted something that a lot of people probably should do more often: take a look at the user's manual.

I know it's no fun scrolling through dry text and equations, but there are some really relevant nuggets of information in there. It's something I highly recommend all new SB players, and veterans alike do from time-to-time. I know that I do.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-30-2010, 05:26 AM,
Thanks Rabbit for the reply and Big Red One.
I did try to read the manual and I am aware a AT round will hve no effect on Infantry in practice, but was unclear after reading the manual if when firing at an hex containing both infantry and Tanks if the computer will only target the tank when firing an AT round into the hex.
It seems from what you are saying then this is the case and I thank you for clarifying something that did not seem too clear to me.

cheersGordon
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011, 08:03 PM by jomni.)
What about HE/AT without the (Vehicle Only) designation?
Can be used for both tank and infantry?
Send this user an email
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM,
If it does not have the vehicle only restriction, it will have an impact on the infantry.