• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Change coming in the DRM Coding to allow two instances per Serial Number.
12-04-2010, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
Change coming in the DRM Coding to allow two instances per Serial Number.
Guys:

John has decided to alter the DRM Code to allow for two PC instances so players who move between a main PC and a laptop will be able to do so.

The code for this has been written but it needs to be tested and we'll start that tomorrow with the idea being to make it available later in the day if all goes well. The change doesn't affect the copy of the game that people may have downloaded already - the change is on John's server end

If you have already got your game installed and want to be one of the first to try a second install on your other PC, drop me a line and I will contact you when the code is ready to go.

Thanks for all your comments today - rest assure we read them all and respect the opinions of the community.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 04:39 PM,
RE: Change coming in the DRM Coding to allow two instances per Serial Number.
Thanks!!!
12-04-2010, 07:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
I think this quick response to customer feedback proves that JTS does listen to your comments and feedback and will make changes were appropriate.
12-05-2010, 01:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2010, 01:48 AM by Assault.)
I dont understand...what happens if John Tiller goes out of business? What then? How do we still activate the game?
12-05-2010, 01:55 AM,
Quote:John has decided to alter the DRM Code to allow for two PC instances so players who move between a main PC and a laptop will be able to do so.

I think that's an extremely fair thing to do.

As far as Tiller & Co. leaving customers high & dry that should be the least of anyone's concerns & is frankly insulting to the character of the people behind these games.

I'm more concerned about the France 40 CG I'm playing right now. In spite of having played many a game I still have plenty to learn about PzC.
12-05-2010, 02:01 AM,
"As far as Tiller & Co. leaving customers high & dry that should be the least of anyone's concerns & is frankly insulting to the character of the people behind these games."

I agree.

Marquo
12-05-2010, 02:22 AM,
(12-05-2010, 02:01 AM)Marquo Wrote: "As far as Tiller & Co. leaving customers high & dry that should be the least of anyone's concerns & is frankly insulting to the character of the people behind these games."

I agree.

Marquo

I am not insulting anyone folks. I am bringing up legitimate concerns. The best one could do is respond to customers concerns instead of taking it the wrong way.
12-05-2010, 02:32 AM,
(12-05-2010, 02:22 AM)Assault Wrote:
(12-05-2010, 02:01 AM)Marquo Wrote: "As far as Tiller & Co. leaving customers high & dry that should be the least of anyone's concerns & is frankly insulting to the character of the people behind these games."

I agree.

Marquo

I am not insulting anyone folks. I am bringing up legitimate concerns. The best one could do is respond to customers concerns instead of taking it the wrong way.

Guys,

There is way to much paranoia here....

HPS just got rid of the CD check - guess what no need for CD's in the drive.

What do you think will happen if John decides to close down his business and DRM server - probably release a patch that will remove it. Or better still release the product as freeware etc.

You are all so far ahead of yourselves - and acting as though John Tiller is one of those developers that dumps unfinished product on you and walks away. You all know nothing is farther from the truth.

I suggest all have a deep breath - be happy that your concerns have been heard and that John has made the latest change re number of PC's.

If some time in the deep distant future John closes shop, I am confidant he won't forget his loyal customers.

Rant mode off....
12-05-2010, 03:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2010, 03:56 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Guys,

Marquo's question is a legitimate one. The JT store even mentions that on their FAQ:

Q: Activation requires that I be able to connect to the John Tiller Software server over the Internet. What happens if John Tiller Software goes out of business and there isn't a server to connect to?

A: We have been developing computer wargames since 1995 and almost all of the products developed since that time are still being sold and supported. We have demonstrated a unique ability to remain in the challenging wargame industry for the long term, but if what you say does happen, it is our commitment to our customers to release updates to all of our products that would not require activation.

Now, I do agree that if there is anyone out there who stands behind their product, it's JT. Also, since it's HIS company he won't have a publisher preventing him from fixing the activation if it ever comes to that. For example, Battleground 9 Chickamauga was the only title to use Safedisk. That Safedisk version wouldn't work in XP even though the game would. Talonsoft left everyone high and dry saying the game was never designed to work in XP, so tough luck. Eventually a "fix" came out that removed Safedisk and the game plays in XP now. But it's an example of how a publisher walks away and the DRM prevents a legally purchased game from being played. Again, we don't have an uncaring publisher in the picture so I think we're in good hands for the future.
12-05-2010, 04:02 AM,
Gent's,
I edited a couple of posts here for straying to far off topic, the questions asked in this thread have been relevant to the changes K43 has brought and were presented correctly. ;)

Personally i think the idea of JT leaving his customers high and dry ridiculous, but that is just my opinion.