• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Game mechanics question: firing in stacks?
11-02-2010, 03:23 AM,
Game mechanics question: firing in stacks?
I think I've asked this question at some point over the last decade, but I forgot the answer: is there any mathematical difference between firing separately versus firing in stacks?

For instance, say I have three units with 10-tanks each facing an enemy unit with 1 tank. Are my chances of inflicting damage on the enemy unit modified by selecting each of my three units individually then firing versus selecting all three of my units and firing as a stack?

I ask for the simple reason that if all things are equally, I'd rather stack fire simply to speed up the game. But if it's costing me something to do so, than I'd rather not.

(Same question applies to the modified fire rules permitting damage against entire stacks... again, does it matter if I fire each of my units individually at an enemy stack versus firing my units as a stack against the enemy stack?).

Thanks for any technical answers...
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2010, 04:04 AM,
RE: Game mechanics question: firing in stacks?
If i remember the usual answer is that no one knows for sure and different players often believe there is an advantage to firing single units or in a combined stacks.

My personal view is that firing in a combined stack causes slightly more casualties and a greater chance of disruption, however i am sure others believe different. ;)
11-02-2010, 04:09 AM,
(11-02-2010, 03:23 AM)DaveK Wrote: I ask for the simple reason that if all things are equally, I'd rather stack fire simply to speed up the game. But if it's costing me something to do so, than I'd rather not.

Mathematically - it is the same for KILLS

HOWEVER

1) The result is combine and you will never with a single stack shot take a unit from Undisrupted to BROKEN in a single shot, while in theory, Result1+Result2= final result
both result #1 and #2 could cause the unit to first disrupt and second BREAK, although this would be pretty rare.

2) If you fire ONCE vs several times, you may get different OP FIRE back at you as each shot causes the AI to figure out what responce is correct - not might make the correct choice everytime, but you will give the AI in control of the other side more times to respond.

In all I think I see what you are getting at and I personally would fire once per stack, but I can see instances where I might fire by single unit too.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-02-2010, 04:24 AM,
(11-02-2010, 04:09 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: In all I think I see what you are getting at and I personally would fire once per stack, but I can see instances where I might fire by single unit too.

Glenn

Kind of what I figured... thanks Glenn!
11-02-2010, 05:07 AM,
The flip side, which is rare and can usually be identified and your actions changed - if the unit is almost destroyed and you fire the entire stack, the units all fire even though the first fire may have been enough to destroy the defender -so the others are wasted in that case.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-02-2010, 08:20 AM,
There will also be times when you want to draw Op fire, such as when you want to move and set up AT guns next to the enemy. You then fire individual units to get the enemy to use up the maximum possible shots so your AT units can move next to the enemy in t-mode and safely deploy.
11-02-2010, 08:42 AM,
Right - and I thought of another and it opens a can or worms too - that is ASSAULTING - I often perfer a couple good odds ASSAULTs over ONE VERY GOOD Assault - just more chance of success I find. But the assault is a Atatcker vs Defender Strength and so it is much different from firing which is Attacked vs a Defense factor
Send this user an email
11-04-2010, 08:17 AM,
(11-02-2010, 08:20 AM)alaric99x Wrote: There will also be times when you want to draw Op fire, such as when you want to move and set up AT guns next to the enemy. You then fire individual units to get the enemy to use up the maximum possible shots so your AT units can move next to the enemy in t-mode and safely deploy.

That's the way to use AT guns offensively! cheers
11-05-2010, 10:49 PM,
Well or another good use might be so you can bring an ENG up to clear a minefield. I have done that also to draw fire so I can sneak an engineer into a diff adjacent hex to clear minefields.
11-05-2010, 11:25 PM,
(11-05-2010, 10:49 PM)Jim Wrote: Well or another good use might be so you can bring an ENG up to clear a minefield. I have done that also to draw fire so I can sneak an engineer into a diff adjacent hex to clear minefields.

I can see how these tactics would be effective, but isn't this referred to as "soaking off" and considered gamey? If our soldiers weren't digital, would we deliberately sacrifice real lives to accomplish these goals? I'm not sure how I would feel about ordering an infantry lieutenant to assault a dug in enemy positon so I could more safely deploy a couple of AT guns.

Am I being too critical? Are these simply tactics that the game engine makes possible and should therefore be used when needed due to the nature of the game? I've used these tactics myself, but now that I think about it...